Who will win the AFC West in 2023?

notthatbluestuff

Who will win the AFC West in 2023?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the AFC West in 2023?

• Denver Broncos
    • Kansas City Chiefs
    • Las Vegas Raiders
    • Los Angeles Chargers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/2023 at 11:00 PM

36 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Super bowl LI was against the falcons

9 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I was talking about the Falcons game. BTW, consensus #2 QB ever Peyton Manning was a "choker" and "loser" in year 3 as well.

Regardless, it’s a strawman. You’re comparing him to multi-super bowl champions and a game where he played in a Super Bowl against an elite team compared to a pretty lousy Raiders squad in a regular season game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I was talking about the Falcons game. BTW, consensus #2 QB ever Peyton Manning was a "choker" and "loser" in year 3 as well.

For the record, I do agree that the choker moniker is overused, and I don't think Herbert has earned it yet.  But Herbert is starting to get that chatter, and so far, he's just proven to be a good regular season QB, and definitely has not shown an ability to be clutch when it counts.  I'm mostly just arguing to argue with the ridiculous takes of savage.

Chargers would be a logical choice to win the division, and I think they're really the only other team in the discussion.  They're gonna need to buck a trend they've started to develop, and I wouldn't bet on them, but it wouldn't shock me either.

18 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Regardless, it’s a strawman. You’re comparing him to multi-super bowl champions and a game where he played in a Super Bowl against an elite team compared to a pretty lousy Raiders squad in a regular season game.

Dude. It was his second season. All while being straddled with a defensive guru who gives up 30 points a game, the slowest WR corps in the league, and an OC who turned Calvin Johnson into Jericho Cotchery. 

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

For the record, I do agree that the choker moniker is overused, and I don't think Herbert has earned it yet.  But Herbert is starting to get that chatter, and so far, he's just proven to be a good regular season QB, and definitely has not shown an ability to be clutch when it counts.  I'm mostly just arguing to argue with the ridiculous takes of savage.

Chargers would be a logical choice to win the division, and I think they're really the only other team in the discussion.  They're gonna need to buck a trend they've started to develop, and I wouldn't bet on them, but it wouldn't shock me either.

Over half of his career wins came with a Game-Winning Drive. Over a third of his wins came with a 4th quarter comeback.

44 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Over half of his career wins came with a Game-Winning Drive. Over a third of his wins came with a 4th quarter comeback.

I have nothing against Herbert in this fight, but this is never the brag that people think it is. Half of having comebacks like that as a QB is scoring less than your opponent in the first place. Like, Kirk Cousins has as many in his career as Aaron Rodgers, and it's not from being a better or more clutch QB. Matt Stafford is 6th all-time, ahead of Marino, Elway, Montana, Unitas, etc. Derek Carr is 16th all-time in game winning drives. It's good to be able to come back, it's better to not have to in the first place. Brady averaged like 2 per year. Could pull one out when he needed to, but generally he just didn't get into those situations often in the first place.

And I don't think what he means by clutch when it counts, is being able to lead comebacks this year against....Cleveland, Denver, Atlanta, and Arizona. A close, down to the wire win against a playoff team or to lock up the division I think is more what they're arguing for. Not, oh crap, we only scored 14 points through 3 quarters against Atlanta, thank god we could knock a couple field goals through to ice things in the end.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Dude. It was his second season. All while being straddled with a defensive guru who gives up 30 points a game, the slowest WR corps in the league, and an OC who turned Calvin Johnson into Jericho Cotchery. 

Your name is literally HerbertGOAT 😂😂😂

Playoff wins by year 3:

Peyton Manning 0

Drew Brees 0

Terry Bradshaw 1

John Elway 0

Jim Kelly 1

Johnny Unitas 1

Dan Fouts 0

Herbert's scoring defenses: 23rd, 29th, 21st (in 2022, where they got to play a 4 game run of some of the worst QB performances in recent memory)

Worst ranked defense each of these QBs won a playoff game with, followed by the lowest ranked defense they made the playoffs with (if applicable):

Tom Brady: 17th

Peyton Manning: 23rd

Patrick Mahomes: 25th

Andrew Luck: 19th;21st

Joe Montana: 14th

John Elway: 15th

Joe Burrow: 17th

Jalen Hurts: 8th;18th

Josh Allen: 16th

Aaron Rodgers: 21st;24th

Brett Favre: 11th;23rd

Ben Roethlisberger: 10th;20th (this was in 2021, when Big Ben was completely washed and still put up 37 on the Chargers. Herbert threw a game-winning TD pass in the 4th.)

Terry Bradshaw: 8th;17th

Troy Aikman: 5th;17th

Roger Staubach: 9th;12th

Dan Marino: 12th;19th

Herbert being one game from the playoffs with the 29th ranked scoring defense is batsh*t insane and nobody cares about it. You can pick from the above list of guys and tell me who's not any good because they couldn't take the 29th ranked defense to the playoffs. You can also research for yourself how many of those guys had an OC who took a top 5 WR of all-time and turned them into Jericho Cotchery, but my guess is it would be none of them.

The cool thing about football is that there's 53 guys on a roster, plus an entire coaching staff, and ALL of them have something to do with how games turn out!

Edited by HerbertGOAT

On 6/27/2023 at 4:43 AM, Daniel said:

If by that you mean it’s technically possible, then sure.

I guess KC, the Chargers, and Denver could all have their teams suffer plane crashes in the same week, early in the season. That would open it up for LV.

Lol.  Terrible thing to say but still hilarious.  That's just how much it might take for us to win.  Sad (but I believe it).

On 6/27/2023 at 4:47 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

The Rams were always heading for a crash. They were mismanaging the cap, had pretty much no young talent, and rented their super bowl runs knowing full well they were gonna have to break up the band eventually.

The Bengals drafted Joe Burrow #1 overall & immediately changed their fortunes. He is that good. And he was that good as a prospect too.

The Jags played in a horrific division and had a generational prospect at QB. They weren’t a shocking ascending team.

KC is well managed, has just as much young talent as anyone, and isn’t horribly over the cap. Their window exists for a very long time. The only other team in that division that has a chance is LA because of Herbert. That said, they are SAWFT as can be on both sides of the ball & Herbert can’t outgun Mahomes anyways.

I get that it’s a parity league, but most times you can read the tea leaves to see the inevitable coming. This is not one of those times. This is KC’s division despite the fact that pretty much any non-Chiefs fan would love for it not to be.

If you’re predicting Mahomes to tear his ACL, sure. That’s about the only thing that will keep KC from winning the division. I honestly think it’s more likely they go undefeated than they lose the division. 

Thought SAWFT was an acronym until I kept reading.  Agree with your post.  Good.

On 6/27/2023 at 4:47 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

The Rams were always heading for a crash. They were mismanaging the cap, had pretty much no young talent, and rented their super bowl runs knowing full well they were gonna have to break up the band eventually.

The Bengals drafted Joe Burrow #1 overall & immediately changed their fortunes. He is that good. And he was that good as a prospect too.

The Jags played in a horrific division and had a generational prospect at QB. They weren’t a shocking ascending team.

KC is well managed, has just as much young talent as anyone, and isn’t horribly over the cap. Their window exists for a very long time. The only other team in that division that has a chance is LA because of Herbert. That said, they are SAWFT as can be on both sides of the ball & Herbert can’t outgun Mahomes anyways.

I get that it’s a parity league, but most times you can read the tea leaves to see the inevitable coming. This is not one of those times. This is KC’s division despite the fact that pretty much any non-Chiefs fan would love for it not to be.

If you’re predicting Mahomes to tear his ACL, sure. That’s about the only thing that will keep KC from winning the division. I honestly think it’s more likely they go undefeated than they lose the division. 

Guarantee if I would of added the Seahawks surprise turnaround  another reply would of said “ they got an all time compensation package and it was easy to see they’ll be in the playoffs hunt!!”

All Hindsight. Easy to rational knowing the results instead of predicting the future. Rams were believed to be an elite team. Burrow great prospect but the talk wasn’t even playoffs going into 2021 it was whether the bengals will get him destroyed. Jags going into last season had no optimism regarding Lawerence 

Edited by bucksavage1

Hate to say it but kc is the most complete team I think toney has a breakout year their defense is good enough and the offense is crazy

my raiders like adams said “I don’t agree with the direction we’re going” plus the Jacobs saga and jimmy too much drama

la too inconsistent I think that hc has to go for them to be real

den I think the hc only adds maybe 2-3 more wins but nothing crazy unless stiddy takes over

kc’s top dog

10 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’m not sure how KC is gonna roll out Donovan Smith at LT next season. He’s severely past his prime 

That's exactly how they will mitigate it.  Mahomes will roll out to his right before cutting back to buy more time.