Training Camp 2023

SemperFeist

The club has one final preseason game this Saturday to adjudicate players before the leaguewide ‘cut day.’

Here are the VikingsTerritory writers’ theories for surprise roster cuts — in the vein of Armon Watts and Ihmir Smith-Marsette last year.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/7-predictions

Most are not all that surprising, except for the first one...

• Like 1

I know some aren’t high on Wonnum, but cutting him makes no sense. Saving 2.7 mil to gut your pass rush depth is a terrible idea, and he started making meaningful plays beyond the box score last year when he finally got to play in a 3-4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I know some aren’t high on Wonnum, but cutting him makes no sense. Saving 2.7 mil to gut your pass rush depth is a terrible idea, and he started making meaningful plays beyond the box score last year when he finally got to play in a 3-4.

Have you heard his name once from training camp reports? I can’t say that I have. And I haven’t heard his name among the injured.  But I have heard Pat Jones’ and Luigi Vilain’s names frequently enough. 

In two preseason games, Wonnum hasn’t gotten a single snap. So, he’s either having an extremely good and under the radar camp, and he’s a lock to make to team. Or he’s found himself buried on the depth chart. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Have you heard his name once from training camp reports? I can’t say that I have. And I haven’t heard his name among the injured.  But I have heard Pat Jones’ and Luigi Vilain’s names frequently enough. 

In two preseason games, Wonnum hasn’t gotten a single snap. So, he’s either having an extremely good and under the radar camp, and he’s a lock to make to team. Or he’s found himself buried on the depth chart. 

Early in camp when Davenport and Hunter were not practicing Wonnum and PJ were playing with the 1s and getting praise, iirc. 

I go either way on Wonnum, which is why, prior to training camp, I had him as a possible surprising cut.  For me, his consistency...or lack of it, has generally been a concern of mine.  The times where he "flashes" are too few and far between, and with him being a free agent after the season and little to no chance of getting an extension, if there is someone else that could potentially be more critical to retain for development purposes, I'm fine with just moving on.  I view Patrick Jones as having far more upside at this point and would rather give him more reps than Wonnum.  But, I'm also fine with them retaining him for the season and moving on then, as he isn't going to be here in 2024 either way.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

I go either way on Wonnum, which is why, prior to training camp, I had him as a possible surprising cut.  For me, his consistency...or lack of it, has generally been a concern of mine.  The times where he "flashes" are too few and far between, and with him being a free agent after the season and little to no chance of getting an extension, if there is someone else that could potentially be more critical to retain for development purposes, I'm fine with just moving on.  I view Patrick Jones as having far more upside at this point and would rather give him more reps than Wonnum.  But, I'm also fine with them retaining him for the season and moving on then, as he isn't going to be here in 2024 either way.  

this

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve always looked at any player entering year 4 of their rookie deal without an established role is a potential cut. 

And one thing we all know to expect with Kwesi is a constant churning at the bottom of the roster. 

Wonnum is the most experienced and productive back up OLB on the roster. Pretty established role, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Wonnum is the most experienced and productive back up OLB on the roster. Pretty established role, imo.

Maybe. But that experience and productivity  are entirely based on a defense that they are no longer implementing. 

It’s just odd. If Wonnum was having a camp impressive enough to warrant not suiting up/playing during the preseason, then you’d think his name would be all over the reports from training camp. And on the flip side, typically when you don’t hear about players, and they don’t play during the preseason, it’s not a good sign or indication of their standing. 

My initial 53 man roster prediction. 

QB (2) - Kirk Cousins, Nick Mullens

RB (3) - Alexander Mattison, Ty Chandler, Kene Nwangwu

FB (1) - CJ Ham

WR (6) - Justin Jefferson, KJ Osborn, Jordan Addison, Brandon Powell, Jalen Nailor, Trishton Jackson

TE (3) - TJ Hockenson, Josh Oliver, Johnny Mundt

OL (9) - Christian Darrisaw, Brian O’Neill, Ezra Cleveland, Ed Ingram, Garrett Bradbury, Blake Brandel, Vederian Lowe, Austin Schlottmann, Oli Udoh

DL (6) - Harrison Phillips, Dean Lowry, Khyiris Tonga, Jonathan Bullard, Esezi Otomewo, Jaquelin Roy

ED (5) - Danielle Hunter, Marcus Davenport, Pat Jones, DJ Wonnum, Andre Carter II

LB (4) - Brian Asamoah, Ivan Pace, Jordan Hicks, Troy Dye

CB (6) - Byron Murphy, Akayleb Evans, Mekhi Blackmon, Andrew Booth, Joejuan Williams, NaJee Thompson

SF (5) - Harrison Smith, Cam Bynum, Lewis Cine, Josh Mattelus, Jay Ward 

ST (3) - Greg Joseph, Ryan Wright, Andrew DePaola

• Like 1

I can't argue with much of that, although I do have to think they'll try to find a way to keep Luiji Vilain on the 53-man roster, since he's been doing really well from what I hear...and I'm pretty sure they may not want to expose Theo Jackson to the waiver wire, otherwise he'll end up right back in Tennessee, because they didn't really want to lose him in the first place.  I don't know where you cut to make those things happen, but I don't get paid to figure that out either.  😂

• Like 1