2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

I'm not sure if this O-line cluster **** is on Gute or the coaches or both. Am I the only one who remembers Gute saying after the last draft that he didn't draft any O-linemen because the coaches were high on the young O-linemen already on the roster and wanted to develop them?

I remember being concerned about the O-line in training camp and being told by some posters on here to hush, because we had one of the best O-lines in the conference. How you all feeling about that now? 

Gute needs to take the bull by the horns here and stop listening to his coaches about the performance level of the players. (Who is he going to believe? His coaches or his lying eyes?) The O-line needs to be rebuilt. We have two starting quality players (Jenkins and Tom) and some back up level guys.

Gute needs to go into the next draft targeting a starting quality left tackle and play the board to land that guy. Jenkins stays at left G. Tom moves to center (I know a lot of you are going to disagree, but that was projected to be his best position coming out of college, and it's a position I think is important). One of our two second round picks should be a G. Right T should be a competition between Tenuta and Walker, but I would draft another T in round 3/4-ish.

So next year the line looks like this: #1 pick, Jenkins, Tom, #2 pick, Walker/Tenuta/#4 pick.

Runyan should learn the center position and be our next Lucas Patrick type IOL backup. Sean Rhyne can continue to develop. Myer becomes our backup center for now, then we let him walk and hope for a 7th round comp pick. Jones is a swing T. Newman starts a new career bagging groceries. 

And I know this is the wrong thread, but dear sweet Jesus, bring in some RBs.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

So next year the line looks like this: #1 pick, Jenkins, Tom, #2 pick, Walker/Tenuta/#4 pick.

You might be on to something there.  The Packers need to determine what Tom's best position is.  I think given his lack of bulk C might be the best spot.  I still think LT is a possibility for him.  Jury is out on Walker.  Maybe RT for him long term.  It also could be we just need to add an elite LT prospect and hope he can man that spot for a decade.  I always thought our Oline coaches were pretty competent, but when the line gets exposed like it did last night it calls everything into question.

• Like 1

Just now, MacReady said:

This unit definitely needs a first round talent at the tackle position.

We do that and condense some of our current talent into the middle of that line and we’re just fine going forward.

People need to write Bakhtiari off this roster.

I bet the Packers count on Bak for 2024 and he winds up not being available again.  Agreed on snagging the best OT on the board in round one next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You might be on to something there.  The Packers need to determine what Tom's best position is.  I think given his lack of bulk C might be the best spot.  I still think LT is a possibility for him.  Jury is out on Walker.  Maybe RT for him long term.  It also could be we just need to add an elite LT prospect and hope he can man that spot for a decade.  I always thought our Oline coaches were pretty competent, but when the line gets exposed like it did last night it calls everything into question.

I think the Packer's coaching staff is suffering from the Peter Principle. Stenovich was a great O-line coach, but is mediocre as an OC. Same for MLF. Great OC, but nor so good as a HC. Barry great at bagging groceries, but failed as a DC.

7 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

Until Jenkins is back

LT - Yosh

LG - Walker

C - Myers

RG - Runyan

RT - Tom

Depth at OG and C isn't good. Rhyan can't overtake Newman.

It might be worth it to give Rhyan a chance.  He is much more physical than Newman.  Our guard-center play needs to become much more physical.  They all looked like they were playing on skates last night on passing plays. 

That was the great thing about Sitton and Wahle when they played.  It was hard to overpower either of those guys and they helped establish a nice clean pocket up front. Love had Lions at his feet in less than 2 seconds last night on numerous pass plays.  We have to get a much better pocket established up front but neither of the guards are very physical.  Both the Saints and the Lions crushed our pocket. Getting Jenkins back after the bye will be a nice upgrade.

Walker had a poor game, but then again so did everyone else on that offensive line. He is very athletic and on most plays his pass blocking is solid.

It would also help the offensive line if we had established a running game. Again, credit the Lions for flying around last night. But we absolutely need a creditable back up to Jones.  Unfortunately, Dillion is not that guy.  His vision is poor so he runs into his own blockers repeatedly whereas Jones seems to be able to slip through holes.

24 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Can someone tell me what happens next year with bahk and his contract? Can we cut him and save $? Will we owe him all of his $?

They'd take on $19M in dead cap but they'd also save $21.5M as his cap number next season would otherwise be $40.5M.

Edited by Striker

13 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

My buddy said he read that if Bahk can't pass his physical, he can claim an injury settlement and the Packers would be on the hook to pay his entire 2024 salary.

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. They'll owe some money, but it would be limited.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/17/22335050/explaining-failed-physical-designation-detroit-lions-injury-protection-benefits