Ravens sign RB Melvin Gordon (1 year, $3.1M)

RaidersAreOne

Yeah, that seems surprisingly high given the market we've seen for RBs this offseason. Feels like a handful of better backs got less than that. And also just....unnecessary? Would think Dobbins/Edwards would be the go to duo again, and both ended the year healthy as far as I remember.

18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm old enough to remember when JK Dobbins, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill all had season ending injuries in less than a week.

Gordon probably won't make 3M, but even if he will, I think it is fine to grab someone who can be a contingency starter.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm old enough to remember when JK Dobbins, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill all had season ending injuries in less than a week.

Gordon probably won't make 3M, but even if he will, I think it is fine to grab someone who can be a contingency starter.

Will they carry 4 RBs and a FB on roster to start the season though? That's the only thing that makes it questionable to me. Like, if all they had was Owen Wright behind Dobbins and Edwards, that would make sense to me. But Dobbins is presumably a roster lock. Cutting Edwards would cost money. So you're either cutting Hill or carrying 4 RBs entering the season, which as far as I know is pretty non-standard nowadays. It seems like a weird move to make now, given that none of them are injured yet  and the demand for a RB like Gordon is NOT high. Signing a #2 guy for injury insurance in July if you don't like your backup, I'd buy, but a #4?

• Like 1

This signing is just an insurance policy in case of injury. Dobbins, Edwards, and Justice Hill all suffered season-ending knee injuries last year and Edwards still isn't cleared yet.

Hill will primarily play ST's, and I doubt Gordon even makes the roster or is active on game days if all 3 are healthy unless he seriously impresses in camp.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This signing is just an insurance policy in case of injury. Dobbins, Edwards, and Justice Hill all suffered season-ending knee injuries last year and Edwards still isn't cleared yet.

Hill will primarily play ST's, and I doubt Gordon even makes the roster or is active on game days if all 3 are healthy unless he seriously impresses in camp.

I just have a hard time buying that's it when they gave a top 25 RB contract out in July. That just seems like a little bit much in case multiple guys get hurt again. And a lot of money to throwaway to just leave him inactive if everyone else is healthy.

37 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I just have a hard time buying that's it when they gave a top 25 RB contract out in July. That just seems like a little bit much in case multiple guys get hurt again. And a lot of money to throwaway to just leave him inactive if everyone else is healthy.

The past 2 seasons we've needed street RB's to be serious contributors. If they felt he was the best of the bunch that's available (idk if he is), and they think Dobbins is going to hold out while Edwards and Hill may not be fully ready, then this makes sense.

57 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Well since they just signed Melvin they'd be carrying 5.

No? I'm referring to Dobbins, Edwards, Hill, and then Gordon as the 4th. They also have I believe two UDFAs, but I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about when they cut down to 53. So 4 RBs and 1 FB.