Which head coaches are on the hot seat in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

Blazing butts:
Arthur Smith (Falcons) - pieces for an explosive offense are there, now it's time to make it happen.
Kevin Stefanski (Browns) - job security isn't much in the NFL; it's Year 4 of Stefanski and the Browns need Deshaun Watson to start producing in line with his pay. If not, we know who'll get fired and it won't be Deshaun.
Brandon Staley (Chargers) - he has Justin Herbert, a talented roster, and an underperforming defense. No more historic playoff collapses.
Todd Bowles (Buccaneers) - Bucs will probably suck; if they end up drafting Caleb Williams, I strongly doubt Bowles will be the coach to oversee the start of his NFL career.
Ron Rivera (Commanders) - Riverboat is auditioning in front of new ownership, after all.

Needs results to cool down his rump:
Matt Eberflus (Bears) - Fields is expected to take a leap this year; if he doesn't, defensive-minded Flus just might take the hit in favor of an offensive guru.
Mike McCarthy (Cowboys) - McCarthy has taken the reins of the offense; now he'll be expected to consistently win in the playoffs (needs to stop running into Shanahan).
Robert Saleh (Jets) - he needed a QB, he got one. Now it's time for the Jets to take off.
Josh McDaniels (Raiders) - we've already seen the same old falling outs with players we've come to expect from JMcD. Who knows if Garoppolo was a wise choice to take over from Carr?
Dennis Allen (Saints) - so, what does Allen do well, exactly? How stable is his position? The division looks weak - Saints need to take advantage.

Getting a little warm down there:
Jonathan Gannon (Cardinals) - sure, he's a first-year HC. Sure, the Cards are expected to be one of the worst teams in football. But when that happens, do you see Bidwell being happy? I don't. I think Gannon's seat will get hotter all year and the majority of Cardinals fans will be questioning his ability to lead the team in future seasons.
Sean McDermott (Bills) - one of the better coaches in the league, no doubt. Without a Super Bowl berth this season, though, chatter regarding a replacement might just get a little louder.
Sean Payton (Broncos) - Payton is expected to bring professionalism, structure, discipline, and competence to an organization that was lacking in all under Hackett. He's also firmly expected to turn Russell Wilson around, however. Let's see if he does.
Dan Campbell (Lions) - Campbell is in Detroit's good graces for now but I think we can all see a situation where the Lions don't deliver on their hype.  Campbell would surely get the blame for that.
Matt Lafleur (Packers) - GB is said to believe in Love; if he doesn't deliver or at least look promising, Lafleur could pay the price for that lack of vision.
Bill Belichick (Patriots) - the standard in New England is excellence - they've fallen short of those standards for years now. Nobody is going to tell me BB is bulletproof.
Mike Vrabel (Titans) - I get the sense that the Titans like Vrabel, but they can't like how last year went. Improvement should be hoped for. 

Stone cold cheeks:
Andy Reid (Chiefs) - Chiefs Kingdom reigns, as does Big Red.
Kyle Shanahan (49ers) - Lance can bust and it wouldn't even matter, provided Purdy continues to thrive in Shanny's system. Would you even doubt Shanahan's ability to get something out of Darnold? 49ers are perennial powers.
John Harbaugh (Ravens) - the long-time Baltimore boss might attract a little heat with a subpar year, but that aside I think he's safe, no?
Mike Tomlin (Steelers) - Pittsburgh is a head coach's dream gig; Tomlin always has the Steelers performing well, and they're not expected to do anything big this year. I don't see why they'd think of firing him now, of all times.
Pete Carroll (Seahawks) - unless Geno falls off a cliff and the team falls apart, nobody is looking to axe Carroll.
Sean McVay (Rams) - I expect retirement questions come February as per usual with McVay, but LA wouldn't dream of firing him.
Frank Reich (Panthers) - Reich will be given a reasonable timeframe to develop Young and this Carolina team.
Shane Steichen (Colts)  - ditto the above.
Demeco Ryans (Texans) - ditto the above; Houston doesn't have the best recent track record in terms of loyalty to their head coaches but Demeco seems to be a tremendous fit with the organization and their project at this point.
Zac Taylor (Bengals) - the "Taylor sucks!" takes seemed to quiet down as soon as Burrow started playing like a top-3 QB; funny how that works, huh?
Doug Pederson (Jaguars) - Pederson has done a great job in JAX already; it's hard to believe they'd turn on him so soon.
Kevin O'Connell (Vikings) - ditto the above.
Mike McDaniel (Dolphins) - ditto the above.
Brian Daboll (Giants) - ditto the above - yes, there's the chance to go from Bono to Bozo as Mara pointed out - but it's hard to see that happening so quickly. 
Nick Sirianni (Eagles) - fresh off a Super Bowl run with a terrific roster and QB, this year ought to be smooth sailing for Sirianni.

• Like 1

I'd be pretty shocked if Eberflus was fired next year, unless there's some massive collapse with players quitting on the team midseason or something.  I get the sense that the Bears org is trying to build from the ground up, and I think that includes giving the coaching staff a few seasons to establish some consistency in the scheme.

4 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Needs results to cool down his rump:

Matt Eberflus (Bears) - Fields is expected to take a leap this year; if he doesn't, defensive-minded Flus just might take the hit in favor of an offensive guru.

I actually agree.

Now I don't believe Eberflus has done anything wrong at all, but if Fields fails then the GM Poles has set the team up to have a lot of draft capital to tr and move for a new guy. And why would they let a staff take a chance at botching a new QB? Getsy may get scapegoated too but who knows? Pace used Fox as the scapegoat as he revamped the Bears roster, I could see Poles doing something similar.

Side note - It sounds like the new President/CEO Warren is sticking strictly to the financial side of the organization but I'm always skeptical of that. I think he has proven to be pretty cutthroat with how he poached USC and UCLA to the Big Ten, so I could potentially see him putting pressure on Poles. Fully head cannon, but just my thought  process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Kevin Stefanski (Browns) - job security isn't much in the NFL; it's Year 4 of Stefanski and the Browns need Deshaun Watson to start producing in line with his pay

The Browns need Kevin Stefanski to start exuding leadership. This has nothing to do with Watson, he needs to do what Philly did and formulate an offense that is conducive to his skillset, its not hard. He literally has everything he needs to win, go out there and get it done or be gone. People need to stop making excuses for this guy

4 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Arthur Smith (Falcons) - pieces for an explosive offense are there, now it's time to make it happen.

I don’t think he’s on the hot seat. He is new and the Falcons essentially tore it down to the studs after the Matt Ryan & Julio Jones trades. They’ve restocked nicely, but are still so young. I think his seat is probably safe, unless they’re bottom 5 in the NFL bad…which I don’t anticipate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Zac Taylor (Bengals) - the "Taylor sucks!" takes seemed to quiet down as soon as Burrow started playing like a top-3 QB; funny how that works, huh?

I actually really like Zac and beyond how good Burrow has been he deserves a lot of credit for our success. He's come a long way in regards to his HC duties (mainly play calling) and his impact on the the locker room culture can't be understated. 

5 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Blazing butts:

Yeah definitely  off here. Smith was handed the keys to a 1982 beater with no engine and said good. Luck took 2 years for the team to finally eat all the dead cap. Now after that he has a new DC after Pees retired.  

The team finally got to have an offseason to sign talent aside from the scarps at min contracts like the last 2 years.  Only way he is fired is if this team ends up going like 2-15 and since he manages back to back 7-10 seasons with far lesser talent that does not seem likely

Doug Pederson (Jaguars) - Pederson has done a great job in JAX already; it's hard to believe they'd turn on him so soon.
Kevin O'Connell (Vikings) - ditto the above.
Mike McDaniel (Dolphins) - ditto the above.
Brian Daboll (Giants) - ditto the above - yes, there's the chance to go from Bono to Bozo as Mara pointed out - but it's hard to see that happening so quickly. 

Dan Campbell (Lions) - Campbell is in Detroit's good graces for now but I think we can all see a situation where the Lions don't deliver on their hype.  Campbell would surely get the blame for that.

🤔