Which head coaches are on the hot seat in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

On 5/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, scar988 said:

Not at all. Dude, I literally cover the team. Smith has 2 years right now. Last 2 years were viewed as a combined reset year. Three years to results. I think this will be moot in the end. 

His offense makes the most of what they have. He absolutely has done the best he could with what they had. Having $100M in dead cap and IR cap last year didn’t help at all. 

He has to improve. Even if he doesn't make the playoffs. If it stays the same or goes backwards, I wouldn't be slightly surprised to see him axed.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

He has to improve. Even if he doesn't make the playoffs. If it stays the same or goes backwards, I wouldn't be slightly surprised to see him axed.

Thing is, he has improved. The first year was rough, and they got blown out (a lot). Last year was much better, but between $80M in dead cap and $20M on IR by the end of the year, they didn’t really have a fighting chance. Both years, the team was expected to win at best 4 games, and they won 7. This year, they’re expected to win 8.5. I think this conversation will be moot in the grand scheme of things because I think they go 10-7 or 11-6 this year. But they were definitely a better 7-10 team even despite the limitations last year than they were in 2021. I think the progress continues. 

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Thing is, he has improved. The first year was rough, and they got blown out (a lot). Last year was much better, but between $80M in dead cap and $20M on IR by the end of the year, they didn’t really have a fighting chance. Both years, the team was expected to win at best 4 games, and they won 7. This year, they’re expected to win 8.5. I think this conversation will be moot in the grand scheme of things because I think they go 10-7 or 11-6 this year. But they were definitely a better 7-10 team even despite the limitations last year than they were in 2021. I think the progress continues. 

They could just as easily go 5-12 if Ridder turns out to be a flop this year. If that happens I don't think Arthur Smith gets another year.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

They could just as easily go 5-12 if Ridder turns out to be a flop this year. If that happens I don't think Arthur Smith gets another year.

That’s my thinking. Now, if those wins are late in the season, and Ridder starts to look the part, or they’re really competitive in a lot of losses, he’d probably get one more shot, but it’s year three. You expect there to be some form of progress in the rebuild by then.

9 hours ago, Danger said:

They played better with Ridder running the offense last year though. I get that not a lot of people were exposed to his play in this forum, but I was encouraged by what I saw. If they go 5-12, but they had a ton of defensive issues or injuries and lost a lot of shootouts, I don’t think Smith goes. Because the defense has needed work and new coordinator. Really depends on the situation. Which isn’t “seat is scorching hot” like the original post said. It’s slightly warm. 

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

That’s my thinking. Now, if those wins are late in the season, and Ridder starts to look the part, or they’re really competitive in a lot of losses, he’d probably get one more shot, but it’s year three. You expect there to be some form of progress in the rebuild by then.

They showed progress year 1 to year 2. They went from 8 two-plus score losses to just two. They went from no two score wins to two. Then they were 5-8 in 1-score games which are very coin-floppy. They’re getting a lot better even if the record was the same. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Find someone to love, defend, and support you unconditionally like Scar988 does with all things Atlanta. 

I claimed the team was going 2-15 last year at this point. I acknowledge how the defense will be below average at best, and needs to have a year to jell before it even has a real shot at being average. How we have no premiere pass rushers. But I will defend the guys who are being underrated. Including the head coach who has had an overperforming team the last two seasons. 

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I claimed the team was going 2-15 last year at this point. I acknowledge how the defense will be below average at best, and needs to have a year to jell before it even has a real shot at being average. How we have no premiere pass rushers. But I will defend the guys who are being underrated. Including the head coach who has had an overperforming team the last two seasons. 

I’m not judging. Making sig bets with our backup forum mascot (he’s no mtmike), going all in on Ridder, what’s not to love?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would go with this hot seat list personally:

1. Josh McDaniels no brainer - Proved to be a fraud and phony in Denver, a hack with the stunt he pulled on Indy, and the movie is repeating itself with the Raiders.  Hopefully after this year he will be blackballed and banned from ever getting another HC job again.  Well, I mean if the Patriots want him back and still think he's legit then let them do whatever.  But at this point I'm certain Steve Bellichek is far more likely to take over for his dad than McDaniels or Patricia ever will be.

2. Matt Eberflus: He had a relatively low bar to clear with his predecessor and thus far he's been well short of it.  Maybe he'll catch some wins this year but it's not been looking good so far.

3. Dennis Allen: Failed before and he's not showing he's that much different than the coach he was before.  Now will Derek Carr coming in be able to help him?  Maybe, but he's gonna have to start winning and winning fast.

4. Arthur Smith: I'd like to think he was getting close to getting it together last year with all those close games that just didn't quite land his way.  But I believe this is the final year he'll have to do it.

5. Todd Bowles: tough one because I actually like him and think he's a hell of a defensive coordinator.  But he's definitely not going to be getting a good hand of cards this year and he also checks the box of previously failed head coach.

6. Kevin Stefanski who I like, but he's got his work cut out, and it's Cleveland where they don't know the meaning of job security

7. Ron Rivera: I actually do think he's been a good fit for Washington, but I think his decision to start Wentz in that Cleveland Browns game that coat them the playoffs last year has sat pretty poorly there.  Plus he once again has a new owner calling the shots on him, and he might not be as favorable to the new guy as he was to Snyder.

Not on the hot seat but might be by season end:

Matt LaFleur: No he's not on the hot seat right now, but he has to prove he can turn Love into something special, and get the offense back on track after last year.  Failure on that part and he and GM Brian Gutenkunst will feel the heat at the end of this season.

Ron Rivera is the obvious choice.I would be very surprised if he is still their head coach in 2024

For the others,they all can keep their job but the 2023 season will be very important like Josh McDaniels,Brandon Staley,Todd Bowles,Kevin Stefanski,Dennis Allen,Arthur Smith,Matt Eberflus and Robert Saleh

10 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

4. Arthur Smith: I'd like to think he was getting close to getting it together last year with all those close games that just didn't quite land his way.  But I believe this is the final year he'll have to do it.

The Falcons were hamstrung by cap hell the last two seasons. He didn't really get a real shot until this year. I think he has this year and then his seat either gets hot (7-10 or worse) or goes ice cold (playoff appearance, winning record in first season not hindered by cap hell.)

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

The Falcons were hamstrung by cap hell the last two seasons. He didn't really get a real shot until this year. I think he has this year and then his seat either gets hot (7-10 or worse) or goes ice cold (playoff appearance, winning record in first season not hindered by cap hell.)

Yeah I kinda was alluding to that.  I perhaps should have put Bowles and Rivera both before him as there is a higher likelihood they both will be gone before he is.  And he does have the benefit of a wide open division which at this point any of the 3 between ATL, CAR and NO could take.  Problem is he's starting Ridder now who we don't know how will do.  That's going to be the key is how well Ridder does.

14 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

AFC

Robert Saleh, Jets

Kevin Stefanski, Browns

Mike Vrabel, Titans

Brandon Staley, Chargers

Josh McDaniels, Raiders

NFC

Ron Rivera, Commanders

Mike McCarthy, Cowboys

Dennis Allen, Saints

1. Pretty sure his seat is just fine, unless Aaron Rodgers blows it big time or something.  I'm willing to bet Jets are in the playoffs this season as a wildcard even if Buffalo still wins the div.

2. 9-8 in 2021 and 10-7 last year, no way his seat is hot either.  Plus I think he was given quite the Christmas present when the Cowboys let Kellen Moore go and he picked him up.  Division race is gonna be a lot tighter between them and the Chiefs this year.

3. I think it was a mistake to let Moore go as mentioned already, but even with the last two playoff losses to SF, MM is a long way from his seat being hot.  He goes nowhere unless the Cowboys suddenly look like the 2018 Packers, and that's not going to happen.