John Ross Retires

onejayhawk

11 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

He had a 17 TD season in college… yes obviously the combine vaulted him but it’s not like he didn’t have any production. 

Yep, I’m also pretty sure his breakout age was in the Pro Bowler category. Guy wasn’t just fast in college.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

How so? This isn’t a guy who accumulating DUIs or hitting his girlfriend. He just didn’t have it.

And Tyreek Hill did. 

It turned out that the Cheetah didn't hit his girlfriend either, but it took a while for that to come out. 

11 hours ago, Danger said:

I thought John Ross would be Tavon Austin, was better than him at least.

John Ross finished his NFL career with 957 receiving yards (998 yards from scrimmage) and 11 touchdowns. Tavon Austin had 2,239 receiving yards (3,600 yards from scrimmage) and 29 touchdowns. Both were busts, but John Ross certainly was a bigger bust than Austin was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

John Ross finished his NFL career with 957 receiving yards (998 yards from scrimmage) and 11 touchdowns. Tavon Austin had 2,239 receiving yards (3,600 yards from scrimmage) and 29 touchdowns. Both were busts, but John Ross certainly was a bigger bust than Austin was.

Yeah Austin was a legitimate weapon with the ball in his hands for 2 years at the end of the Fischer era. Just never a true WR. 

But yeah, as @SmittyBacall alluded to, Ross was considered a round 1 guy to most prior to the combine. Most had him as a round 1 guy. Was supposed to be a strong route runner with soft hands and the ability to threaten deep. I thought he'd run like a 4.45 and I had him round 1. When he ran the 4.22 I was like "no way" because I honestly thought he was good but not great speed. And even when he ran it, I thought it was a fluke.

But yeah, he showed a lot of ability to turn guys with his hips in college and apparent understanding of how to create separation and create RAC yards. But could NOT put it together in the NFL. Probably the most baffling WR bust I've seen recently. 

• Like 1