2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

I don't think Nijman is "Sure-Thing" replaceable. He's much more of a "Gamble" type of replaceable, where you roll the dice on the likes of Walker and Jones. Has Walker proven himself at RT, or is he being groomed for a purely LT role?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I don't think Nijman is "Sure-Thing" replaceable. He's much more of a "Gamble" type of replaceable, where you roll the dice on the likes of Walker and Jones. Has Walker proven himself at RT, or is he being groomed for a purely LT role?

Walker took some reps with the 1's at RT just the other day in practice. Tom was at C.

Edited by Brat&Beer

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

Nijman is the sort of guy that a team that needs a tackle can convince themselves will work out for them.  You see this all the time since actual left tackles are somewhat rare.  I don't think he's in your plans for the future, but he'll probably be in somebody else's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I think he is still very much a commodity for the 23 Packers. I'm not saying you don't make a good point to get something rather than have him just walk. However it makes me think of how we kept Bak too. He really is the outlier in what the Packers are doing this year and it's because how important this o-line is going to be to allow for Love to grow and have success. So with that said you know what you have in Nijman, and if push comes to shove and we need our swing guy to be in for a lot of snaps or multiple games I think they still feel good about keeping Nijman. 

Given that the Packer organization (like most successful NFL teams) is somewhat conservative in how they handle personnel, you're probably right. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

• Like 1

Re-watching the game this morning it occurs to me that it must take a lot of self-control for Caleb Jones not to grow his woody vines to engulf opposing defenders. That’s holding all day in the NFL.

edit: as nice as it would be to have both Chewbacca and Groot on the team, Telfort doesn’t have the feet that Jones does. McGough would have been sacked by Telfort’s man on the TD to Bonds but for a super quick release on his part.

Edited by Uffdaswede

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Re-watching the game this morning it occurs to me that it must take a lot of self-control for Caleb Jones not to grow his woody vines to engulf opposing defenders. That’s holding all day in the NFL.

edit: as nice as it would be to have both Chewbacca and Groot on the team, Telfort doesn’t have the feet that Jones does. McGough would have been sacked by Telfort’s man on the TD to Bonds but for a super quick release on his part.

I look at Telfort as Nijman 2.0.  Nijman was raw, and not ready to play when he got to GB.  But after a couple of years of development, he is pretty good.  Get Telfort into the practice squad and let him develop his game.  But he is a lump of clay right now. 

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I look at Telfort as Nijman 2.0.  Nijman was raw, and not ready to play when he got to GB.  But after a couple of years of development, he is pretty good.  Get Telfort into the practice squad and let him develop his game.  But he is a lump of clay right now. 

I remember AR telling a story where Bak told him Nijman’s feet were excellent for such a big man and he saw the potential. Does Telford have that same balance and quickness? I have no idea, just saying there are few guys of that size and far fewer that can actually move quick enough to deflect NFL pass rushers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It still comes down to traits. You have to be able to see the traits that can be molded. IF Telfort doesn't have the foot speed to handle pass rushers, it's tough to overcome the lack of that trait.

No offensive line guru, but just saying. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I remember AR telling a story where Bak told him Nijman’s feet were excellent for such a big man and he saw the potential. Does Telford have that same balance and quickness? I have no idea, just saying there are few guys of that size and far fewer that can actually move quick enough to deflect NFL pass rushers. 

That, I don't know.  I will be in the same boat as OldGuy, I am also no OL expert.  From the little that I watched Telfort, I think he seemed to be in the correct position, but looked kind of like he was trying to win by being huge.  Just skimming through the UAB opponents for the last couple of years, he could get away with that against a lot of CUSA opponents.  At the NFL level, it is less likely that you are just going to be able to out muscle your opponent consistently.  I recall one run play against the Patriots when he pushed his man off the ball, but the Patriots guy took him to the ground (2 points in wrestling) because he was super top heavy.  Like all of his power was coming from the shoulders.  I think that gets better with technique, and I think he was able to be in the correct position most of the time, but I am not even close to an expert on OL.  

Shout-out to my guy Runyan. Never understood why there was a "competition" last season between him and Hansen at RG, they were never that close as players. Runyan isn't a star but he's a solid starting OG, especially in the passing game. 

On 8/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, PossibleCabbage said:

Nijman is the sort of guy that a team that needs a tackle can convince themselves will work out for them.  You see this all the time since actual left tackles are somewhat rare.  I don't think he's in your plans for the future, but he'll probably be in somebody else's.

Call the Cardinals and see if they will take Nijman and a pick for Budda Baker. 

15 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just don't see any way Green Bay can make the cap work for that, TBH.  Like they're already going to be under the preferred number for "yearly slush fund, when you need to sign street FAs etc." 

Bakh to Jets for protections lifted off 2024 1st, 2024 2nd and 2025 2nd(potential to turn into 1st)

Jets 2024 2nd, 2024 3rd and 2025 3rd for Buddha

My dream scenario

Why Jets do it: They go all in on 2-3 yr Rodgers era. Get an elite LT at a discount. If Rodgers get's injured behind the patchwork OL they have, Salah and Douglas are both getting their walking papers. 2025 2nd has similar protections in Rodgers trade for Bakh injury.

Why Cardinals do it: Cardinals are in a full rebuild and timeline doesn't match up with Buddha who has let his frustrations be known. Cardinals have a chance to add to their draft war chest 

Why Packers do it: Bakh won't be on the team at his current cap number after this season. Gute does him a solid and let's him go to NY with his best friend to compete for a Super Bowl. Saves 19m which will help offset Baker contract. Safety is by far the weakest position group on the team and with Love looking like the real deal, Packers find themselves in a position once again to win the NFC North and compete in January. With an elite safety on this team, Packers would have the potential to field a top 3 defense. 

3 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Bakh to Jets for protections lifted off 2024 1st, 2024 2nd and 2025 2nd(potential to turn into 1st)

Jets 2024 2nd, 2024 3rd and 2025 3rd for Buddha

My dream scenario

Why Jets do it: They go all in on 2-3 yr Rodgers era. Get an elite LT at a discount. If Rodgers get's injured behind the patchwork OL they have, Salah and Douglas are both getting their walking papers. 2025 2nd has similar protections in Rodgers trade for Bakh injury.

Why Cardinals do it: Cardinals are in a full rebuild and timeline doesn't match up with Buddha who has let his frustrations be known. Cardinals have a chance to add to their draft war chest 

Why Packers do it: Bakh won't be on the team at his current cap number after this season. Gute does him a solid and let's him go to NY with his best friend to compete for a Super Bowl. Saves 19m which will help offset Baker contract. Safety is by far the weakest position group on the team and with Love looking like the real deal, Packers find themselves in a position once again to win the NFC North and compete in January. With an elite safety on this team, Packers would have the potential to field a top 3 defense. 

I like your thoughts on this except trading him to the jets ! I don't dislike the jets and I appreciate everything Rodgers did for our franchise but I'm not doing Bak a solid so he can make the Jets better and make our projected pick worse. 

Any trade involving Bak should go to any team that the jets play ! Miami would be a team that comes to mind , use those picks to get Baker !