Running Back Committee, or Will There Be a Standout?

vike daddy

Kene Nwangwu didn't play on Thursday due to an injury, so second-year running back Ty Chandler was given the chance to start for the Vikings in their preseason opener against Seattle.

Chandler ended up touching the football more than any other Minnesota skill-position player on Thursday and he made the most of his opportunities. The young running back finished with 70 total yards on 15 touches (4.7 yards per touch), and he also looked solid as a pass protector.

With Nwangwu unable to play, Chandler used Thursday night to take the lead in the battle to open up the regular season as the Vikings' No. 2 running back behind Alexander Mattison.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/7-takeaways-minnesota-vikings-preseason-loss-seattle-seahawks/2?fbclid=IwAR3Xk2O8vsxR3UaffVYqxZ993s2Tu0wJVKyDwIHM89cD87heGOct1yP76Bs

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance McBride gets pushed to the Practice Squad?

IMO that's where he is trending after 1 preseason game. I don't think you can justify keeping him as RB5 (Mattison, Chandler, Kene, and Ham). He was abysmal returning kicks and that experiment should be over.

• Like 2

With what we’ve heard from training camp, and what we saw during the first preseason game, McBride might not even be worth a practice squad spot. There’s going to be a number of solid looking backs getting cut, and a number of those guys could be worth putting on the PS over McBride. 

• Like 2

This is probably the wrong thread to put this in but I watched the NFL Icons episode on Walter Payton.  I am beginning to believe that he was the best RB in league history.  I used to reserve that spot for Jim Brown.  But, Brown always played on championship caliber teams.  At least 10 years of Payton's 13 year career the Bears were, at best, mediocre.  Most of their seasons they were really bad. Payton WAS the offense! He played hard...he never avoided a hit. Instead, he delivered first contact.

Emmett Smith and Franco Harris never had the pressure or the lack of support that Payton had.  But, he excelled. He rushed for over 16,000 yards, 4,000 more than Jim Brown.

He could run routes and catch passes like a wide receiver.  He could throw better than most quarterbacks and he pass blocked better then any lineman he ever played with.  

The only other great running back that was as handicapped by lack of talent around him was Barry Sanders.  

In this age when the role of RB's is diminished in the league, new fans will be prevented from seeing a running back take over a game and break the will of an opposing defense.  The game, presently, is so skewed to favor the passing game.  The prominence of the QB has sucked the energy and excellence of the running attack.  Which is too bad.  There are several backs in the league who could be the weapon that wears down the defense and controls the clock.  I contend that the best weapon a defense has is an dominant running game on offense.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance McBride gets pushed to the Practice Squad?

I've learned over my many years that no matter what event is being considered, there is always a possibility, however remote it may be, that it could happen.

Edited by Purplexing
poor grammar, awkward wording, corrected
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

In this age when the role of RB's is diminished in the league, new fans will be prevented from seeing a running back take over a game and break the will of an opposing defense.  The game, presently, is so skewed to favor the passing game.  The prominence of the QB has sucked the energy and excellence of the running attack.  Which is too bad.  There are several backs in the league who could be the weapon that wears down the defense and controls the clock.  I contend that the best weapon a defense has is an dominant running game on offense.

The others will tell you that the rushing game has just changed, that it's not really diminished.  But, I agree with you.  The passing game is even different, because it's trending towards more of a short passing game (as sort of an extension of the rushing attack), which at least IMO, is boring football.  While the "West Coast Offense" (or Chilly's version, the Wet Coat) is effective, it's not really fun to watch, because it's a lot of swing passes and slants.  And with edge rushing being so way far ahead of offensive line play, the game will be even more shorter passing, because the QBs have to get the ball out quicker.  It's dink and dunk football. 

While big, downfield plays still happen, I bet it's happening less and less.  I know some sites have started tracking so-called "explosive plays" recently, but we'll never truly know how it compares to the past.  I hope it does come back around eventually and we start having more power rushing, but it may not happen in my lifetime (although I'd like to think I have at least another 40+ yrs in me).   

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:03 PM, SemperFeist said:

With what we’ve heard from training camp, and what we saw during the first preseason game, McBride might not even be worth a practice squad spot. There’s going to be a number of solid looking backs getting cut, and a number of those guys could be worth putting on the PS over McBride. 

Crucify him after one game and 6 carries?  Wow, sure if he totally does nothing the rest of the two games they play, yeah he will be cut and might not make the practice squad. 

We will see who is cut, I assume most teams only keep 3 RBs maybe 4, 49ers might have to cut Mason or Davis-Price and both of them would be worth picking up for a power back.  Would be nice to get a power back if McBride cannot fill that void.  Travis Homer could be cut by the Bears but not sure he is some amazing back, with the great play by Emanuel Wilson in that game, Packers might cut Lew Nicholas or Patrick Taylor and they could be an option as well.  Curious what the Lions do with Mo Ibrahim, I would not mind him either as a change of pace power back.  Bryant Koback and SaRodorick Thompson could be cut on Seattle and both might be worth a shot also.  

Sucks to be a RB though, that is why they get paid so little, there are so many options out there in the draft and UDFA guys or guys just floating around.  And all teams want is a good year or two and then they move onto someone cheaper usually.  Say Mattison keeps getting hurt and is just so so, no way he is brought back again they would just move on, especially if say Ty Chandler does well and they are paying that dude nothing at all then when his contract is up move onto the next late round or UDFA RB.  

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Crucify him after one game and 6 carries?  Wow, sure if he totally does nothing the rest of the two games they play, yeah he will be cut and might not make the practice squad. 

Slow down. read. He didn't only say one game and 6 carries. He said "with what we've heard from training camp", too. No one is being crucified, but he hasn't stood out yet and that matters. As a late round pick you need to show your value early to unseat veterans that know the system and are trusted by the coaching staff. College ability doesn't mean much once you get on the field with the pros. You sink or swim, and so far McBride has been treading water.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

Agreed.  With what we've heard from training camp, McBride came in way behind the 8-ball because of the scheme he ran in college and has had a lot of catching up to do.  I think the decision about whether he makes the 53 or even the practice squad depends upon how much progress he makes from when he came in to where he is at the end of camp. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

We will see who is cut, I assume most teams only keep 3 RBs maybe 4, 49ers might have to cut Mason or Davis-Price and both of them would be worth picking up for a power back.  Would be nice to get a power back if McBride cannot fill that void.  Travis Homer could be cut by the Bears but not sure he is some amazing back, with the great play by Emanuel Wilson in that game, Packers might cut Lew Nicholas or Patrick Taylor and they could be an option as well.  Curious what the Lions do with Mo Ibrahim, I would not mind him either as a change of pace power back.  Bryant Koback and SaRodorick Thompson could be cut on Seattle and both might be worth a shot also.  

Sucks to be a RB though, that is why they get paid so little, there are so many options out there in the draft and UDFA guys or guys just floating around.  And all teams want is a good year or two and then they move onto someone cheaper usually.  Say Mattison keeps getting hurt and is just so so, no way he is brought back again they would just move on, especially if say Ty Chandler does well and they are paying that dude nothing at all then when his contract is up move onto the next late round or UDFA RB.  

But Ty Chandler will need to learn how to pass block, and get better at blocking, altogether.  Same for McBride.  He ran mostly behind terrible 3rd-string blocking.  I think that the main thing keeping him from getting more reps is his lack of blocking ability.  Before even thinking about cutting him altogether, I'd see how well he plays in joint practices and the 2 upcoming Pre-Season games.

• Like 1

The team has announced that they have signed running back Aaron Dykes.

Dykes played his college ball at the University of Richmond and put up 1,980 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns on 470 carries. He also added 77 catches for 750 yards and an additional eight touchdowns. He was also a prolific kick returner for the Spiders, including setting a school record with two kick returns for touchdowns in one game back in 2019.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/8/17/23836454/vikings-add-rb-aaron-dykes-waive-k-jack-podlesny

• 2 weeks later...

The Vikings decided to carry Kene Nwangwu on the initial 53-man roster before placing the third-year running back on Injured Reserve, meaning he'll miss at least the first four games of the season. O'Connell said Nwangwu is dealing with a lower back injury.

O'Connell: "This gives him the opportunity at some point to work through his injury and ultimately maybe return to help us at some point. I don't want to put a timeline on that. After having conversations with Kene, he's feeling better and better. And we'll continue to work through that and try to get him back with us at some point this year."

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-takeaways-o-connell-adofo-mensah-on-roster-decisions-injury-updates?fbclid=IwAR1iz-N-YTs9AiENBpVAV0zmgmSk9_mMGXvaxiIW2Pz0cuONeUOmoE-uWKU

In 2020, Myles Gaskin became the first Dolphins rookie running back to eclipse 100 scrimmage yards in three or more games since Dolphins legend Mercury Morris accomplished the same feat in 1969.

Gaskin showcased his pass-catching ability throughout his second season. He gained 50 or more receiving yards three times, including a career-high 82 yards against the Raiders. 

Over his four-year career, Gaskin has averaged 6.9 yards per reception. 

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-new-vikings-rb-myles-gaskin