2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Through 3 games Jordan Love has been sacked 3 times.   1 was on Love ...1 was a mental error ..Walker...on a blitz.     1 was a mental error ....Dillon... on a blitz. 

Lord knows this unit hasn't been perfect so far, but they've been magnificent keeping the sacks down. 

My impression is that Love has been taking pretty deep drops and had time to look around.  Not sure if stats confirm; but ADOT supports having time in pocket.  Not a deal where lots of quick snap-and-throw-to-WR, or push "passes" to RB behind the line.  Two years ago, my impression was 20% of Aaron's passes were behind the line, and 50% targeted <5 yards from scrimmage.  Lot of quick snap-and-throw to Adams, and Jones. 

With Jones and Watson back, we'll maybe see a little more of the quick throw-and-run stuff?   Watson might earn more cushion to offer quick-throw stuff for 5 yards, who knows.   

Given the good protection Love has gotten, combined with the bad running, might MLF adapt his game-planning?  If Walker-Newman-Runyan-Tom stink at run-blocking but excel in pass, might it not make good sense to pass more and run less? 

Seems like the initial thought was to protect Love and run a lot.  But as weeks pass, maybe "protect Love" seems less crucial?

Saints game was a lot more pass than run; but that may have both been getting down 17-0, and having offensive penalties constantly setting up long down-and-distance? 

Like many things, running is best when its working.  But running with inordinate frequency on 1st downs may not really help to "protect" Love if it too often causes bad down-and-distance, and causes difficult 3rd downs. 

Might "protect Love" be better with more 1st-down passes?   Less blitz; more space to "settle" for a checkdown pass; more allowance for a short QB run but where he can safely slide short of the first down line?  

52 minutes ago, craig said:

Given the good protection Love has gotten, combined with the bad running, might MLF adapt his game-planning?  If Walker-Newman-Runyan-Tom stink at run-blocking but excel in pass, might it not make good sense to pass more and run less? 

Seems like the initial thought was to protect Love and run a lot.  But as weeks pass, maybe "protect Love" seems less crucial?

Saints game was a lot more pass than run; but that may have both been getting down 17-0, and having offensive penalties constantly setting up long down-and-distance? 

Like many things, running is best when its working.  But running with inordinate frequency on 1st downs may not really help to "protect" Love if it too often causes bad down-and-distance, and causes difficult 3rd downs. 

Might "protect Love" be better with more 1st-down passes?   Less blitz; more space to "settle" for a checkdown pass; more allowance for a short QB run but where he can safely slide short of the first down line?  

I agree .. if Watson is back now I'd probably lean towards opening things up until Love shows he can't handle it.  Once the Packers started opening things up against a really good Saints defense Love got much better and showed himself capable of not needing coaching protection.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Having our RB back there that can be more consistent and occasionally break a big one would help the run block grade. Pretty small sample size and in general, not many teams will be running on the NO interior DL this year. I’m still hopeful we can make some quality runs behind this line and with these players. Our offense is much more dangerous when those RPOs are actual dual threats. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, craig said:

I think you are over thinking this one. A change of a couple of percentage points in that direction, OK, but the run and pass need to both be a threat. Keep pounding the ball and good things will happen off of it as the season wears on.    

• Like 3

4 hours ago, R T said:

I think you are over thinking this one. A change of a couple of percentage points in that direction, OK, but the run and pass need to both be a threat. Keep pounding the ball and good things will happen off of it as the season wears on.    

Yeah, a couple of percentage points would probably shift us relative to the league.  Last week there was a post with a graphic showing the Packers to be 2nd in league in run % on neutral downs.  Do we need to top-5 in run % on 1st downs?  Could we maybe change a couple of percentage points, and be like league-average in that?  

If your pass-blocking is excellent, and your run-game is near the bottom of the league, I'd think you wouldn't need to be exceptionally run-oriented?  Might you afford to kinda slide toward league average?  

1 minute ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

May have played his last game in GB, and maybe forever.  I guess we'll give it a month and see where he's at when the time comes.  Could be a sad end for a pretty great LT, or maybe he just needs a few weeks to get things under control .. not holding my breath.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 11:53 AM, craig said:

Could be the running backs sucked the last two weeks also. Maybe Gute knew what we didn't about AJ Dillon. Possibly why the Packers inquired about Taylor.

• Like 1