Who will win the AFC West in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

Who will win the AFC West in 2023?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the AFC West in 2023?

• Denver Broncos
    • Kansas City Chiefs
    • Las Vegas Raiders
    • Los Angeles Chargers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/2023 at 11:00 PM

I actually think the Chiefs are kinda starting to separate themselves from what was supposed to be a loaded division.

Russ looked washed last year, and an elite defense still couldn't keep the Broncos competitive.  I don't think Sean Payton is really that much of a fix.

Herbert hasn't won a playoff game, or a win and in game, and that's gonna haunt him if it doesn't turn around soon.

The Raiders are self explanatory.

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Russ looked washed last year, and an elite defense still couldn't keep the Broncos competitive.

Their record didn't reflect it, but the defense did keep them in a lot of games last year.

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't think Sean Payton is really that much of a fix.

Let's just say there's ample room for improvement after Hackett.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Their record didn't reflect it, but the defense did keep them in a lot of games last year.

Let's just say there's ample room for improvement after Hackett.

There may be.  But yeah, that defense is special.  If Payton got a good rushing offense going, it could turn them around.  But even then, I don't think they're close to ready to keep up with the Chiefs unless Russ looks like a whole different player.

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There may be.  But yeah, that defense is special.  If Payton got a good rushing offense going, it could turn them around.  But even then, I don't think they're close to ready to keep up with the Chiefs unless Russ looks like a whole different player.

Agreed. Payton aside, their success hinges on Russ somewhat returning to form. I don't ever recall seeing such a stark drop off in sports between Seahawks 2020 Russell Wilson (MVP Candidate), and whatever the hell version we saw in 2022 with the Broncos. I'd like to think he lands somewhere in between this year with Payton.

As long as Mahomes isn't in a Stryker frame Kansas City wins.

To me, the real question is whether or not the Chargers remain a favorite to win a wild card.  Given improvements in the AFC-North and AFC-East, I think the Bolts' chances have slipped below 50%.  They and, for that matter, the Chiefs have not distinguished themselves in the 2023 preseason.

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Don’t be surprised to see KC take a step back after winning the SB. The classic super bowl hangover 

I'd be very surprised given that the Chiefs have been to the AFC title game at worst for five years straight and the "Super Bowl hangover" didn't stop them from having an even better season after winning the SB in 2019.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is it possible that LaDanian Tomlinson gets injured?  That would upset the balance.

I think this is the second easiest division to pick the winner of.  However, what do the non-Chiefs teams need to do to win the division? 

Broncos and Chargers need otherworldly quarterback play and huge defensive performances - essentially maintaining their quality on that side of the ball in Denver's case and significantly stepping up in LA's case.

Raiders have no shot whatsoever that I can see. 

• Like 1