Over 10,000 days since Dallas last won a Super Bowl... what went wrong?

y*so*blu

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

Football is number one in Texas. Forget about raw Nielson ratings or other “objective” metrics. Football transcends the culture in Texas and the deep south.

I live in Houston, so I understand. I'm asking specific to Dallas.

So yes, while you can make a case for Houston, Atlanta, TB, or whatever comparable city, Dallas is the number one football market when you factor in the respective franchises that play in those towns.

So really, your argument is "trust me, bro".

That's fine, but don't state it as fact. It's an opinion until you can provide tangible data stating otherwise.

Winning is EXTREMELY hard. The Raiders and the Dolphins also used to be crown jewels of success in the NFL. Neither has been consistently relevant since the early 00s. The Steelers are the only NFL franchise that has had consistent success across multiple regimes of players, coaches, front offices, and ownership. And even they haven't been to a Super Bowl since 2010 and last one won was in 2008!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

I live in Houston, so I understand. I'm asking specific to Dallas.

So really, your argument is "trust me, bro".

That's fine, but don't state it as fact. It's an opinion until you can provide tangible data stating otherwise.

Because you’ve had the Texans and Oilers anchoring that market… not exactly national bastions. It’s the same with Atlanta. Great college market but bad pro market (are the Falcons even ahead of the Braves? Are the Texans bigger than the Stros/Rockets?) Maybe only for the fact that it’s NFL teams versus MLB/NBA but then you can just normalize the numbers. Are the Texans relatively bigger than the Stros’ as a % of national viewers? Probably not. So while great high school and college markets, Houston and Atlanta are terrible NFL markets versus Dallas.

Because you’ve had the Texans and Oilers anchoring that market… not exactly national bastions.

And THERE is the key word. A NATIONAL base doesn’t give the DFW area anything (which was my original statement - Dallas as a city doesn’t get to call itself the number one football market, because it’s simply not true). The Cowboys as a franchise have a fanbase that covers all 50 states (and beyond) so the Dallas metro area doesn’t get credit via proxy of that. 

• Like 1