Which head coaches are on the hot seat in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

8 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

yes. it is.

Make a poll. You're not right.

Bill Belichick will not be fired ever. It would take years of incompetence for him to be fired & even with that, I doubt Kraft would pull the cord. Also, the Patriots roster sucks. It's not like they're underachieving. They're overachieving with what they have on that roster.

18 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

They're overachieving with what they have on that roster.

overachieving does not look like missing the playoffs because you put matt patricia and joe judge on your offensive coaching staff and made so many errors along the way due to the dysfunction created by the offensive system.

26 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Bill Belichick will not be fired ever. It would take years of incompetence for him to be fired & even with that, I doubt Kraft would pull the cord. Also, the Patriots roster sucks. It's not like they're underachieving. They're overachieving with what they have on that roster.

Who's the guy responsible for building the roster again?

29 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Bill Belichick will not be fired ever.

It's hard to believe there are people out there that actually think this.

I mean, if you go with the reasoning of "he'd retire before he'd be fired" then sure.  But to think that, no matter how many losing seasons he stacks, he won't be in any danger of being forced out in one way or another is just ignoring reality.

• Like 3

I don't believe we see Belichick fired, for a few reasons. 1.) He's too good of a coach to have a bad enough season (or stretch of seasons) to justify being fired, IMO. 2.) The guy is already 71 and likely only has a few seasons left before retirement anyway. They're not going to kick a GOAT to the curb who already has one foot out of the door. 3.) Bill is going to coach until he doesn't want to anymore, and that's not going to with a team other than the Patriots.

I think at worst you'll see a "mutual parting of ways" once Belichick decides to pack it in. Perhaps you could consider that firing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't believe we see Belichick fired, for a few reasons. 1.) He's too good of a coach to have a bad enough season (or stretch of seasons) to justify being fired, IMO. 2.) The guy is already 71 and likely only has a few seasons left before retirement anyway. They're not going to kick a GOAT to the curb who already has one foot out of the door. 3.) Bill is going to coach until he doesn't want to anymore, and that's not going to with a team other than the Patriots.

I think at worst you'll see a "mutual parting of ways" once Belichick decides to pack it in. Perhaps you could consider that firing.

I think that's a fine course of reasoning.  My beef is with people saying that, just because of his past accomplishments, he's unfirable.  If, for the sake of the hypothetical, he posts another losing season, and if he also said he's not going to retire, or step down, or whatever mutual thing that would really be just a disguised firing, then I think he absolutely would be fired.  The NFL doesn't care about past accomplishments if you can't win now.  Especially since people are now putting all those Super Bowls on Brady more than Belichick now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Well that's the complicating factor I think - the roster is bad because of Belichick.

Belichick the coach should absolutely not be in any firing discussion, but Belichick the GM should've been long gone by now. But obviously, firing one but not the other would likely be impossible. I don't think Kraft moving on would be an impossibility if the Patriots keep declining & he refuses to give up control of the front office (unlikely), although how much longer he's willing to give Belichick is uncertain. That said, I agree with the notion that any parting would be "mutual" or a "retirement".

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

Not at all. Dude, I literally cover the team. Smith has 2 years right now. Last 2 years were viewed as a combined reset year. Three years to results. I think this will be moot in the end.

Dude, like, okay. You probably know better than me, I was just sharing my observations as an outsider lol.

His offense makes the most of what they have. He absolutely has done the best he could with what they had. Having $100M in dead cap and IR cap last year didn’t help at all. 

Man, you must think Kyle Pitts just sucks, then?

That said, I will credit him for salvaging Cordarelle Patterson's career.

• Like 1