How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

On 8/17/2023 at 8:35 PM, ET80 said:

- CJ Stroud is still learning, but it’s starting to come together. He’s getting better at reading the defense and reading through the false looks he’s getting, and he’s starting to show off his otherworldly ball placement. 

- Will Anderson is going to be in the DPOY/All Pro conversation (not just the DROY conversation). His biggest flaw per scouts was his hand usage in pass rush; He must have took that personally because he has demonstrated perhaps some of the most violent hands since they put on the pads, it’s clear he’s improved drastically since his days at Alabama (which was like, five months ago?) The only person who can seemingly slow him down is Laremy Tunsil, arguably one of the best pass blocking LTs in football. Anderson is going to be a PROBLEM.

- Juice Scruggs is being forced into the starting lineup after Scott Quessenberry was lost with a torn ACL/MCL. Reports are that he’s strong - REALLY strong - but he’s overly reliant on brute strength vs technique. That’s not sustainable for a C, he’s going to have to improve his technique to maintain the IOL.

- Tank Dell might be a middle-class mans’ Devonta Smith; Sure, he’s small. But his route running is so quick and fluid, he just snaps out of his route and accelerates right when the DB is getting their feet underneath them. He had a juggling grab for a TD in the Patriots game, he’s really making a case for WR1 in the Texans thin group of players at the position. 

- Dylan Horton has been relatively quiet this camp. I think he’s a longer term project. He might get ST snaps but that’s about it. Hey, there are worse ways to make a six figure salary.

- Henry To’o To’o has been what everyone expected, a competent LB who doesn’t do anything special but does everything well enough; He’s made more plays in coverage than in the run game, but he’s definitely a high IQ guy who will work his way into regular PT sooner rather than later.

- Jarrett Patterson is on the same boat as Horton, longer term project that isn’t really standing out as a rook. He’s going to compete for a G spot one day, just not today.

- Xavier Hutchinson is a real surprise so far; He’s getting open every other snap, he’s got an extra large catch radius and he plays much bigger than he is (and he’s 6’ 3” 206, so he ain’t small). I want to see him get a lot of snaps, because… I think he might be a legitimate steal.

- Brandon… Hill? Brandon Hill. Yup, that’s a name. I guess. He was drafted, at least? I guess?

- CJ Stroud looked competent despite being under constant duress on Sunday. There were 3-4 drives where he was making things happen, he was dealing to Robert Woods and Nico Collins. The TD has yet to materialize, but he's steady. One thing I didn't know? He can tuck it and run really well. 

- Will Anderson? He's HIM. He basically used Morgan Moses as a baseball bat, picking him up and hitting Lamar Jackson with Morgan on more than one occasion. He was the pressure that led to the other three clean up sacks by the Texans, his pressure led to the Steven Nelson INT and he was horse collared to the ground by Moses before getting up and taking Jackson down for his first career sack. Say what you will about the cost of moving to 3, the actual player selected is better than anyone the Texans could have taken with any of the picks surrendered.

- Juice Scruggs is on a four game IR stint with an injury. He’s missed, but he might have lost his starting gig at C. (More on this later).

- Tank Dell was only targeted three times or so, and he really didn’t do much. He had a nice sideline grab that was negated by holding. I expect him to be the first recipient of a Stroud TD pass. 

- Horton played in the rotation. Not really noticeable, but he played.

- Henry To’o To’o was the 2nd highest graded player on the Texans, per PFF. Anytime I saw him, he was making a nice tackle. This is a good football player.

- Jarrett Patterson. Now HERE is a surprise. Patterson was forced into the lineup following injury and played all day at C and… dare I say, he looked really good! He walled off defenders in pass pro and did a solid job moving his guy in the run game. If I’m the Texans, I move Scruggs to LG and Patterson sticks at C. This is another good football player.

- Xavier Hutchinson only played four offensive snaps, but he had a nice grab on a slant route; Ball was low and he got to it quick for a short gain. He might be more than meets the eye.

- Brandon Hill. You might get PT due to injuries. Get ready.

40 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Campbell- played ST and limited defensive snaps. Had a very nice PBU in third qtr right before the INT. 

To add to this, on special teams he was the key block on the fake punt that allowed Reeves-Maybin to get the first down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How'd they do week one?

Brown - 0 snaps

Cam latu - 0 snaps (on IR because he was awful and they didn't want to cut him)

Darrell Luther - 0 snaps (pup)

Robert Beal - 0 snaps (IR... May return though)

Dee Winters- 0 snaps

Brayden Willis- 0 snaps

Ronnie Bell- 7 offensive snaps, baby!!! Jackpot!

Jalen Graham- 0 snaps

So in truth, the niners rookies are right where the team wants them to be, tbh. 

Moody was perfect on his kicks in week 1. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- CJ Stroud looked competent despite being under constant duress on Sunday. There were 3-4 drives where he was making things happen, he was dealing to Robert Woods and Nico Collins. The TD has yet to materialize, but he's steady. One thing I didn't know? He can tuck it and run really well. 

- Will Anderson? He's HIM. He basically used Morgan Moses as a baseball bat, picking him up and hitting Lamar Jackson with Morgan on more than one occasion. He was the pressure that led to the other three clean up sacks by the Texans, his pressure led to the Steven Nelson INT and he was horse collared to the ground by Moses before getting up and taking Jackson down for his first career sack. Say what you will about the cost of moving to 3, the actual player selected is better than anyone the Texans could have taken with any of the picks surrendered.

- Juice Scruggs is on a four game IR stint with an injury. He’s missed, but he might have lost his starting gig at C. (More on this later).

- Tank Dell was only targeted three times or so, and he really didn’t do much. He had a nice sideline grab that was negated by holding. I expect him to be the first recipient of a Stroud TD pass. 

- Horton played in the rotation. Not really noticeable, but he played.

- Henry To’o To’o was the 2nd highest graded player on the Texans, per PFF. Anytime I saw him, he was making a nice tackle. This is a good football player.

- Jarrett Patterson. Now HERE is a surprise. Patterson was forced into the lineup following injury and played all day at C and… dare I say, he looked really good! He walled off defenders in pass pro and did a solid job moving his guy in the run game. If I’m the Texans, I move Scruggs to LG and Patterson sticks at C. This is another good football player.

- Xavier Hutchinson only played four offensive snaps, but he had a nice grab on a slant route; Ball was low and he got to it quick for a short gain. He might be more than meets the eye.

- Brandon Hill. You might get PT due to injuries. Get ready.

I think people started overthinking Anderson as the offseason went along. He was the best prospect in the draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How'd they do week one?

Christian Gonzalez had a solid game overall. Didn’t lack physicality as his draft report suggested, came in and made 7 tackles and a sack. Had a huge 4th down PBU that gave NE the chance to take the lead late. He gave up a few balls to AJB and Devonta Smith, but not much you can complain about from a rookie in his first start. 

Keion White showed he belonged by bullying Lane Johnson and Jordan Mailata on a couple of the plays he was in for. One pressure forced Hurts to bail from the pocket (vs Mailata), and another forced an incompletion when White knocked Hurts’ arm in the throwing motion (vs Lane). He didn’t play much in the second half, not totally sure why, but once/if he gets his bearings together, he could really help.

Marte Mapu showed his versatility by playing both LBer and S. His speed and “see ball, get ball” mentality again showed up in a limited fashion, but like White, he didn’t see as much time as the game went on. 

Sidy Sow and Atonio Mafi started at LG and RG respectively, in place of Michael Onwenu and Cole Strange, who are still recovering. They weren’t perfect vs Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, and Fletcher Cox…but they performed admirably for Day 3 rookies against a really dominant Eagles front. They weren’t perfect out there, but they weren’t the reason NE was losing the game either. It’s just one week, and OL in general is still a weakness (more so at tackle than guard, especially if/when Strange and Onwenu return), but the rookies showed up. 

Damario Douglas and Kayshon Boutte got their share of looks too, especially Boutte with Parker missing the game. Mac looked to Boutte late in the game, and the latter had a couple big opportunities to make some plays but ultimately didn’t/couldn’t make a couple of toe tapping catches. Rookie WRs and all, but no excuse. Boutte’s 0 catches on 4 targets isn’t pretty (Douglas had 4-40 on 7 targets) but it was pretty interesting that the two were targeted so much. Boutte out snapped JuJu by a pretty big margin.

Punter Bryce Baringer had himself a good game, with a couple of really nice punts. Kicker Chad Ryland did all of what was asked of him, but you also have to wonder if some of Bill’s decisions on 4th down had anything to do with a lack of faith in Ryland’s accuracy. 

Overall it was a pretty decent performance for Week 1 of 2023’s draft class. A lot of guys got right on the field.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Soko said:

Christian Gonzalez had a solid game overall. Didn’t lack physicality as his draft report suggested, came in and made 7 tackles and a sack. Had a huge 4th down PBU that gave NE the chance to take the lead late. He gave up a few balls to AJB and Devonta Smith, but not much you can complain about from a rookie in his first start. 

Keion White showed he belonged by bullying Lane Johnson and Jordan Mailata on a couple of the plays he was in for. One pressure forced Hurts to bail from the pocket (vs Mailata), and another forced an incompletion when White knocked Hurts’ arm in the throwing motion (vs Lane). He didn’t play much in the second half, not totally sure why, but once/if he gets his bearings together, he could really help.

Marte Mapu showed his versatility by playing both LBer and S. His speed and “see ball, get ball” mentality again showed up in a limited fashion, but like White, he didn’t see as much time as the game went on. 

Sidy Sow and Atonio Mafi started at LG and RG respectively, in place of Michael Onwenu and Cole Strange, who are still recovering. They weren’t perfect vs Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, and Fletcher Cox…but they performed admirably for Day 3 rookies against a really dominant Eagles front. They weren’t perfect out there, but they weren’t the reason NE was losing the game either. It’s just one week, and OL in general is still a weakness (more so at tackle than guard, especially if/when Strange and Onwenu return), but the rookies showed up. 

Damario Douglas and Kayshon Boutte got their share of looks too, especially Boutte with Parker missing the game. Mac looked to Boutte late in the game, and the latter had a couple big opportunities to make some plays but ultimately didn’t/couldn’t make a couple of toe tapping catches. Rookie WRs and all, but no excuse. Boutte’s 0 catches on 4 targets isn’t pretty (Douglas had 4-40 on 7 targets) but it was pretty interesting that the two were targeted so much. Boutte out snapped JuJu by a pretty big margin.

Punter Bryce Baringer had himself a good game, with a couple of really nice punts. Kicker Chad Ryland did all of what was asked of him, but you also have to wonder if some of Bill’s decisions on 4th down had anything to do with a lack of faith in Ryland’s accuracy. 

Overall it was a pretty decent performance for Week 1 of 2023’s draft class. A lot of guys got right on the field.

Yeah I'd say Gonzalez more than held his own against a top 3 receiving corps. He did give up a few balls, but everything was in front of him. He didn't lack physicality against jacked up Batman at all. The pass break up was nice.

Marpu and Dugger on the same defense must be intimidating for ball carriers. Those two are missiles. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

Packers rookies really showed out in week 1. Was really impressed with everyone expecting minutes in the game. Could be one of those team changing drafts if they continue to grow off of this game. 

1. Lukas Van Ness - Had an impressive sack chasing down Justin Fields and otherwise had probably his best day as a pro counting preseason. He ranked 3rd out of all rookies in pass rushing grade and had additional 5 pressures to his sack. He also wasn't out of position and played smart. Really impressed after a kind of disappointing preseason.

2. Luke Musgrave - Looked the part had 4 targets on the day with 3 receptions for 50 yards. Ran right by a safety on a play but Love missed him on his 4th reception. If Love would have hit him it would have been 4 receptions 100 yards with a TD. Overall a decent debut. 

2. Jayden Reed - Also looked the part. Had 5 targets with 2 receptions and 50 yards. He also was impressive as a punt returner average 18 yards a return but ripped off a great 30 yard return. Overall pretty happy. 

3. Tucker Kraft - Played a little bit of special teams and offense. Didn't really notice him in either. 

4. Colby Wooden - Had 4 pressures on the day with I believe 1 impressive TFL. Looked good out there. 

5. Sean Clifford - Awesome future HOF human victory cigar. 

5. Dontayvian Wicks - Got the start with Watson out but didn't really have any stats. All 22 showed him open on a number of occasions. His moves off the line were Davante Adams lite and if Watson misses the Atlanta game I expect to see him get some stats this week in Atlanta. Actually really impressed when I watched the tape how often he did get open. Great blocker as well which is why I assume he got the start over Malik Heath. 

6. Karl Brooks - 3 pressures on the day including a sack. Him and Wooden make one heck of a young core backing up Clark and Wyatt. 

6. Anders Carlson - 5 for 5 on xp. 1 for 1 with a 51 yard fg. Heck of a start for a guy who was inconsistent in training camp. 

The 7th rounders didn't play much so i'm just lumping them all in as the ones still on the team were there. 

• Like 3

Titans:

Skoronski: Solid game. He wasn’t the one getting beaten that often by the Saints DL, at least.

Levis: Still QB3

Spears: Looked good, and Tannehill missed him on some plays where he might have made a bigger impact receiving, but he’s not the whole-offensive-package that Henry is.

Kearis Jackson is an ok punt returner, and some UDFA guys played some defensive snaps.

Not really much here. Titans looked to have gotten a pretty good guard and a solid piece of an RB room from their draft so far.