Running Back Committee, or Will There Be a Standout?

vike daddy

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I would love to see Nwangwu take a major leap in his role at running back. This team needs that type of speed on the field. 

I’d love this as well. Speed kills. Let’s not forget that Chandler ran a 4.38 40 rd dash. Pretty fast, imo. Also, Chandler looks like a much more natural back, imo. So, we will see how it plays out (hopefully this training camp). 

https://www.nfl.com/videos/ty-chandler-runs-40-yard-dash-at-2022-combine

O'Connell: "I feel really good about our running back room and Alex Mattison is a huge reason why. I think he’s proven that he can, whether over the past few years when he stepped in there, handling a really good workload and producing and also just in our short term together, his ability to handle the roles and responsibilities of that position in our offense, so I feel great about where Alex is at. The next step in his career is just obviously a little bit more consistent opportunities which we hope to provide for him.

And then with Kene and Ty, and obviously the rookie, we want to allow a real competition to take place. We feel that there’s talented guys behind Alex that can provide roles within our offense or maybe depending on down and distance, depending on situation in the game, we could get some different guys in there but all knowing that it’s about that complete group being able to do everything we ask them on every single snap both in the run and the pass game."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/says-not-so-fast?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy

• 2 weeks later...

Alexander Mattison’s rookie deal was up this season and he was set for a trip to free agency that he thought would take him somewhere else. During an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio this week, Mattison said he “actually didn’t think that I’d be back in Minnesota” and said it was a “blessing” to reach agreement on a new, two-year deal with the team in March.

Mattison: “I’m thankful for having Dalvin in that running back room and challenging me to challenge him every single day, so that kind of helped me out within my preparation. Yeah, with that understanding of knowing kind of where my role is going to be and maximize it. I’ve been a lot more prepared in the way of understanding where I’m going to be at in the playbook, where I’m going to have to be at physically, you know, stamina. It’s just a whole bunch that I have to now take into account but without applying too much pressure, of course, because this is a game of ball that we have grown to love and grown to adapt to at all different levels. I’m definitely comfortable as a professional athlete and understanding what I have to do to get the job done. Now just cranking that thing up and getting ready for this opportunity that I have in front of me.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/24/alexander-mattison-dalvin-cooks-departure-definitely-changes-things/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first play of [Wednesday's practice] 11-on-11 was a run by Alexander Mattison. The second play of the period wound up being a catch by … Mattison on a pass from Kirk Cousins.

After the release of Dalvin Cook, Mattison is now in position to become the starting running back as he enters his fifth pro season. He has six career starts under his belt when filling in for Cook since 2019. Beyond Mattison, the Vikings will be evaluating Kene Nwangwu, Ty Chandler and DeWayne McBride.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-alexander-mattison-kj-osborn-embrace-opportunities?fbclid=IwAR2hUFGoi70_a6k31JJjCo_yC94R4Y0eRCSNXn4YLWjOFlGmy_t33dFWLFo

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The first play of [Wednesday's practice] 11-on-11 was a run by Alexander Mattison. The second play of the period wound up being a catch by … Mattison on a pass from Kirk Cousins.

After the release of Dalvin Cook, Mattison is now in position to become the starting running back as he enters his fifth pro season. He has six career starts under his belt when filling in for Cook since 2019. Beyond Mattison, the Vikings will be evaluating Kene Nwangwu, Ty Chandler and DeWayne McBride.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-alexander-mattison-kj-osborn-embrace-opportunities?fbclid=IwAR2hUFGoi70_a6k31JJjCo_yC94R4Y0eRCSNXn4YLWjOFlGmy_t33dFWLFo

Mattison will be solid. I'm most eager to see what McBride brings to the table. Outside of being an incredibly productive runner in college, I think that having a back who utilizes the Capital-Lower Case-Capital formula in both of his names will really help the team out. 

• Like 1

I have always enjoyed the power running game.  I love it when a back like Derrick Henry takes over the 4th quarter and demoralizes the defense in a way that the passing game just can't.  To do that, you need a back who is locked in and willing to hit the hole with great violence, like a Roger Craig.  Power runners are the O Linemans best friend in the 4th.  Offensive linemen get injured most often pass protecting late in the game.  When they can fire off the line and be aggressive they are less likely to get hurt.

Is a 4th quarter workhorse on the Vikings roster?  Can Mattison and this line own and demoralize the opponents defense?  It's an open question to the group for discussion. I don't have an answer at this point.  So, at this point I hope so.

Edited by Captain Relax
added word for clarity
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

I have always enjoyed the power running game.  I love it when a back like Derrick Henry takes over the 4th quarter and demoralizes the defense in a way that the passing game just can't.  To do that, you need a back who is locked in and willing to hit the hole with great violence, like a Roger Craig.  Power runners are the O Linemans best friend in the 4th.  Offensive linemen get injured most often pass protecting late in the game.  When they can fire off the line and be aggressive they are less likely to get hurt.

Is a 4th quarter workhorse on the Vikings roster?  Can Mattison and this line own demoralize the opponents defense?  It's an open question to the group for discussion. I don't have an answer at this point.  So, at this point I hope so.

I think McBride has the best odds at becoming that guy. Incredible strength and balance.

• Like 1

Alexander Mattison harbors none of the hard feelings that have become so prevalent across the league among his more accomplished peers. Being back with the Minnesota Vikings after briefly becoming a free agent, now promoted from reliable backup to unchallenged starter, has simply been “a blessing,” as the fifth-year player has often said this offseason.

Mattison: “It’s my job now to go out there and prove their decision right. I’m extremely honored that they trust and believe in me.”

Wes Phillips: “I think he’s proven it over his career that when he’s gotten opportunities, he’s been a very productive back. He always knows what to do. He’s very intelligent as far as our scheme, our system, pass protection, and then he’s a talented back when he’s running. He’s always going forward."

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/nfl/vikings/vikings-give-their-backfield-to-alexander-mattison-seeking-efficiency-on-the-ground-and-against-the-cap/89-510fbe9e-ff5c-4a50-a12f-861ed03bf1fd?fbclid=IwAR1GzJBdEfbguBs8ZAlvMgILmlNxSISqKxi4OvFzJ085MkkRmdq9moXn6F0

Following a workout earlier Thursday, the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with running back Abram Smith, according to a tweet from the XFL.

Smith signs after a successful season with the XFL’s DC Defenders, where he league in rushing with 791 yards and 7 touchdowns. He was also the first overall pick in the skill positions portion of the XFL Draft before the season.

Before his stint in the XFL, Smith spent a brief time as an undrafted free agent with the New Orleans Saints in 2021. Smith was cut after a few months on the roster. Before making the NFL, Smith, 24, was a standout at Baylor University. In 2021, he led the team in rushing with 1,601 yards and 12 touchdowns and proved to be an integral part of a Baylor team that was crowned Big 12 Champions.

Smith’s signing comes days after running back Alexander Mattison left training camp with a leg injury. While the injury does not appear serious, the Vikings may keep him out of practice for an extended period. As a result, there’s a possibility that Smith is nothing more than a depth body.

However, Smith’s signing could also indicate uneasiness from the current running back room. Outside of Mattison, the room lacks much experience, and while Smith doesn’t offer much experience, he is fresh off of a 150-carry campaign in a professional league.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/03/minnesota-vikings-sign-rb-abram-smith/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1-LDPOYnMV1NhEHXd7-iVNvSXqfPwjinuHxMty8KiFft8yPDcIhGplzZ4

Edited by vike daddy

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Smith’s signing comes days after running back Alexander Mattison left training camp with a leg injury. While the injury does not appear serious, the Vikings may keep him out of practice for an extended period.

Alexander Mattison more than looked the part of a lead running back under the lights Thursday night.

He kept his legs moving through contact on a lower red zone drill until after crossing the goal line. He pounded his chest in celebration. Mattison also showed his determination when he caught a lower red zone pass from Kirk Cousins shy of the sticks and dived across the goal line for a score.

https://www.vikings.com/news/brian-oneill-takes-2023-training-camp-night-practice?fbclid=IwAR26eLWRTx5EDtDKKjAh_NYUN-swER3c36nPIsG8IH1QlZcEPuH5iudW5Ho

not so fast at holding Mattison back, it appears...

Jeff Diamond, former Vikings GM: "Third-year man Kene Nwangwu is listed as the No. 2 running back behind Alexander Mattison, who is running well in camp and will replace the departed Dalvin Cook as the starter (Mattison actually was the better short-yardage back last season but not the home run threat that Cook was). 

Nwangwu has the speed to make long runs, as he has shown with his excellent kickoff returning. But he’s been out with a minor injury recently. I like the shifty Ty Chandler — last year’s fifth-rounder who was impressive last year in preseason and looks good in camp — to win the No. 2 spot. Rookie seventh-round pick DeWayne McBride also will have his chances to impress the coaches with lots of preseason playtime. 

The Vikings run game ranked 28th, while the passing game was sixth best last year. There is a lot of emphasis at camp practices on improving the rushing attack to balance the offense better, and the No. 2 running back spot is essential to give Mattison relief (and Mattison has had a few injury issues over his first four seasons). "

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/vikings-insider/the-gm-view/observations?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

35 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

McBride and Pace are the rookies I'm most excited to watch. I hope they get a good amount of snaps tonight.

I hope we get to see at least some of the new veterans (obviously, I don't think we're going to see Cousins or Jefferson and probably not Mattison or Hockenson either, especially him because of his illness)...but I'd like to see some of the new players on defense, most notably Davenport and Lowry, to see how they look.  

• Like 1