How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

Raiders:

1. 7th round DT Nesta Jade Silvera has been an absolute beast. Just man handling everyone he faces. Raiders, 49ers and now Rams in practice.
  2. 4th round QB Aidan O'Connell had an awesome debut vs. the Rams:  

With Jimmy's injury woes, a potentially promising rookie behind him is great news.

BENGALS

Myles Murphy - Has looked like much of what we saw at Clemson, athletic, wiry, and incomplete as a pass rusher. Played a good amount of snaps W1 and didn't flash much. Will still likely work his was into early down work to spell Hendrickson, while rushing from DT in obvious passing situations. Work in progress.

DJ Turner - Rookie-MVP so far. Has looked the part of an NFL starting corner. Fast, great ball skills, and going toe to toe with Chase/Higgins. Bright future, could/can contribute right away.

Jordan Battle - Still the 3rd safety behind Nick Scott, but will work onto the field in 3-safety looks (which we may frequent more often this season). Made all the plays he should have W1, including a really nice pass break up. Looking like a future starter.

Charlie Jones - Looked as advertised early, then got dinged up before W1, and didn't look good during the game. Should contribute on returns as a rookie.

Chase Brown - Very fast, very quick - something we've lacked at RB on this team for decades. Pass protection is still the question. Fighting for a relief role right now.

Andrei Iosivas - Probably the runner up rookie-MVP. Consistently makes plays in practice, earns a ton of praise, and played awesome in the first preseason game. Early, but potentially another starter in the making. 

Brad Robbins - Clear upgrade on Kevin Huber. Hit some really nice punts in the opener. Our starter going into the year.

DJ Ivey - Fighting to make the team as 6th corner over Sidney Jones and Allan George. He has a shot.

OVERALL: It's so early to pass judgement, but it's looking like a really solid class. Iosivas looks like a steal, and we're seeing the beginnings of future starters at a few spots. Murphy is the biggest concern at the moment. We'll see how he develops...

• Like 3

49ers: 

1) Ji'Ayir Brown, S -

He had a nice mini camp, quiet training camp. He won't start without injury, though he may get some looks in three safety looks. Made a nice tackle at the goal line against the Raiders, though they later scored anyway. He's a developmental safety. Gipson is the starter coming off a solid year and has had an excellent camp. I expect Brown to make his presence felt next year. 

2) Jake Moody, K.

A (rightfully) maligned pick. Don't take kickers this early. It's dumb. That said, ultimately iif he's an excellent kicker, nobody is going to care that he was drafted at the end of round 3. He has been supposedly awesome in camp, but then nearly missed his XP against the Raiders and went 0-2 on field goals (one was 58 yards, so whatever). I don't like that he pulled the first and then waaaaaaaaaaaaaay pushed the second though. Hard to say what will happen with Moody. They have to play him, so he has to get his crap together quickly. 

Don't draft kickers on day 2. It's stupid. 

3) Cameron Latu, TE. 

Believe it or not, this pick may have been more hated than the moody pick lol. That's not a joke. And surprise, surprise, he's been awful. He's only making the roster because he's a third round pick. They may have to carry 4 tight ends now just to do it. He probably hasn't been one of the 4 best tight ends in camp too. He's had substantial drop issues during camp then in the first preseason game was involved in two penalties and fumbled his only catch. If he gets nicked up even a little bit during the preseason, wouldn't be surprised if they just IR him and shelve his season. 

4) Darrell Luter, CB

I really liked this pick, but he's basically been on PUP the entire off season. Nothing to report. 

5) Robert Beal, Edge

He's missed some chunks of camp. Haven't heard much of anything from him. Given how much I've heard of other d-linemen, I'd assume that Beal is ticketed to IR or PS

6) Dee Winters, LB

He's flashed some here and there. I expect the niners to keep 6 linebackers and I think he'll be one of them. He's got some juice to go and get it. He won't do much besides special teams this year, but don't be surprised if Winters and Graham follow the Greenlaw & Al Shaair path and become known in 2025. 

7) Brayden Willis, TE

Looks much better  than Latu, which isn't that big of a surprise. A lot of people on the niner board actually liked him more than latu leading into the draft. He's strictly a move TE, so his role is limited. I suspect he'll make the roster this year as one of the 4 tight ends. 

8 Ronnie Bell, WR

With Ray Ray's injury, I think that there is a decent shot he makes the team as a 6th receiver. I don't particularly care for what I saw of him as a returner, but he does have that ability which gives him some flexibility. He had an up and down camp and then was more of the same in the first preseason game. Had a couple of nice plays but also let a pass go right through his hands that resulted in an INT for Brandon Allen. I'd wager that he's maybe the replacement for Jennings next year or in 2025. 

9) Jalen Graham, LB

Had a really nice game against the Raiders I thought and the team is moving him back and forth between strong side LB and Mike LB which is good for his long term prospects. I thought he did a really, really good job coming downhill in that game against the Raiders and he looks good in that regard. But he's still and can't cover, which will likely not make him a viable NFL starter for a couple of years, or strong side only. Still, I suspect he makes the roster this year, which is good. 

Commanders

Forbes - seems to have had a successful camp so far showing off his talent. So far, seems like he's been good.

Jartavius Martin - haven't heard much from him unfortunately.

Ricky Stromberg - backup center, but has been getting some play at guard and apparently doing well. 

Braeden Daniels - nonexistent. 

KJ Henry - haven't heard anything

Andre Jones - might be what I thought Henry would be. Sounds like he is doing well for a 7th rounder.

Chris Rodriguez - probably will make the team as the third RB. 

non draft guys:

Mason Brooks - maybe our surprise UDFA. Turning heads at guard. 

Kazemir Allen - a decent chance to make the team as our 6th WR and returner?

Zion Bowens - probably a great practice squad candidate

Chargers:

WR/PR Derius Davis: Looks electric and took a punt to the house in the first preseason game.

IDL Scott Matlock: Looks energetic and lively. Technique needs much refining but he's an athlete with a high motor, so there's definitely potential there.

RB Elijah Dotson: Already like the 3rd fastest guy on an offense that still lacks speed. He got us to waive the (ZOM)RB Larry Rountree so he's already the team MVP.

IDL Jerrod Clark: Hopefully can provide a strong nose presence that we've lacked since Jamal Williams left. I think he led all rookie IDL for the league in run stop win % in week 1? Not sure though.

1.17 - Christian Gonzalez CB - Takes all his reps with the 1s, he’s set to be out there early and often. Constantly displays his athleticism and is always around the ball, still going through some growing pains. He’ll be out there.

2.46 - Keion White EDGE - Another guy that’s showing his athleticism at every turn. Primarily has been lining up outside, despite talks of him possibly playing inside on rush downs. He’s still learning the keys and nuance to the position, but he’s big and he’s fast. He’s making it work and having a good camp. He likely won’t start with Judon/Uche/Wise getting time at the edge spots, but White will be a part of things down the road. 

3.76 - Marte Mapu LB/S - A force, he’s always around the ball. Lauded for how versatile he is, he’s getting reps everywhere except EDGE and DT. His play speed is real. Not sure where he fits in on game day - NE has lots of guys (Dugger, Phillips, Peppers) that could play similar roles - but when he gets on the field he’ll be a flashy player, I hope. 

4.107 - Jake Andrews C/G - Saw some reps when starter David Andrews missed time. Also got a little done at guard with the injuries there. Hasn’t been particularly good or particularly bad in limited reps. 

4.112 - Chad Ryland K - Been solid, he’s in a full on battle with veteran Nick Folk. Overall, Folk might be a hair better accuracy wise, but his leg is very, very weak. Ryland’s leg is where you need it to be for a high end NFL kicker. 

4.117 - Sidy Sow G/T - Just now is beginning to get reps at RT. After mostly playing guard throughout his college career, NE seems set on using him at tackle. Trent Brown’s taken a liking to him, and with injuries to Calvin Anderson and Conor McDermott, Sow’s getting a chance to work. Too early to say anything. He’s clearly behind at least 4 tackles when everyone’s healthy, though.

5.144 - Antonio Mafi G - hHas been getting reps with Michael Onwenu and Cole Strange dinged up. He might be the top backup at guard at this point. Nothing particularly good or bad gets said.

6.187 - Kayshon Bourne WR - Had a pretty solid camp so far. Shown good hands and has taken to the coaching thus far, which was a worry. He’s unfortunately being outshined and probably won’t make the roster at this point. 

6.192 - Bryce Baringer P - Seems to have the starting job locked up,  being lauded for having a huge leg.

6.210 - Damario “Pop” Douglas WR - The biggest surprise of camp, he’s been maybe the best WR in camp (Parker has been playing well too). Didn’t play in the first preseason game, where the starters all sat. He may not see the field a ton with 4 receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, but he’s a roster lock IMO.

6.214 - Ameer Speed CB - Hasn’t shown much of anything good, possible STer. 

7.245 - Isaiah Bolden CB - Hasn’t shown much of anything good, possible STer.

UDFA - Malik Cunningham QB/WR - Showed some wiggle in the first preseason game. Takes reps over McSorley as QB3. I’m not sure NE sees him as a real QB but with the new rule for 3rd string QBs, it wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes a game day active (with Zappe as the emergency third guy). It’s very possible the kid sees reps in the red zone or on some gimmicky plays. I think the coaches like what he brings as a gadget QB.

Edited by Soko

Titans:

1. Peter Skoronski-Starting left guard.  Didn't really notice him in the first preseason game, which is a good sign.

2. Will Levis-Still QB3 on the depth chart, but we'll see how he does more this preseason, though it's looking like he's still a little behind Malik Willis.

3. Tyjae Spears-Has been getting the most attention in OTAs, and looked good in extremely limited time against Chicago.

5. Josh Whyle-He's definitely still there.

6. Jaelyn Duncan-Played against Chicago, caused a penalty, and didn't look good.

7. Colton Dowell-Caught a pass in the preseason game.  Looking like he's gonna be on the practice squad.

UDFAs:

Eric Garror-The new name in town as a UDFA CB.  Had a great game against Chicago, and excited to see if that was a fluke.

Tre'Shaun Harrison and Kearis Jackson-The UDFA WRs that are currently better bets to make the roster than Dowell.

John Ojukwu-Was getting starter reps at RT before a camp injury.  Hoping he comes back since everyone else at the RT spot looks like ***.

Caleb Murphy-A great game against Chicago (1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QBH).  Good bet to make the roster.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

3) Cameron Latu, TE. 

Believe it or not, this pick may have been more hated than the moody pick lol. That's not a joke. And surprise, surprise, he's been awful. He's only making the roster because he's a third round pick. They may have to carry 4 tight ends now just to do it. He probably hasn't been one of the 4 best tight ends in camp too. He's had substantial drop issues during camp then in the first preseason game was involved in two penalties and fumbled his only catch. If he gets nicked up even a little bit during the preseason, wouldn't be surprised if they just IR him and shelve his season. 

Jfc lol

Steelers

1. OT Broderick Jones -   looks ready as a run blocker.   Pass blocking needs alot of work.

2.   CB Joey Porter Jr -   looks pretty good in camp.    Didnt play first preseason game.

2.  NT Keanu Benton -  kinda quiet in camp.    Had some nice plays in preseason game.

3.  TE Darnell Washington -   needs work, but has flashed big as both blocker and receiver.

4.  OLB Nick Herbig -   getting lots of praise, and looked really good in preseason game.

Nothing of note after that.   Trice out for year.    Spencer Anderson still an enigma.

Leave me alone.

Bills:

TE Dalton Kincaid - Bills will be using a lot more 12 personnel this season. Has shown a quick connection with Allen. Has shown enough as a blocker to not be a liability so far. Is he the guy to break the trend about rookie TE? Maybe. I could see a similar stat line to Pitts but less yards/more TD's.

OG O'Cyrus Torrence - is battling the incumbent Ryan Bates to start at RG. All signs point to Torrence getting the job and being a mauler.

LB Dorian Williams - been a weird off-season. Right after the draft Brandon Beane said he will be at Weakside this year. Then at OTA's and minicamp he got time at MLB. Then for camp and week 1 of pre-season its strictly been WLB. He popped on film and many fans are hoping he is still in the mix for the starting MLB spot.

WR Justin Shorter - IMO he will be the Bills back end WR who is a core 4 special teamer (Kumerow role last few years). Next year maybe looks to contribute on offense.

OG Nick Broeker - Looks solid against the Colts. Don't see him making the 53 but should be on the PS.

CB Alex Austin - Haven't heard his name much at all this summer. I guess that's both good and bad. Prime PS candidate. 

Deonte Banks started out camp really rough, but has improved quickly and had a great 1st preseason game against the Lions. Even in the snaps he wasn't targeted, he had absolute blanket coverage. He's getting 1st team outside corner reps. He had great coverage on every snap he had against Jameson Williams. His weakness right now is at the release; he was just guessing early in camp, but he's improved a bit and doesn't get nearly as lost anymore. Still needs to improve there though. He'll be our day 1 starting outside corner.

John Michael Schmitz was getting dominated by Dexter Lawrence in practice, and every Giants fan hoped it was just because Dex is that good. The butt woopings seemed to have made an impact though, because he was perfect in his snaps in the first preseason game and also had a great week of joint practices leading up to that. He's technically almost perfect. His play strength will be tested though in his rookie year, especially in this division. He's going to start at C.

Jalin Hyatt's speed is real. He's been a very pleasant surprise in camp, getting open deep regularly. His route running is much better than advertised as well. He's still got to learn how to beat press and handle being manned up, though. There is definitely a role for him in year 1 though, even in this deep receiving corps, and he'll have his deep shots as well as opportunities play decoy a lot on clear out routes down the field. He was open 1 or 2 times on deeper routes in the first preseason game, but injuries to a couple OTs had us playing OGs there for a bit and UDFA Tommy Devito was getting pressured on every dropback. No deep shots could have been taken. He'll be a role player this year as the 5th or so WR on the depth chart, but he will definitely get a few snaps every game, even week 1. Defenses have to respect his speed.

Eric Gray hasn't been anything special and looked hesitant, at both RB and in returner roles, in the first preseason game. He'll make the roster, but I think he needs to build his confidence in himself at this level before he is making any sort of impact. He's the 3rd RB at best behind Saquon and Breida, and he's still probably also behind our 6th round pick from a few years ago Gary Brightwell.

Tre Hawkins has been the biggest surprise of camp. He's a 6th round rookie out of Old Dominion, but his testing numbers were unreal. The Giants did a ton of work on him pre-draft and that is already paying off. He started camp by dominating against the 2s and 3s, so they put him on the outside with the 1st team and he has never looked back. He, like Banks, had a really good showing in his first preseason game. He and Banks have looked so good, and all the Giants nickel corners have looked so bad, that they've moved Adoree Jackson to the slot with the 2 rookies on the boundaries. Whether that sticks or not for week 1 I'm not sure, but they've done it so much now in practice that there is a chance that that is actually what they come out with week 1. He's big, fast, athletic, can hit, and moves really well. The game is definitely not too big for him already. 

Jordon Riley was just a big body from Oregon and most Giants fans weren't sure why we wasted a draft pick on him, even if it was the 7th round. He had a really nice run stop though in the first preseason game, he had a forced fumble in joint practices, and he really is a massive guy. There may be a depth body here. He may make the roster as the last iDL. Otherwise, he'll be stashed on the practice squad. He's in a competition for that final spot with last year's 5th round pick DJ Davidson, but Riley has the leg up due to Davidson starting the preseason on PUP.

Gervarrius Owens is a cannonball. Really instinctive and flies all over the place. The Giants safety depth is really strong, but he's the kind of guy that could be a special teams standout, and I think he makes it on to the 53 based on that, with the potential for more later in the season and down the line. He stepped in front of a throw late in the game last week that looked like he was going to pick and take to the house, but he came up just short. 

The only UDFA worth mentioning is QB Tommy Devito from Illinois. He operated well in his first game, and you can see there are some tools to work with. He'll be our PS QB this year.

Really impressive early returns from this draft class so far. Banks, JMS, and Hawkins are day 1 starters, and not necessarily by necessity. While Hyatt is relatively buried on the depth chart right now, he'll have an important role. The Giants ran Yankee concept so much last year with Darius Slayton coming underneath to the zone vacated by a corner covering... Marcus Johnson. Jalin Hyatt takes Marcus Johnson's role on those concept plays and is instantly a huge improvement.

Someone very nicely put together a video of Giants-Lions preseason all-22 footage highlighting all the snaps taken by Banks and Hawkins. The Giants are really hoping they have a Tariq Woolen-Coby Bryant type tandem here in these 2. Like I said, early returns are really positive.

Edited by minutemancl