Running Back Committee, or Will There Be a Standout?

vike daddy

The Vikings lost yardage on five runs against the Falcons and rushed for no gain four times, excluding the four times they were sacked for 19 yards. They simply can't afford to keep putting a backup quarterback in those extra-long second and third downs.

According to Sportradar, the Vikings have been stuffed for negative yardage on 14.4% of their running plays, the second-worst rate in the league behind Arizona.

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/nfl/vikings/vikings-stay-afloat-behind-oconnells-steady-coaching/89-517af30c-c447-4cd5-bcda-a24930ee6969?fbclid=IwAR0KOzE7BhSnOivxN96BkN896OaxCnUmHMDANGopD7pL6BR3s-7lnDarI9Y

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Time to give Chandler and Kene some run. 

O’Connell: "Hopefully, we’ll be able to get Ty more involved and assume a little bit more of that role Cam was assuming and really starting to thrive getting the touches in games, and the physicality which he was playing with."

"We’re gonna feel not having Cam just overall in our locker room and out there on Sundays but I’m excited to see Ty. I think from the time he’s gotten here he just continues to show a level of explosiveness and doing some really good things with the ball in his hand and kind of growing as a player right before our eyes so I think he’ll get some opportunities and then Kene. Kene gives us an experienced guy with some juice and some explosiveness as well to kind of continue to have a committee approach to that backfield and ride the hot hand."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/excited-to-give?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Huge opportunity for Chandler to showcase himself for 2024. Hopefully KOC affords him the opportunity to do so with a respectable amount of touches moving forward.

I predict that Chandler will have the season long run this weekend against the Saints. Mattison and Akers both had 19 yard runs and Dobbs has a 22 yard run.

• Like 2

Q: On the direct snap, when did you guys put that in and what made that the moment to call it?

KOC: “Yeah, we put it in this week. We’ve had a couple things kind of — similar thoughts up at other times. But, you know, we just wanted to try to, you know, find some different unique ways against a really, really good front. It’s hard to get big with them and just think you’re going to run the ball down there, not many people have. So we wanted to try to see how we could get different numbers at the point, still have a chance to, you know, punch it in, but also give ourselves an advantage of making them react on the fly. And I thought our guys executed it. You know, as soon as I saw big CD out there, there was really one guy left, I thought we were in good shape.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-kevin-oconnell-quotes-josh-dobbs-dj-wonnum-kirk-cousins/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UhqtlqV88Lq_QOTcIUof24fvUwM9ClcXTxKr5vrFJ52G01pSXyyN5utI

• Like 1

The New York Jets waived running back Michael Carter on Tuesday, a surprising move for a team searching for answers on offense.

Coach Robert Saleh hinted Monday that schematic and personnel changes could happen this week with New York off to a miserable start on offense. And the first known move came a day later with Carter being cut.

Carter had a promising rookie season during which he ran for 639 yards and four touchdowns after being drafted in the fourth round out of North Carolina in 2021. But the shifty and versatile running back saw his role diminish in his second season even after rookie Breece Hall was injured.

https://apnews.com/article/jets-michael-carter-aaron-rodgers-5c5f65155bb4730fc39b34da9a0187d0

?????

Last year, on 114 rushing attempts, Carter ranked second-to-last in the NFL per EPA/rush, a circumstance that is already adversely affecting the Vikings in 2023. Adding Carter might cause the Spider-Man meme in real life. Only Leonard Fournette performed worse per EPA/rush in 2022 than Carter.

Still, Carter has played in 39 NFL games, starting 21 and tabulating 1760 yards from scrimmage on 361 career touches. That’s 4.9 yards per touch. The veteran runner is arguably more effective as an RB out of the backfield, grabbing 92 receptions for 681 since 2021.

Carter was a 4th-Round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, 12 spots before the Vikings selected Kene Nwangwu.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/shortlist-for-free?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1