How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Yep Spears and Roschon I also took in the same dynasty league. 

I really like Khalil Herbert's ability - but I can't deny that the current FO didn't draft him, and they drafted Roschon.   And yes, Roschon on anyplace but Texas, and we'd have hear a LOT more hype on him.

• Like 2

Just now, Broncofan said:

I really like Khalil Herbert's ability - but I can't deny that the current FO didn't draft him, and they drafted Roschon.   And yes, Roschon on anyplace but Texas, and we'd have hear a LOT more hype on him.

And again we do our rookie draft in our dynasty league a week before the nfl draft so we have no idea where these guys will land.

Just now, Scoundrel said:

And again we do our rookie draft in our dynasty league a week before the nfl draft so we have no idea where these guys will land.

Yeah, that's a wild card for sure.   I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Miller is the consensus RB4 now in dynasty, I personally would have put him RB3, but I was seeing him drop to RB6-7 after Kamara's suspension news came out.  That's super-shortsighted IMO.     Talent shows up eventually (and Kamara / J-Williams aren't tied to the Saints $-wise long-term, if Miller shows as well as the scouting / preseason suggest).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, that's a wild card for sure.   I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Miller is the consensus RB4 now in dynasty, I personally would have put him RB3, but I was seeing him drop to RB6-7 after Kamara's suspension news came out.  That's super-shortsighted IMO.     Talent shows up eventually (and Kamara / J-Williams aren't tied to the Saints $-wise long-term, if Miller shows as well as the scouting / preseason suggest).

Yeah Miller was a high enough pick he is going to get his shot in 2024 I would imagine. I want to see him behind the Saints first string interior. Penning played but he was getting abused…

12 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Yeah Miller was a high enough pick he is going to get his shot in 2024 I would imagine. I want to see him behind the Saints first string interior. Penning played but he was getting abused…

NO moving up for Penning (and for Davenport b4) really are moves they probably regret.  As great as their 2017 draft class was, GM Loomis' big Rd1 move-up's for non-QB's since then haven't worked out at all (which follows the general trend <EDIT: on paying extra 1st's to get non-QB's> - time will tell on HOU & Will Anderson).   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

NO moving up for Penning (and for Davenport b4) really are moves they probably regret.  As great as their 2017 draft class was, GM Loomis' Rd1 move-up's for non-QB's since then haven't worked out at all (which follows the general trend - time will tell on HOU & Will Anderson).   

They moved up for Olave… he seems to be worth it so far

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

They moved up for Olave… he seems to be worth it so far

Fair on that for sure, that move up only cost 98/120 though, whereas Davenport's move up cost an extra 1st IIRC & Penning cost a future 1st to acquire straight up. 

Move up's with Late day 2 capital isn't terrible - the track record where you pay multiple 1sts for non-QB's is where it's seldom paid off.  To be fair, only Davenport qualifies, Penning may just be a failed Rd1 pick (but didn't cost 2 1sts, right?).    Should have been clearer on that.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Found this on Twitter find it very interesting. These backup oline’s are just a mess around the league.

Roschon Johnson has totaled 1 yard before contact on 19 carries this preseason.

After contact?

• 75 yards (4th)

• 98.7% of yards (4th)

• 0.32 missed tackles forced per run (4th)

Steeler rookies are looking like rookies 🙂

Broderick Jones is behind Dan Moore at LT.  We can see the scouting report on Jones was correct.  Very athletic but needs technique.  I would expect Jones to start at LT later this year.

Joey Porter Jr. has played in one game and looked decent.  He will be in the rotation this year and perhaps start later in the year.

Keeanu Benton has looked good when not asked to hold the line.  He plays like a 3 tech or a one gap NT.  He is going to be good as long as it is not expecting him to stuff up the middle.

Darnell Washington has show a great ability to down block and is learning his routes and how to be a receiver.  He is going to be a big threat in the seams and by the goal.

Nick Herbig has shown nicely as a OLB.  Very explosive and learns for TJ on his pass rush moves.  Steelers will have great depth behind Watt and Highsmith.

Cory Trice got injured in training camp but was looking good.  He has a long history of lower body injuries so I am just hoping he can come back with a year off ( now on IR)

Spencer Anderson is battling for a backup job on the oline.  I think he has played at all 5 spots during the preseason.  I think he gets a helmet just for that but he may also be the #2 center.

not a rookie but didn't play last year Calvin Austin III has been everything promised and then some.  Speed to burn.  He will take at least one punt to the house this year.  He will be WR #4 for the Steelers.

As others have mentioned Kendre Miller looks like he has the potential to be a stud 3 down RB for the Saints for years to come. Wouldn’t shock me if he was our primary RB next season and should still see quite a bit of work as a rookie even with Kamara and Williams on the roster.

Another guy that has been getting rave reviews throughout training camp is Jake Haener. His preseason debut last week had mixed results, but he looked very good last night. He processes the field so quickly and has a bit more zip on his passes than I was expecting since he is a little “undersized” for a QB. Has shown very good accuracy and ball placement and seems to have good pocket awareness. Really intrigued to see how he develops.

https://x.com/baldynfl/status/1693596273398497784?s=46&t=aFLRJucxbhra7kR0gRYX0w

Edited by tyler735

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

MVS-Toney-Moore-James-Rice-Ross-Smith-Marsette would be my guess. Remigio being a darkhorse candidate

Top 4 seem pretty set.    Rice/Ross/  Justin Watson are probably 5-7 in some order.   I don't see any way we don't carry 7 right now.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, NYJets4716 said:

For the Jets.

1 (15) DE Will McDonald looks like an absolute stud already. He is explosive, bendy, and has a nasty spin move. He is going to be a really good pass rusher in this league. 

2nd round Joe Tippman has looked excellent in games, is moving up the depth chart. Might not start right away due to a veteran being over him but he has looked promising so far as a potential long term center. 

5th round pick Izzy at RB has looked really good so far. 

6th round pick LB Barnes has looked promising in the last game, good fit for the style of defense Saleh plays and might develop into a starter one day. 

After the 3rd preseason game.

Over my time as a Jets fan, I've seen the Jets draft a lot of busts DE that would show nothing as a pass rusher. I have not seen a EDGE rusher with the Jets come onto the field and play like McDonald is. I am pretty convinced baring injury he is going to be one of the better edge rushers in the NFL. His moves and athletic ability is going to give OTs a lot of trouble. Absolute stud pick, especially considering a lot of people laughed at the Jets and thought they "panicked".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Will be very interesting to see how the Chiefs WR core shakes out. @Jakuvious How do you see it unfolding?

I'm getting less and less sure. Two things that that fed into my expectations to start the offseason, were that first year WRs rarely see heavy snap counts for Andy Reid (even Tyreek, who was productive as a rookie, basically got snaps on gadget plays until Maclin got hurt), and last year we kind of had three roles within our WR room. You had the possession/move the chains kind of guy, which was JuJu, backed up by Moore. You had the gadget play guy, who was Hardman, then Toney late in the season. And then the clear out guy, who ran a lot of deep routes to keep defenses honest and open things up for Kelce/JuJu/McKinnon, which was MVS backed up by Watson. Like, Moore got very minimal targets last year, except in the brief stretch JuJu got hurt. Toney was unnecessary until Hardman got hurt. So I kind of expected something similar this year. Moore steps into JuJu's role, MVS and Watson are back, Toney is back, and then you have Rice/Ross/James to replace Moore/Hardman and take the special teams snaps.

Now, I'm not as sure. Things started out this way, most of the snaps with the 1s were going to Moore and MVS. Toney was in there prior to getting hurt. Rice and Ross looked good but were pretty solidly running with the backups. So this fit what I expected. Thought Moore would step up into the JuJu role this year, next year would be Rice and/or Ross's chance to jump in for MVS (who we probably cut to save money) and Watson (who I doubt we resign again.) But Moore did not show out near as much last year during the preseason as Rice, James, and Ross have this year. And each have started getting rotated in a little bit more with the 1s as a result. Rice, Ross, and James all got at least a little run with the 1s in the second preseason game. Rice saw as many snaps as Watson, and almost as many as Moore. Ross only got two but was targeted on both, and Mahomes has spoke highly of him.

So right now, I have no idea. This could all be noise, and we could settle right back into Andy's comfort zone of barely any rookies, and it's all back to MVS, Moore, Watson, and Toney when healthy, with Rice, Ross, and James handling special teams, injury replacement, and the occasional gadget play. Personally, I'd love for one of them to at least supplant Watson, who is the current guy that Reid and Mahomes love but no one knows why. I do think regardless, MVS will have the highest snap count. His role is pretty set. I think all of the above 7 make the roster, at this point. They might use Toney's injury as a way to cram more guys in there. But once we get past MVS's role, and Toney's gadget plays and injuries, it's very fuzzy still.

• Like 1