Training Camp 2023

SemperFeist

12 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

This late in the offseason, his contract is gonna be closer to 5m than 10+m. There’s gotta be something physically wrong for him to be on the market this long.

Well, he is coming off an injury he suffered late in the season, which I believe was an elbow...he apparently has also had some shoulder and back issues...although he generally played through them. 

• Like 1

Cephus Johnson III didn’t look like he belongs in the NFL. Struggled in every phase, especially special teams.

Thayer Thomas runs a fantastic, clean route every time but he doesn’t have the juice to be an effective NFL player.

Ezra Cleveland pancaked Brian Asamoah II to the shadow realm during team drills. A really impressive rep.

Marcus Davenport and Danielle Hunter didn’t participate in team drills. Patrick Jones II and D.J. Wonnum got the majority of first-team edge reps in their place.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-practice-day-6/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2u5-lkKDma0FM58KmfwB1TFFmit30VzSwE2ZEyEaHMnfV3J_B9Hd_oV_k

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Risner would easily be $9 to $14 mil a year

There are 5 LG's with a cap number north of $9M in 2023 (Thuney, Bitonio, Whitehair, Nelson, and Tomlinson). As others have pointed out I'm sure his recovery is what has prevented him from signing and also likely driving his price down. 

Vikings were at ~$18M before the Hunter deal. I don't think money is an issue to bringing Risner in, hopefully they can make it happen.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/josh-oliver-minnesota-vikings-offense-nfl/

Justin Jefferson might be the most important non-quarterback on the offense, but Oliver might be the key to unlocking it. When Oliver was signed, Adofo-Mensah said, “Somebody like a Josh Oliver can actually make Justin Jefferson better.”

O’Connell agreed. “If we can run the football more efficiently and marry the run and the pass with play-pass keepers and screens and different variations of the pass game on our terms, I think that’s going to bode well [against] teams that want to feature so much coverage to Justin,” O’Connell said in Oliver’s introductory presser in March.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

There are 5 LG's with a cap number north of $9M in 2023 (Thuney, Bitonio, Whitehair, Nelson, and Tomlinson). As others have pointed out I'm sure his recovery is what has prevented him from signing and also likely driving his price down. 

Vikings were at ~$18M before the Hunter deal. I don't think money is an issue to bringing Risner in, hopefully they can make it happen.

Yeah Nate Davis gets $10 mil a year and Risner is better than him when healthy, and I would say he is better than Whitehair as well when healthy no question and I would say he is better than Ben Powers and that dude gets $12 mil a year.  

Your list is missing Chris Lindstrom $20 mil, Jenkins $17 mil but sometimes he plays tackle, Scherff $16 mil, then Teller $14 mil and Zach Martin $14 mil along with Shaq Mason $12 mil.  All of that is categorized under their average salary.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

Vikings are not cash rich or something, next year they have no contract for Kirk Cousins, Danielle Hunter, TJ Hockenson Marcus Davenport, DJ Wonnum, Ezra Cleveland etc and Justin Jefferson has no long term deal either so some major money is going to be needed and $18 mil is not going to cover that what so ever.  And that $18 mil is now around $10 mil after the Hunter deal.  Sure could be great for one year but who says Risner wants a one year deal, maybe for a prove it deal but at least they would be going big or going home potentially with the 2023 season.

Because 2024 the entire thing could be blown up outside of Justin Jefferson.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah Nate Davis gets $10 mil a year and Risner is better than him when healthy, and I would say he is better than Whitehair as well when healthy no question and I would say he is better than Ben Powers and that dude gets $12 mil a year.  

Your list is missing Chris Lindstrom $20 mil, Jenkins $17 mil but sometimes he plays tackle, Scherff $16 mil, then Teller $14 mil and Zach Martin $14 mil along with Shaq Mason $12 mil.  All of that is categorized under their average salary.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

Vikings are not cash rich or something, next year they have no contract for Kirk Cousins, Danielle Hunter, TJ Hockenson Marcus Davenport, DJ Wonnum, Ezra Cleveland etc and Justin Jefferson has no long term deal either so some major money is going to be needed and $18 mil is not going to cover that what so ever.  And that $18 mil is now around $10 mil after the Hunter deal.  Sure could be great for one year but who says Risner wants a one year deal, maybe for a prove it deal but at least they would be going big or going home potentially with the 2023 season.

Because 2024 the entire thing could be blown up outside of Justin Jefferson.  

This whole post is speculative and shows that you have don’t fully understand the Vikings salary cap position.

they can free up plenty of money in a hurry for this year, and have tons of space to work out a new base level for the roster after Cousins starting next year.

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

This whole post is speculative and shows that you have don’t fully understand the Vikings salary cap position.

they can free up plenty of money in a hurry for this year, and have tons of space to work out a new base level for the roster after Cousins starting next year.

Yeah I am not some expert in terms of the cap, but they have not signed Darrisaw long term either so that could be another very large contract.  And Justin Jefferson will obviously ask for well over $30 mil a year, sure they might lose Kirk Cousins standard $28-$33 mil a year contract and get a rookie QB to take his place but that will just basically all go to Justin Jefferson and does not address Hunter, Hockenson, Davenport or any of the other guys I mentioned.  

They have a little flexibility this year but not that much and with those short deals it is just like renting players for a year and not sure that is great for building a organization long term.  And that is not even addressing the situation of depth and is just focusing on the big name guys, where the depth is a pretty big issue until some guys really start to step up and improve.  

27 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I never knew Nate was a Calgary native.

Yep...his dad was a CFL player at the time.  🤣  He might have been the only one of the 4 boys that actually was born in Canada, because his brother Kevin (former Gopher basketball player), who was 2 yrs older, was born in Seattle...and his dad was playing for the Stampeders then as well. 

• Like 1