Preseason Game 1 - Green Bay @ Cincinnati

Leader

Just now, Zycho32 said:

There will probably be options after the Preseason cuts, though the quality can be disputed. I think right now the best available(or at least the most notable) is Carson Wentz and he's got some demons roaming around on his real estate rent-free.

Matt Ryan would be extremely valuable when it comes to giving knowledge to Jordan Love, but I don't think the guy can actually play any longer.  He and LaFleur have a really good history together. Always thought that there might be a spot for him in GB.  Maybe a consulting role or something if his playing days are done.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Matt Ryan would be extremely valuable when it comes to giving knowledge to Jordan Love, but I don't think the guy can actually play any longer.  He and LaFleur have a really good history together. Always thought that there might be a spot for him in GB.  Maybe a consulting role or something if his playing days are done.  

And he won't have to wait to get Crosby's number either.

26 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Didn't he sign on the networks to do games this year? 

26 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No. Ride out the rebuild. This year is Learning and progress. Stick with the rookie kicker too.  Two round 1 picks next year and we're hunting superb owl.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers should dump them backup QBs and add a veteran backup with actual NFL starting experience.  Not sure that guy is available yet.  Love needs a solid vet to bounce ideas off of during real game action.   Clifford isn't going to be of any help other than being a 3rd QB on the PS.  I can't imagine any team in the league would claim him if cut loose. McGoo is probably better than Clifford at this point in time, but he also doesn't have any real NFL experience, and is probably still scrambling to learn the offense.  

That is what Tom Clements is for, Love doesn't need some washed up has been telling him something different than what the coaching staff is telling him. Time for the coaching staff to take control of how the team is run instead of the BS that was going on the past several years. Trust Clements, trust the process. 

3 minutes ago, R T said:

That is what Tom Clements is for, Love doesn't need some washed up has been telling him something different than what the coaching staff is telling him. Time for the coaching staff to take control of how the team is run instead of the BS that was going on the past several years. Trust Clements, trust the process. 

I just started typing something up about Tom Clements having to be the knowledge bank for Love.  I still think when it's all said and done the Packers might choose to go the veteran route at backup QB.  We'll see. 

5 minutes ago, R T said:

I would think if nothing else Ryan's good for sage advice about the intangibles of the sport, especially of the sort that has to do with on-field quarterbacking. The kind of stuff you can't get in the Xs and Os.

Besides, you never had it to begin with if you're so easily disrupted and neutralized by a second voice in your ear as you seem to imply.

13 minutes ago, R T said:

what BS would that be?  Rodgers is the reason Clements is coaching Love

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers should dump them backup QBs and add a veteran backup with actual NFL starting experience.  Not sure that guy is available yet.  Love needs a solid vet to bounce ideas off of during real game action.   Clifford isn't going to be of any help other than being a 3rd QB on the PS.  I can't imagine any team in the league would claim him if cut loose. McGoo is probably better than Clifford at this point in time, but he also doesn't have any real NFL experience, and is probably still scrambling to learn the offense.  

The only guy I might have taken in that camp would have been Teddy Bridgewater as he would have come cheap and has had some history filling in or being an effective stopgap when needed.  But most just aren't worth the price whether they're old wash outs like Andy Dalton or younger h-bombs like Baker Mayfield.

We didn't need to sign a free agent backup for Rodgers and I don't think we need to now either.

35 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

No. Ride out the rebuild. This year is Learning and progress. Stick with the rookie kicker too.  Two round 1 picks next year and we're hunting superb owl.

Yup, and I had forgotten about Ryan and have nothing personal against him.  But he'd likely cost too much for a rent-a-QB type contract, and we just don't need to spend high money on a backup QB spot right now.

So yeah I agree.  Do what we did with Rodgers in 2008 and take a chance on our other two backups because I think at least one of them has quality backup material in them.

33 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I would think if nothing else Ryan's good for sage advice about the intangibles of the sport, especially of the sort that has to do with on-field quarterbacking. The kind of stuff you can't get in the Xs and Os.

Clements was a QB, 3-year starter at Notre Dame and lead them to a national championship in 1973. There is nothing that Ryan has that Clements doesn't already have a PhD in, including the intangibles of the game.