Preseason Game 1 - Green Bay @ Cincinnati

Leader

Tonight, as probably the entire preseason, I am looking at OL depth and if anyone can separate themselves at safety.  

I'll be surprised if any WR impresses me enough to make me want to keep more than 5 initially.  And I will be surprised if any RB surpasses Patrick Taylor in my eyes.  

Also interested in the SJC vs Valentine vs the field.  I really liked SJC entering the league, but it is time to **** or get off the pot.  Valentine has been getting praise, how does he hold up in live action? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Tonight, as probably the entire preseason, I am looking at OL depth and if anyone can separate themselves at safety.  

I'll be surprised if any WR impresses me enough to make me want to keep more than 5 initially.  And I will be surprised if any RB surpasses Patrick Taylor in my eyes.  

Also interested in the SJC vs Valentine vs the field.  I really liked SJC entering the league, but it is time to **** or get off the pot.  Valentine has been getting praise, how does he hold up in live action? 

I get this feeling both Wicks and Heath might surprise a bit tonight.  At least if you're Toure ... you might want to look over your shoulder just a little.

Also ... While a little less of a headline, I do wonder if we get a surprise battle in the backup QB spot.  I mean, I think Clifford will win QB2, but I remember 2008 the front office seemed so sure Brian Brohm would too and Matt Flynn came out of nowhere stealing it from him.  I don't think McGough has Flynn's skills or luck, but you play and grade the guys for a reason.

35 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I get this feeling both Wicks and Heath might surprise a bit tonight.  At least if you're Toure ... you might want to look over your shoulder just a little.

Also ... While a little less of a headline, I do wonder if we get a surprise battle in the backup QB spot.  I mean, I think Clifford will win QB2, but I remember 2008 the front office seemed so sure Brian Brohm would too and Matt Flynn came out of nowhere stealing it from him.  I don't think McGough has Flynn's skills or luck, but you play and grade the guys for a reason.

I think the Packers should dump them backup QBs and add a veteran backup with actual NFL starting experience.  Not sure that guy is available yet.  Love needs a solid vet to bounce ideas off of during real game action.   Clifford isn't going to be of any help other than being a 3rd QB on the PS.  I can't imagine any team in the league would claim him if cut loose. McGoo is probably better than Clifford at this point in time, but he also doesn't have any real NFL experience, and is probably still scrambling to learn the offense.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers should dump them backup QBs and add a veteran backup with actual NFL starting experience.  Not sure that guy is available yet.  Love needs a solid vet to bounce ideas off of during real game action.   Clifford isn't going to be of any help other than being a 3rd QB on the PS.  I can't imagine any team in the league would claim him if cut loose. McGoo is probably better than Clifford at this point in time, but he also doesn't have any real NFL experience, and is probably still scrambling to learn the offense.  

There will probably be options after the Preseason cuts, though the quality can be disputed. I think right now the best available(or at least the most notable) is Carson Wentz and he's got some demons roaming around on his real estate rent-free.

Offense:

Love expected to play a couple series. My guess is Bakhtiari doesn't play which would mean Yosh at LT and Tom at RT. Might also see Tom get some snaps at C. I'll be looking to see if Rhyan can continue strong camp when he replaces Jenkins at LG. Tyler Goodson expected to get long look at RB. Guys like Toure and Kraft should get a lot of playing time.

Defense:

Hope to see the young DL continue to show something. Jonathan Ford needs a strong showing if he wants to force Packers to keep 6. Luke Ness Monster and Enagbare should see a lot of playing time with Gary out and Preston probably not playing much. Starting Safety positions are up for grabs, so that will be worth watching. A lot of people were excited about Anthony Johnson, but he's had a quiet camp so far. This will be Tariq Carpenter's first game since being converted from S to LB. Jaire probably won't play, so Carrington Valentine should get a long look.

Special Teams:

Carlson has been up and down at K. In practice, he's been having trouble with first kick, often pushing it right. Whelan has been booming punts in practice.