How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Warhorse said:

Look, your Colt hatred is almost a schtick. It's your prerogative, of course. True, that is a great comparison for physical ability. If you listen to AR talk, I don't think he is going to go the way those players did. We shall see. 

Hey, he could absolutely be the next Josh Allen. But a one legged sky bomb? What’s the point of that?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

84th on my BB. Was surprised to see him fall to 205. His game felt similar to me as that of Bryan Edwards coming out of South Carolina but I thought Hutch ran better routes thus why was higher for me than Edwards would be in the same class. (I know that’s not a great outlook for him, but I do think he is a better prospect)

The one thing about him that I’m sort of observing real time - they said he was really inexperienced and was sort of learning on the job at ISU, but his improvement was noticeable from game to game (and sometimes snap to snap). The nuances were becoming commonplace and he was absorbing everything like a sponge.

It seems as if that’s taking place right now. I don’t think he’s seen many reps against Stingley, but he’s been routinely beating every other DB, he’s using his size advantage as you’d want to see a guy with his size do - that’s a great trait to have, there have been plenty of guys who had the frame and athleticism to be a physical menace to DBs but never used that size correctly - it seems to be Hutch’s greatest weapon right now and he’s not afraid to use it and play physical.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hey, he could absolutely be the next Josh Allen. But a one legged sky bomb? What’s the point of that?

I don't think there was a point. He's just having fun. Dude skips to practice....hell, after the game with Buffalo, he's just high on life. 

I sure don't know where his ceiling is going to stop, but his desire and appetite to get better, are through the roof. Odds are against him, as they are most rookie QB's. 

I get your point though. He is a huge question mark. Hope it works out. If not, the "Stash" can maybe come in a win a few games. Should be interesting at the very least. Got to admit, Matt Ryan was not exciting to watch. At least were gonna get that. 

Edited by Warhorse

5 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Look, your Colt hatred is almost a schtick. It's your prerogative, of course.

Next time I’ll compliment him on a random thing that doesn’t translate at all to the field.

True, that is a great comparison for physical ability.

Maybe pick a lane? What I said was fair.

If you listen to AR talk, I don't think he is going to go the way those players did. We shall see. 

I’m not saying he isn’t a great kid or doesn’t have tools because everything physically is there except for technique and accuracy of course, and he’s got a contagious personality. I think the deck is stacked against him though.

3 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I don't think there was a point. He's just having fun. Dude skips to practice....hell, after the game with Buffalo, he's just high on life. 

I sure don't know where his ceiling is going to stop, but his desire and appetite to get better, are through the roof. Odds are against him, as they are most rookie QB's. 

His ceiling isn’t a concern for me. His floor is. One year and change as a starter with some pretty horrible film throwing the ball. But yeah he is an impressive athlete who has a strong arm.

3 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I get your point though. He is a huge question mark. Hope it works out. If not, the "Stash" can maybe come in a win a few games. Should be interesting at the very least. Got to admit, Matt Ryan was not exciting to watch. At least were gonna get that. 

Matt Ryan was absolutely washed last year.

As for my Colts hatred, I took it like a man for 20 years here in Ohio. I’m going to enjoy it for a while even if it’s short lived. Blame your snobby white collar fan base here.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

As for my Colts hatred, I took it like a man for 20 years here in Ohio. I’m going to enjoy it for a while even if it’s short lived. Blame your snobby white collar fan base here.

Seriously? I live in Oregon. Fan since Unitas, never afforded a home game. You're pointing fingers and have no idea who you're pointing at. Please resume your regularly scheduled hatred. 

You know, I came back to edit....have yourself a good day. Hope things get better, and fans treat you better. Good luck.

Edited by Warhorse

52 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Seriously? I live in Oregon. Fan since Unitas, never afforded a home game. You're pointing fingers and have no idea who you're pointing at. Please resume your regularly scheduled hatred. 

You know, I came back to edit....have yourself a good day. Hope things get better, and fans treat you better. Good luck.

None of that is directed towards you at all. The move was tough and frankly the Irsay family is absolutely to blame there. Parlay that with Indy fans who made my life miserable as a fan, and here we are. I loved Peyton and was happy for him winning a ring there. The cocky fan base around here who rubbed my nose in it for no reason on the other hand? Nah

On 8/17/2023 at 4:41 PM, minutemancl said:

Deonte Banks started out camp really rough, but has improved quickly and had a great 1st preseason game against the Lions. Even in the snaps he wasn't targeted, he had absolute blanket coverage. He's getting 1st team outside corner reps. He had great coverage on every snap he had against Jameson Williams. His weakness right now is at the release; he was just guessing early in camp, but he's improved a bit and doesn't get nearly as lost anymore. Still needs to improve there though. He'll be our day 1 starting outside corner.

John Michael Schmitz was getting dominated by Dexter Lawrence in practice, and every Giants fan hoped it was just because Dex is that good. The butt woopings seemed to have made an impact though, because he was perfect in his snaps in the first preseason game and also had a great week of joint practices leading up to that. He's technically almost perfect. His play strength will be tested though in his rookie year, especially in this division. He's going to start at C.

Jalin Hyatt's speed is real. He's been a very pleasant surprise in camp, getting open deep regularly. His route running is much better than advertised as well. He's still got to learn how to beat press and handle being manned up, though. There is definitely a role for him in year 1 though, even in this deep receiving corps, and he'll have his deep shots as well as opportunities play decoy a lot on clear out routes down the field. He was open 1 or 2 times on deeper routes in the first preseason game, but injuries to a couple OTs had us playing OGs there for a bit and UDFA Tommy Devito was getting pressured on every dropback. No deep shots could have been taken. He'll be a role player this year as the 5th or so WR on the depth chart, but he will definitely get a few snaps every game, even week 1. Defenses have to respect his speed.

Eric Gray hasn't been anything special and looked hesitant, at both RB and in returner roles, in the first preseason game. He'll make the roster, but I think he needs to build his confidence in himself at this level before he is making any sort of impact. He's the 3rd RB at best behind Saquon and Breida, and he's still probably also behind our 6th round pick from a few years ago Gary Brightwell.

Tre Hawkins has been the biggest surprise of camp. He's a 6th round rookie out of Old Dominion, but his testing numbers were unreal. The Giants did a ton of work on him pre-draft and that is already paying off. He started camp by dominating against the 2s and 3s, so they put him on the outside with the 1st team and he has never looked back. He, like Banks, had a really good showing in his first preseason game. He and Banks have looked so good, and all the Giants nickel corners have looked so bad, that they've moved Adoree Jackson to the slot with the 2 rookies on the boundaries. Whether that sticks or not for week 1 I'm not sure, but they've done it so much now in practice that there is a chance that that is actually what they come out with week 1. He's big, fast, athletic, can hit, and moves really well. The game is definitely not too big for him already. 

Jordon Riley was just a big body from Oregon and most Giants fans weren't sure why we wasted a draft pick on him, even if it was the 7th round. He had a really nice run stop though in the first preseason game, he had a forced fumble in joint practices, and he really is a massive guy. There may be a depth body here. He may make the roster as the last iDL. Otherwise, he'll be stashed on the practice squad. He's in a competition for that final spot with last year's 5th round pick DJ Davidson, but Riley has the leg up due to Davidson starting the preseason on PUP.

Gervarrius Owens is a cannonball. Really instinctive and flies all over the place. The Giants safety depth is really strong, but he's the kind of guy that could be a special teams standout, and I think he makes it on to the 53 based on that, with the potential for more later in the season and down the line. He stepped in front of a throw late in the game last week that looked like he was going to pick and take to the house, but he came up just short. 

The only UDFA worth mentioning is QB Tommy Devito from Illinois. He operated well in his first game, and you can see there are some tools to work with. He'll be our PS QB this year.

Really impressive early returns from this draft class so far. Banks, JMS, and Hawkins are day 1 starters, and not necessarily by necessity. While Hyatt is relatively buried on the depth chart right now, he'll have an important role. The Giants ran Yankee concept so much last year with Darius Slayton coming underneath to the zone vacated by a corner covering... Marcus Johnson. Jalin Hyatt takes Marcus Johnson's role on those concept plays and is instantly a huge improvement.

Someone very nicely put together a video of Giants-Lions preseason all-22 footage highlighting all the snaps taken by Banks and Hawkins. The Giants are really hoping they have a Tariq Woolen-Coby Bryant type tandem here in these 2. Like I said, early returns are really positive.

The Giants rookies who didn't show out in preseason game 1 did show out in game 2, which was great to see. 

Banks, Hawkins, and John Michael Schmitz had solid, quiet nights. 

Hyatt had a drop, but also showed off his speed and deep receiving ability with a 33 yard touchdown. It looked like his deep touchdowns at Tennessee where you wonder what the hell the safety is thinking, but I think Hyatt is just that fast that any indecision or any time your feet stop, he's by you. 

Eric Gray looked decisive, had a rushing touchdown where he showed off some power, and made a smart special teams play. Really nice to see a 180 from him so quickly. 

Jordan Riley again showed out. He's been really surprising. He absolutely bullied that Panthers backup center on multiple plays, including 2 really nice TFLs, one on a 4th down attempt. 

Gervarrius Owens finally got to show off. I think he had 2 PBUs and a pressure last night. He's fun to watch. 

Another really good showing for these rookies, and Schoen's 2nd year guys have shown up as well (Kayvon and Neal look much better so far in their second year). Giants fans are super encouraged. 

Ryland over in the Patriots has the strong leg and that he needs however to be accurate and dependable. Nick Folk was awesome but he lacks leg strength. Plus the former is less expensive than the latter. Just put Nick on standby just in case but the Patriots want a kicker for the near future. Got really spoiled with Gostkowski!