Over 10,000 days since Dallas last won a Super Bowl... what went wrong?

y*so*blu

On 6/19/2023 at 9:28 AM, ET80 said:

Sometimes it’s the most simple response that’s the correct response. By my count, there are at least 11 teams with much longer streaks than this 10,000 days (and that isn’t even including the Texans, who haven’t been around for 10,000 days).

Where’s the discussion for those teams? Why don’t we look at those owners the way we look at Jerruh - a guy who took $140mm and built up the most valuable franchise in sports at $6.5b?

Not trying to defend the Cowboys here, but some of you in your glass houses need to throw up some curtains before you comment.

It's probably because those other teams aren't jammed down our throats every year as "this is the year" and get 5 prime time games a year even though they don't do chit.. I could be wrong, but that probably has something to do with it.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

It's probably because those other teams aren't jammed down our throats every year as "this is the year" and get 5 prime time games a year even though they don't do chit.. I could be wrong, but that probably has something to do with it.. 

Eh… I mean, Jerruh knows how to market his team, and our continued collective hatred of the Cowboys will mean they’re always on national TV. They’re the heel of the NFL, in wrestling terms; You can only watch so much of the face before you crave to see the bad guy get his, y’know?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eh… I mean, Jerruh knows how to market his team, and our continued collective hatred of the Cowboys will mean they’re always on national TV. They’re the heel of the NFL, in wrestling terms; You can only watch so much of the face before you crave to see the bad guy get his, y’know?

I actually really like the wrestling comp for this. Marketability is key. For all the biggest names in wrestling there was always the ability to sell their bit, to cause a massive reactions from fans. Some like Austin, Michaels and the Rock were able to damn near cause riots one way or the other so heel or face they were huge sellers. Guys like Goldberg and Hogan were massive ticket drivers and they actually sucked at wrestling. But they could get a strong emotional response from the masses.

Jerry and his minions have been able to do a masterful job marketing their team. I feel like 90% of NFL fans either want to see them win or get curb stomped each week, and only a few are in-between.  lol

• Like 1

I don't know that Jerry is some marketing master.   He has a nice product to work with and promote.  He isn't PT Barnum.  

Dallas gathered a huge national following with success in 70s and then got another generation to like them with success in 90s. 

Jerry can certainly share in credit for success of 90s.  He was patient with JJ during first bad years as they were rebuilding.

They have a very good logo and color scheme which helps because people like to wear their colors.   This is brand recognition and advertising for them.

They also are very generous with letting little league teams around country use their logo and colors.  None of that started with Jerry.  It's more a matter of not screwing it up with being overly controversial or doing dumb things.   

He did build a nice stadium which makes attending games better.

His biggest mistake was his jealousy of Jimmy getting all credit for success.   Jimmy was a control freak though and didn't like Jerry interfering and didn't respect Jerry's football knowledge.  It was a marriage that was never going to last unless one or the other was willing to change.  

• Like 1

Dallas gets so much hate, because they get so much love.   They have a lot of loud mouth fans in every corner of country.

So there is a lot of interaction.  

I know many Dallas fans in Chicago burbs.  They fly the Dallas flag outside their house, yadda yadda.

No one is repping Baltimore or Bengals and talking smack to me in my area.   

Seems pretty simple to me, Jerry thinks he's a football genius, he got upstaged by Jimmy Johnson and Aikman the last time they won anything and he couldn't take it so he made sure to never have a superstar coach or QB again, or if they became stars it would be because he found them. Romo and Dak were both good enough but not any better, and his coaches have all been mediocre too.

• Like 1

I can't believe only one person has said the salary cap. The salary cap was created to prevent teams like the Cowboys from winning the Super Bowl.

In the salary cap era of the NFL you generally need great coaching and either elite QB play or a generational defense (with a couple of exceptions of course) to win a title. Dallas hasn't had the coaching, the QB, or the defense to get it done. The salary cap has prevented Jerry from doing what he does best, buy stuff. No more affording to pay the triplets, the offensive and defensive lines, while supplementing all that talent with all-world mercenaries like Deion and Charles Haley to build super teams to dominate.

• Like 1

Why aren’t the Patriots some beloved national franchise? It seems like 99% of people hate them… a given, given the QB and coach, but they have not built a national fanbase. Does it take half a century? Is Boston just too small a city? I’d wager the Eagles have a larger national following than the Pats.

It’s just not easy to build a brand. Jerruh has built a brand that is consistently anchored by star players. They haven’t been HoF players recently sans a handful of guys. I mean, what position in sports is more glamorous than QB for the Dallas Cowboys? Even a guy like Dak who is hardly a good looking guy has major sex appeal and marketability with a modicum of success at that position.

There are only a few franchises that move the needle in sports. Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys. I’m not even sure Real or ManU are still in that class, but you can clump them in. You can throw ND football in there from an American perspective. Winning in the here and now is not always a prerequisite. Yankees and Lakers are in relative slumps (despite the LeBrovid-19 Championship). 

Edited by WheatieMan

4 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Why aren’t the Patriots some beloved national franchise? It seems like 99% of people hate them… a given, given the QB and coach, but they have not built a national fanbase. Does it take half a century? Is Boston just too small a city? I’d wager the Eagles have a larger national following than the Pats.

It’s just not easy to build a brand. Jerruh has built a brand that is consistently anchored by star players. They haven’t been HoF players recently sans a handful of guys. I mean, what position in sports is more glamorous than QB for the Dallas Cowboys? Even a guy like Dak who is hardly a good looking guy has major sex appeal and marketability with a modicum of success at that position.

There are only a few franchises that move the needle in sports. Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys. I’m not even sure Real or ManU are still in that class, but you can clump them in. You can throw ND football in there from an American perspective. Winning in the here and now is not always a prerequisite. Yankees and Lakers are in relative slumps (despite the LeBrovid-19 Championship). 

It’s generational.  Pittsburgh, Raiders and Dallas built huge national followings many decades ago in early days of NFL/AFL and that has sustained father to son.   Raiders and Dallas also have popular logos and color schemes as well which helps young boys without affiliation to jump on back in day. 

Patriots did build some more fans in Brady era.  But that is just one generation and current generation would have to break away from dad’s team.  Back in day a lot of dads had no strong desire toward any team.  Baseball and boxing was more popular.  Before Parcels they also had bad logo and color scheme.  

On another note Cubs have national following due to WGN.  They were on free TVs across country for a long time. 

Raiders have squandered a lot of their fanbase in recent decades I would add.  

Al Davis weirdness, constant city moves and lack of success in recent decades has taken a toll on their early gains.

Vegas is a good place for them though if they can get their act together.  

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know that Jerry is some marketing master.   He has a nice product to work with and promote.  He isn't PT Barnum. 

Let’s take into consideration he’s got the most recognizable brand in sports - prior to him buying the Cowboys, the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Lakers held that title. Since he’s been in the picture, he’s overtaken both, despite having geographical disadvantages and performance issues.

New York and Los Angeles are two of the biggest and most notable cities in the world - their marketing builds itself based on that, their draw extends beyond the Yankees and Lakers and infiltrates their other teams (Giants, Knicks, Dodgers, Rams, Kings, etc). Those other teams in those markets have had windows of dominance in this 25 year space since the last Dallas SB (specifically the Lakers and Yankees, teams 2/3 on the list of most valuable brands in sports). Yet, it’s still Dallas that holds the top spot.

Lakers and Yankees have another geographical advantage - basketball and baseball both have a significant international appeal, and both teams had key players that fed into that appeal (Hidiki Matsui, Pau Gasou most notably come to mind - amongst others). Sure, it’s not Kobe or Jeter (two international stars in their own right, mich bigger than anyone who played for the Cowboys) but Spain was pro Lakers because of Pau, and Japan was pro Yankees because of Matsui (or - Japan was pro Seattle because of Ichiro and it showed financially for the Mariners, a traditionally underwhelming franchise in terms of performance).

Dallas? It’s not even the biggest city in Texas (that would be Houston) and even though the Dallas Mavericks have been more successful in this window (along with having a very well known owner in Mark Cuban) its marketing ability outside of Dallas is nowhere near where the Cowboys were. There is no Derek Jeter or Kobe Bryant the Cowboys can leverage, there is no international player the Cowboys can tout (maybe Dat Nguyen in the early 00s) but… other franchises in other sports have so much more appeal in just about every single aspect.

Yet - despite all of those disadvantages - Cowboys are the most valuable franchise in sports. Hate Jerruh all you want, getting to the top of the top isn’t something achieved by happenstance. You have to make that happen.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Dallas gathered a huge national following with success in 70s and then got another generation to like them with success in 90s. 

So - let's test this out real quick. Was there another sports team in the 90s with the same (or... more) success than the Cowboys of the 90s?

Yeah. There was.

giphy-6.gif?resize=400,300&ssl=1

Now... honest answers only: Are the current Chicago Bulls as marketable as the current Dallas Cowboys?

Spoiler

Answer: No. Not at all.

• Like 2