What are you expecting from 2023 Aaron Rodgers in NY?

notthatbluestuff

What are you expecting from 2023 Aaron Rodgers in NY?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What are you expecting from 2023 Aaron Rodgers in NY?

• Back to bonafide elite-QB form; MVP candidate
    • Good numbers, top-10 or top-12 QB.
    • Mediocre; continues the decline suggested last season
    • Total train wreck; Rodgers is done

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/2023 at 11:00 PM

On 8/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, The BILLievers said:

The Bills went into the playoffs last year with their star QB having a UCL injury and Von Miller and Micah Hyde (their two best defenders) out. There wasn't a window to win the super bowl last season looking back on it. 

Hard to see a window closing when the roster is better to start 2023 than the regular season roster in 2022. 

It absolutely was part of Buffalo's Super Bowl window. Literally every team has key injuries entering January. It's not an excuse and it doesn't provide an extension to the window. Injuries didn't stop the Bengals from beating you with an OL comprised of back ups, and it didn't stop a one-legged Mahomes from winning the Super Bowl.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It absolutely was part of Buffalo's Super Bowl window. Literally every team has key injuries entering January. It's not an excuse and it doesn't provide an extension to the window. Injuries didn't stop the Bengals from beating you with an OL comprised of back ups, and it didn't stop a one-legged Mahomes from winning the Super Bowl.

I mean yeah technically there's a window but if you watched the Bills at the end of last season, you could see that window closed for the 2022 season. Would've gotten spanked by you guys in week 16 if the Hamlin injury didn't happen, barely beat the Pats in week 17 and only did because of two ST's TDs, barely beat the Skylar Thompson led Dolphins in round 1, then got spanked vs the Bengals in round 2. 

My point being to the original poster, how can that window be closed when the health & roster of 2023 is superior to that of 2022? 

Also, a UCL injury on your throwing arm >>>>> sprained ankle. Thankfully the season starts in 2 weeks and we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

My point being to the original poster, how can that window be closed when the health & roster of 2023 is superior to that of 2022? 

In all fairness, most contending teams look better in the upcoming year than they do in the previous season. The general exceptions are the teams like the 2012 Ravens where you could see the roster was filled with older vets, with a lot of upcoming FAs. 

Regression from one season to another usually has a lot more to do with player regression, age, and injuries, than it does actual roster talent. Most teams look more talented before Week 1. 

Edited by Soko
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I mean yeah technically there's a window but if you watched the Bills at the end of last season, you could see that window closed for the 2022 season. Would've gotten spanked by you guys in week 16 if the Hamlin injury didn't happen, barely beat the Pats in week 17 and only did because of two ST's TDs, barely beat the Skylar Thompson led Dolphins in round 1, then got spanked vs the Bengals in round 2. 

Also, a UCL injury on your throwing arm >>>>> sprained ankle. Thankfully the season starts in 2 weeks and we'll see. 

Almost everyone thinks their roster has improved from the previous year.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, StatKing said:

They're adding Leonard Floyd, Von Miller, Micah Hyde, Dalton Kincaid and some OL to the roster and only losing Tremaine Edmunds but I do get your point. Once again I'm only saying this because people said the window is closed and I'm only saying the roster for 2023 looks like it has more potential based on the players. 

Edited by The BILLievers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

49 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

They're adding Leonard Floyd, Von Miller, Micah Hyde, Dalton Kincaid and some OL to the roster and only losing Tremaine Edmunds but I do get your point. Once again I'm only saying this because people said the window is closed and I'm only saying the roster for 2023 looks like it has more potential based on the players. 

Pretty much all of those guys you listed are on the wrong side of 30. I'm not saying it's going to definitively be this year, but in my experience, windows are generally 3-5 years long. We had two of them during Aaron Rodgers career in GB. The first was from 2010-2014 and the second was 2019-2021. Now we made the playoffs a bunch of other years he was at the helm but in hindsight we never had a real chance at making the Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

Rodgers is the type of vet who will play well, with a little more of a chip on his shoulder, after changing teams.

The question becomes whether or not he will physically hold up.  He's already been dinged in camp.  That isn't going to get better given that offensive line.

Also...there are going to be growing pains for that WR corp.  Not Lazard or Cobb, but Wilson.  He's gotta do what Rodgers expects.  And I think he will, but it will take a little time to get that chemistry down.

Finally...he's going to be a top 7-10 QB.  He will be efficient.  That defense will win games, Rodgers won't lose them.  But that o-line needs some serious work to keep him off of the injured list.

On 8/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, vegas492 said:

Rodgers is the type of vet who will play well, with a little more of a chip on his shoulder, after changing teams.

The question becomes whether or not he will physically hold up.  He's already been dinged in camp.  That isn't going to get better given that offensive line.

Also...there are going to be growing pains for that WR corp.  Not Lazard or Cobb, but Wilson.  He's gotta do what Rodgers expects.  And I think he will, but it will take a little time to get that chemistry down.

Finally...he's going to be a top 7-10 QB.  He will be efficient.  That defense will win games, Rodgers won't lose them.  But that o-line needs some serious work to keep him off of the injured list.

Everyone keeps talking about the OL. But the OL that was "struggling", wasn't their starting OL. The actual starting OL has the potential to be pretty good if they stay healthy, which is always the concern in football.

LT-Brown LG-Tomlinson C-McGovern RG-AVT RT-Becton is the week 1 starting OL, that isn't the OL you have seen on hard knocks. You saw the backups getting beat.  I am excited for Becton right now, he has looked great this summer. Best shape he has been in with the Jets, lost a bunch of weight. His knee finally seems healthy and strong. His mindset seems better as well, he is playing for his career this season. He is the x factor, if he stays healthy that right side of the OL will be pretty nasty in the run game. 

Could see it going either way

Case for Jets being good:

1. Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder is one of the best players ever.

2. Jets should have a top defense

3. A lot of weapons on offense. I believe Garrett Wilson will be considered a top 5 WR after this year

Case for Jets being bad:

1. They have an absolutely brutal schedule

Play 8 near lock play off teams:

-Bills 2x, Dolphins 2x, Cowboys, Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers 

Play 6 fringe play-off teams

-NE 2x, NYG, Denver, Browns, Raiders 

Potentially 14 out of the 17 games will be difficult 

2. Aaron Rodgers turns 40 in December. Father Time is undefeated and part of what made Rodgers great is his mobility. He looked like age was catching up to him last year, will he exponentially get worse this year? 

3. OL concerns. Rodgers doesn’t do well with pressure in his face and he will get frustrated if the internal clock in his head speeds up

4. Injuries. Breece Hall was dynamic last year before his knee injury. Does he come back looking the same? The OL looks riddled with injuries. Becton is still a question mark. Duane Brown hasn’t practiced all TC. I believe both their OGs have been injured also 

5. Hackett: I don’t trust his play calling as an OC. He’s never had success with it and when he was in GB, it was Lafleur who was calling the plays 

I could see Jets finishing anywhere from 6-11 to best team in the league. Just need Rodgers to play 65% of snaps 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

On 8/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, StatKing said:

4000+ yards, 35 TDs and 7 picks with 11-12 wins. I don't know why everyone thinks the Bills are a lock to be a great team when they haven't done anything but win a weak division the last 3 years. Their window isn't going to be open forever.

Because they've racked up the second most wins per season behind only the Chiefs over the past 3-4 seasons. Also, their window doesn't officially close until Allen is done. They'll go through ups and downs, but they'll range from an incredibly competitive team to a top tier contender throughout Allen's tenure. 

The Jets could absolutely win the division, though. Stingy defense, should have a great running game once Hall is back to 100%, and Rodgers should be at least borderline top-10. That, plus that Jets always give the Bills fits. It should be an interesting division!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 4:58 AM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Could see it going either way

Case for Jets being good:

1. Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder is one of the best players ever.

2. Jets should have a top defense

3. A lot of weapons on offense. I believe Garrett Wilson will be considered a top 5 WR after this year

Case for Jets being bad:

1. They have an absolutely brutal schedule

Play 8 near lock play off teams:

-Bills 2x, Dolphins 2x, Cowboys, Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers 

Play 6 fringe play-off teams

-NE 2x, NYG, Denver, Browns, Raiders 

Potentially 14 out of the 17 games will be difficult 

2. Aaron Rodgers turns 40 in December. Father Time is undefeated and part of what made Rodgers great is his mobility. He looked like age was catching up to him last year, will he exponentially get worse this year? 

3. OL concerns. Rodgers doesn’t do well with pressure in his face and he will get frustrated if the internal clock in his head speeds up

4. Injuries. Breece Hall was dynamic last year before his knee injury. Does he come back looking the same? The OL looks riddled with injuries. Becton is still a question mark. Duane Brown hasn’t practiced all TC. I believe both their OGs have been injured also 

5. Hackett: I don’t trust his play calling as an OC. He’s never had success with it and when he was in GB, it was Lafleur who was calling the plays 

I could see Jets finishing anywhere from 6-11 to best team in the league. Just need Rodgers to play 65% of snaps 

No they aren't. They are healthy right now. Duane Brown doesn't like doing training camp, I am pretty sure he held up to avoid camp. He played with a torn rotator cuff last season, so basically he started on the PUP list for rehabbing that shoulder.  Becton is the healthiest and best shape he has been with the Jets. Both OGs are healthy, the Jets have invested a lot into sports medicine and Saleh is very cautious on overworking guys, so he believes in resting up the small things in camp to avoid bigger injuries. AVT and Tomlinson had little minor things.  

As long as they are healthy the OL can be pretty good, which is always the case with teams.