Running Back Committee, or Will There Be a Standout?

vike daddy

As potent as the Vikings offense should be, I am not enthusiastic about the talent at the running back position.  Mattison is good, but I don't see him as a work horse back.  The free agents that are still out there, except Hunt maybe, that could be that running back, but I have reservations even about him.  I suppose some believe that a work horse isn't necessary or important. However, that kind of weapon makes both the offense and defense better, because a superior run game can control the clock.  The quick strike offense, contrary, can wear out your own team's defense. 

7 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I respectfully disagree.

Mattison isn’t the exclusive playmaker that Cook has been for the Vikings offense. What O’Connell will be hoping for is a level of consistency that can complement the team’s passing game.

Alexander Mattison embarks on what is destined to be a huge season for him personally. The running back position is undergoing a transformation, where it was once the most pivotal position on a team’s offense, it’s now almost an afterthought for some. Hence the Vikings released the highly talented and highly paid Cook in favor of re-signing Mattison on a 2-year $7 million contract with a cap hit this season of just $2.4 million.

At just 25 years old, and with four years of experience, but without being run into the ground like a lead tailback usually is – Mattison is an intriguing proposition. If he can lead the Vikings running game well, and establish himself as a genuine RB1, there’s another more lucrative contract out there for him. If he doesn’t then it’s floating around as a backup in the league for a few more years. In his own words, Mattison prepares to live the dream, “I’m blessed to be in this position, it’s something that I’ve dreamed of since I was six”

While waiting for his time to arrive finally Mattison says he has “always prepared to be RB1” and he is ready for the pressure that comes with a starting role, and is pivotal to the team’s game plan. If Mattison can find that alongside the newly signed Myles Gaskin and Ty Chandler. It should lead to a more balanced Vikings offense than the one that was boom or bust at times last season.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/alexander-mattison-live?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Mattison isn’t the exclusive playmaker that Cook has been for the Vikings offense. What O’Connell will be hoping for is a level of consistency that can complement the team’s passing game.

Alexander Mattison embarks on what is destined to be a huge season for him personally. The running back position is undergoing a transformation, where it was once the most pivotal position on a team’s offense, it’s now almost an afterthought for some. Hence the Vikings released the highly talented and highly paid Cook in favor of re-signing Mattison on a 2-year $7 million contract with a cap hit this season of just $2.4 million.

At just 25 years old, and with four years of experience, but without being run into the ground like a lead tailback usually is – Mattison is an intriguing proposition. If he can lead the Vikings running game well, and establish himself as a genuine RB1, there’s another more lucrative contract out there for him. If he doesn’t then it’s floating around as a backup in the league for a few more years. In his own words, Mattison prepares to live the dream, “I’m blessed to be in this position, it’s something that I’ve dreamed of since I was six”

While waiting for his time to arrive finally Mattison says he has “always prepared to be RB1” and he is ready for the pressure that comes with a starting role, and is pivotal to the team’s game plan. If Mattison can find that alongside the newly signed Myles Gaskin and Ty Chandler. It should lead to a more balanced Vikings offense than the one that was boom or bust at times last season.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/alexander-mattison-live?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The question is...can he be the RB1 that consistently produces positive yardage, taking time off the clock, and keeping the defense fresh?  

On 9/3/2023 at 2:35 PM, Captain Relax said:

I respectfully disagree.

Having a 2/3 man rotation at RB truly is favourable than a single bell cow imo. Everyone has fresh legs, fresh bodies means less chance to be injured ect

It's not worth the price tag to pay a bell cow these days

Edited by viking
  • Like 2

The Vikes RBs are in a good position.   As a bold-ish prediction, the offense will put up 6,500 yards in total offense and break 500 points.    I'm breaking the yardage down as 4,700 yards passing and 1,800 yards rushing, with Mattison logging 1,100 yards and 12 rushing TDs.   

I see Mattison getting the first two series of each game, with minor spells.   Then, I think they rotate Gaskins and Chandler in the middle of the game which allows Mattison to stay fresh and be ready to close games.   

As exciting as 4th quarter comebacks are, I rather enjoy watching the O-line maul the daylights out of defenses . . . Gutting their will.   Envision a tourist and bison not meeting for tea . . .😂

Edited by ArcticNorseman
Name fix
  • Like 3

Head coach Kevin O’Connell didn’t offer a timeline for Nwangwu, who he said is dealing with lower-back issues, and made no promises of Nwangwu being back this year:

Kene, who we were able to carry through [on the 53-man roster] and then put on injured reserve gives him the opportunity to work through his injury and ultimately maybe return to help us a some point — don’t want to put a timeline on that. Conversations with Kene, He’s feeling better and better we’ll continue to work through that and try to get him back with us at some point this year.”

“Putting timelines on some things can be unfair to the player. We want him to feel strong and ready to go to truly have his impact on the team that he’s had. We’re working with Kene every single day on that. We’re going to be with him every step of the way.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/kene-nwangwu-kevin-oconnell-alexander-mattison/?fbclid=IwAR3wbs07IEBv6PiPebBNCYo-Rf5yq8Nv9WnaKqoQmR5a9myZ5qcnEGP5CBE

• 3 weeks later...

O'Connell: "Nothing changes for him. I still have the feelings I had when I first talked about Alex and his role for us and still feel the same. There are a thousand things that we can all do better to improve our run game, but as far as Alex Mattison, he's our lead back, and we continue to want to try to build things around him and marry the run and the pass. To improve the run game, it's going to take all 11 guys on the field regardless of what personnel we have, but Alex knows exactly the expectations for him as our lead back, and I think he's excited to continue to attack."

https://www.vikings.com/news/chargers-week3-final-thoughts?fbclid=IwAR2zLtj45CmPYD9YcpsQIt5Knltl-E_4qhrXtbE-qj6Yof1t4eYtZCUveSo

I hope the run game improves this week...yet, O'Connell needs to help out by creating better opportunities for the backs to succeed.  So far, his career as a play caller has been overly concentrated on the passing attack to make the Vikings offense pretty one dimensional.

I guess I remain skeptical regarding the talent at running back, even with the addition of Akers.  The interior offensive line play is not very good. Will that change with Risner playing and Bradbury returning to health?  I have my doubts.  Can O'Connell call effective running plays in spite of the talent on the OL and at the running back position?  Well, he hasn't so far.

The Vikings season is squarely on the shoulders of Kirk Cousin and the passing game.  We will see how that holds up.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vikings mostly used a rushing attack of Alexander Mattison and recently acquired rusher Cam Akers and were able to move the ball well against Carolina. The duo carried the ball 22 times for 126 yards but didn't get in the end zone.

Mattison averaged 5.6 yards per carry on his 17 attempts while Akers averaged 8.0 yards per attempt on his five tries. These two running backs helped to keep the defense honest and give the team some tempo.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/takeaways-minnesota-vikings-win-carolina-panthers-week-4/4?fbclid=IwAR3LQisX50ztV73P52G0JnAx6QmGcArnx45KnwAX0X_QFlgfX2sQMJfCXEE

• Like 1