How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Daron Bland’s got no chance of winning that award, zero chance whatsoever. Won’t get a single vote.

You mean because he's not a rookie or because his play hasn't warranted it ?
I think both would be valid reasons
(but taking nothing away from his 6 pick sixes, that's a career worth in one season right there)

4 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

You mean because he's not a rookie or because his play hasn't warranted it ?
I think both would be valid reasons
(but taking nothing away from his 6 pick sixes, that's a career worth in one season right there)

Don’t ruin my fun

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, this, seems accurate looking at the odds:

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/defensive-rookie-year-odds/

Whether it's due to the team record or the the narrative, Jalen Carter seems to be the heavy favorite. 

Pretty absurd that Jalen Carter would get it over a guy who is outproducing him by just about every measure. According to Pro Football Reference:

Kobie Turner

57 tackles

9 sacks

8 TFLs

15 QB Hits

0 FFs

Jalen Carter

30 tackles

6 sacks

8 TFLs

9 QB Hits

2 FFs

Might it happen? Sure. But it would be robbery.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Pretty absurd that Jalen Carter would get it over a guy who is outproducing him by just about every measure. According to Pro Football Reference:

Kobie Turner

57 tackles

9 sacks

8 TFLs

15 QB Hits

0 FFs

Jalen Carter

30 tackles

6 sacks

8 TFLs

9 QB Hits

2 FFs

Might it happen? Sure. But it would be robbery.

I don't disagree statistically speaking. I was more so just saying the betting odds don't even have Turner in consideration for the award, for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I don't disagree statistically speaking. I was more so just saying the betting odds don't even have Turner in consideration for the award, for whatever reason. 

Cause these awards are all narrative driven sadly. Wish it was only about performance, but a nobody from Purdue isn't going to move the needle like Carter does media wise. Sad, but we're seeing it play out infront of our eyes. 

• Like 2

Packers went from having a no-name, no production WR room, to now having a room that is just loaded with talent.

Jayden Reed (2nd round) set the franchise record for receptions, beating out the one and only Sterling Sharpe.  Reed has been very consistent as a rookie and shows potential to be a game changing WR.

I'm not saying he's the athlete that Tyreek Hill is, because I feel like Hill is in a class of his own, but if you look at Hill's rookie highlights, then look at Jayden Reed highlights, they are used very similarly, except for returns.  

60 for 681, 8 TD's (receiving).  11 for 119 and 2 TD's (rushing).

Dontayvion Wicks (5th round) has been a revelation.  Quick and sudden, very competitive.  WR. 

33 for 520 and 2 TD's.

Malik Heath (UDFA) has been a great end of the roster WR with a lot of toughness.  12 for 116, 1 TD.

Luke Musgrave (2nd round) looked like an elite receiving TE.  Injured, though.

Tucker Kraft (3rd round) has been very good as a TE, too.  In-line blocker and receiver.

Our first round pick was Van Ness and we've not given him a lot of snaps, but he has exceeded Rashan Gary's rookie production and looks like a nice power end moving forward.

Then in the 6th round we got Karl Brooks on the DL and he has had a very nice rookie season.  Couple of sacks and enough pressure.

It was a nice draft for GB.  WR was a weak spot on the roster and now it looks like a strength.   

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

While I quoted you, I wasn't really directing the comment at you. More just making a general point about how silly it would be to give Carter the award. But I'm not disputing that it's very possible it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Packers went from having a no-name, no production WR room, to now having a room that is just loaded with talent.

Jayden Reed (2nd round) set the franchise record for receptions, beating out the one and only Sterling Sharpe.  Reed has been very consistent as a rookie and shows potential to be a game changing WR.

I'm not saying he's the athlete that Tyreek Hill is, because I feel like Hill is in a class of his own, but if you look at Hill's rookie highlights, then look at Jayden Reed highlights, they are used very similarly, except for returns.  

60 for 681, 8 TD's (receiving).  11 for 119 and 2 TD's (rushing).

Dontayvion Wicks (5th round) has been a revelation.  Quick and sudden, very competitive.  WR. 

33 for 520 and 2 TD's.

Malik Heath (UDFA) has been a great end of the roster WR with a lot of toughness.  12 for 116, 1 TD.

Luke Musgrave (2nd round) looked like an elite receiving TE.  Injured, though.

Tucker Kraft (3rd round) has been very good as a TE, too.  In-line blocker and receiver.

Our first round pick was Van Ness and we've not given him a lot of snaps, but he has exceeded Rashan Gary's rookie production and looks like a nice power end moving forward.

Then in the 6th round we got Karl Brooks on the DL and he has had a very nice rookie season.  Couple of sacks and enough pressure.

It was a nice draft for GB.  WR was a weak spot on the roster and now it looks like a strength.   

Damm low key those rookie numbers are pretty low. It’s pretty wild to me how other teams rookie records are.. specially since they haven’t been broken since Sterling. And the packers have had some monster WRs the last 15 years. 
Greg Jennings, Cobb, Devante and Jordy.. 

Edited by El Ramster

3 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Damm low key those rookie numbers are pretty low. It’s pretty wild to me how other teams rookie records are.. specially since they haven’t been broken since Sterling. And the packers have had some monster WRs the last 15 years. 
Greg Jennings, Cobb, Devante and Jordy.. 

It has been a running "theme" in GB.  Typically it takes rookie WR's about 3 years to "get it" and really start to produce.

I thought Jennings had a great rookie season.  But when you look at it, he was WR2 right away.  104 targets.  45 receptions, 632 yards.  3 TD's.

Vante really struggled as a rookie who was WR3.  66 targets, 38 receptions.  446 yards.  3 TD's.

Jordy didn't crack 400 yards until year 3.  His breakout was year 4.

For GB to get this kind of production from a rookie WR class is pretty amazing.

And we are just stoked about the potential of that room right now.

For the Raiders:

1. Tyree Wilson EDGE: his play has started to pick up in recent weeks after having him move inside to rush. He has outstanding strength in his bull rushes but dude just does not have much else in terms of moves. He’s coming off a serious foot injury so he’s slowly rounding into shape. Next year will be big for him.

2. Michael Mayer TE: after a rough start, he’s shown that he’s going to be a baller. Doesn’t have the gaudy stats, thanks to abysmal QB play, but he makes plays when given the opportunity. He’s also already one hell of a run blocker. He’s going to be a good one.

3a. Byron Young DT: oof. Essentially a redshirt year. Very concerning since the DT room isn’t exactly stacked. Probably going to have to fight for his job next training camp. Not a good start to his career as he’s been a healthy scratch mostly.

3b. Tre Tucker WR: SPEED. That’s what stands out when on the field. He’s made some big plays for us, but there’s definitely room for growth if he can improve his route running. Raider nation would love to see him be featured because he’s dangerous.

4a. Jakorian Bennett CB: He flashed in camp and started the season opener, but he’s been a hot mess. Still has potential, but needs some more development before taking on a significant role.

4.b Aidan O’Connell QB: He wowed everyone in preseason but the regular season is just a different beast. He has filled in admirably for a rookie, but he is severely limited with his mobility. He is the definition of a statue. Many think he will be a solid back up QB for years to come.

5. Chris Smith S: He’s been primarily a special teamer or inactive. Not much to say here.

6. Amari Burney LB: same as above. Special teams or inactive. He’s a speedy LB who has shown some improvement shedding blocks. This offseason will be huge for him.

7. Nesta Jade Silvera DT: a fan favorite from the preseason, he has not gotten much run. There’s suspicion there are behavioral concerns given that he’s been in the dog house under both JMD and AP. He played a decent amount of snaps vs the Giants (APs first game as coach) and then he made some interesting comments about the previous staff in one of the videos that surfaced from the locker room. He hasn’t seen the field since and was actually waived and brought back to the practice squad recently.

Edited by Justwinning

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Cause these awards are all narrative driven sadly. Wish it was only about performance, but a nobody from Purdue isn't going to move the needle like Carter does media wise. Sad, but we're seeing it play out infront of our eyes. 

a nobody from Wake Forest **

Only know that cause I had him in 90% of my mock drafts last year lol. 😄

• Like 1

Suppose I’ll update the NE class for anyone curious:

1.17 Christian Gonzalez CB - Was having a stellar start to the season before suffering from a torn labrum and diclocated shoulder. Brought athleticism and size to the CB room, which the team definitely lacked. Everything about him being a “quiet assassin” appeared true, and he was a big part of holding down some pretty formidable passing attacks in the 4 games he participated in. 

2.46 Keion White DE - Came along slowly. Dude was a raw product with great athleticism, and despite a strong performance in a small sample size in the opener vs Philly, his snaps went down early on in the season. With injuries to Matt Judon and Josh Uche’s regression, White’s been seeing more snaps as of late. NE typically does a slow-grow when it comes to front seven players, but the teams and fans are excited for him. The ability is there, it’s just having his brain catch up.

3.76 Marte Mapu LB/S - Much to my chagrin, the team’s more set on having Mapu play as a safety than as a LBer. At least so far. That means less playing time, playing behind breakout star Jabrill Peppers and Kyle Dugger, but also underutilizing Mapu’s skill set IMO. Still, it’s hard for him to get on the field overall with some very solid LBer and safety play in NE. The limited action he has seen, mostly as a safety early on in the season, very much looked like what one would expect out of a more natural LBer. He’s been pretty good on special teams, however. After recovering from a shoulder injury for most of camp, NE fans are hoping he gets a new, more defined role next year. 

4.107 Jake Andrews C - Has hardly played, just got his first snaps this past week, I believe. 8 snaps, 0 pressures…definitely not much to be seen here as of right now. Starter David Andrews (no relation) has been healthy and spectacular this season. 

4.112 Chad Ryland K - Horrendous. That is all.

4.117 - Sidy Sow OL - A learning season for the young (but old for a rookie) linemen. After getting tried out at tackle for most of the preseason and camp, he’s settled in at guard with the musical chairs of OL, taking Michael Onwenu’s spot (whose moved to RT and played well). He hasn’t been great, but he’s been a fixture at RG since he’s been there, and hasn’t been killing the team. 

5.144 Atonio Mafi G - This guy…he’s been killing the team. Every time he’s in for an oft-injured Cole Strange, bad things seem to happen. Penalties, sacks, pressures. Kid’s a Day 3 rookie, so not ready to say he’s done in the league, but his rookie season has not gone well at all.

6.187 Kayshon Boutte WR - Receiving a little bit of hype from his 2021 collegiate season and a big play vs the Packers in the preseason, Boutte’s had a hard time getting on the field in the regular season, even with tons of injuries at WR. And when he has, he doesn’t find himself getting many targets. Not sure if it’s the mentals with Boutte, but it hasn’t been promising for him in his rookie year.

6.192 Bryce Baringer P - Played pretty well, can’t complain. About what you’d want out of a punter, without blowing the doors completely off like the really, really good guys.

6.210 DeMario Douglas WR - Fan favorite, and set to be the most productive Belichick rookie WR ever (not saying much, I know). Kid’s come along, and is the most electric receiver on the offense (again, not saying much…). When everyone’s healthy, he’s the team’s best slot receiver and is probably the only receiver on the team who has a safe spot going forward. Fans are super happy with him as a Day 3 guy, and hope he’s the next “late/undrafted slot WR out of NE”. 

6.214 Ameer Speed CB - Got waiver in October, likely to the PS, and got picked up by Indy. 

7.245 - Isaiah Bolden CB - Suffered a really bad head injury in the preseason vs the Packers. Game got called after that. He got released from the hospital in the following days, but was placed on IR and hasn’t been heard of since. 

Overall, I think the team/fans believe that Douglas, Gonzalez, and White might be real contributors going forward. The hope is that Mapu can too, but that’s a mystery. If Sow can just be an okay spot starter, as he has been, that’ll be solid there. Baringer’s been pretty good, but Ryland, Mafi, Boutte, and Bolden may not be on the roster next year.