2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not trading Nijman simply because I'd prefer to keep my OL as a position of strength on the team.

I'd rather let him walk next year, take a comp pick if it comes my way and use the draft to find another tackle.

Nijman has started games, he's quite the athlete and he costs relatively little against the cap.  He stays unless someone blows us out of the water with an offer.  And really, that could have happened during his RFA off-season.  So he's staying.

If someone wants to part with a 3rd or 4th I'd deal him.  You'd get the pick in this next draft, instead of maybe waiting and getting a comp. pick in the 2025 draft.  The emergence of Walker gives the Packers some flexibility.  I just don't think Nijman will be back in 2024 and it looks like we have a capable guy or two to take his spot.

14 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If someone wants to part with a 3rd or 4th I'd deal him.  You'd get the pick in this next draft, instead of maybe waiting and getting a comp. pick in the 2025 draft.  The emergence of Walker gives the Packers some flexibility.  I just don't think Nijman will be back in 2024 and it looks like we have a capable guy or two to take his spot.

I'm not sure I'd deal him for a 4'th.  3rd would be very tempting.  

I feel like I'm digging having a solid OT unit over an extra 4'th round pick.  

Maybe the whole "trade Nijman" thing is more about another OT, say like Tenuta.  If another tackle has shown enough to be capable?  Then I'm more comfortable with a trade.  And I can tell you that I have not spent any time watching Tenuta at all.

• Like 1

4th is tempting, but how often does a 4th round player immediately come in as good as 27 year old Yosh Nijman? 

our 2022 guys were Romeo Doubs and Zach Tom.  But the Packers' previous two 4th rounders are Royce Newman and J'Mon Moore.  

On the other hand, getting a 2024 4th or 5th is better than a 2025 4th or 5th as a comp pick, if we don't sign anyone ourselves.  

Andy Herman went over the benefits of ditching Nijman (even for nothing) in his pod today.  Basically, it saves you a $4M (well three if his roster replacement is ~$1M) cap hit. That’s not nothing. If you can sweeten your Gary signing bonus by $3M and all you lose is a T you were never going to play anyway?  Might be a compelling move to get anything they can for him.  So even a 7th would be attractive. 

33 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Andy Herman went over the benefits of ditching Nijman (even for nothing) in his pod today.  Basically, it saves you a $4M (well three if his roster replacement is ~$1M) cap hit. That’s not nothing. If you can sweeten your Gary signing bonus by $3M and all you lose is a T you were never going to play anyway?  Might be a compelling move to get anything they can for him.  So even a 7th would be attractive. 

Andy Herman? Too funny. What's next? You going to start quoting Matt Scheindman? You are aware Andy Herman is not an authority on the Packers? Those clowns ask questions of players like: "Are you excited about playing in front of 75 thousand people?" These dudes played in front of 100K in college. Those idiots you listen to are totally lost.

The strength of any OL is it's depth. Yosh and Rasheed are the OLs depth at tackle. You lose Yosh and the depth is no longer a strength. That is not a positive.

Injuries will happen. Saying things like: "All you lose is a tackle you were never going to play anyway" shows that you get your opinions and info from clueless morons.

Edited by freefromwhatyouare
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Andy Herman? Too funny. What's next? You going to start quoting Matt Scheindman? You are aware Andy Herman is not an authority on the Packers? Those clowns ask questions of players like: "Are you excited about playing in front of 75 thousand people?" These dudes played in front of 100K in college. Those idiots you listen to are totally lost.

The strength of any OL is it's depth. Yosh and Rasheed are the OLs depth at tackle. You lose Yosh and the depth is no longer a strength. That is not a positive.

Injuries will happen. Saying things like: "All you lose is a tackle you were never going to play anyway" shows that you get your opinions and info from clueless morons.

Not going to make too many pals around here with this posting style. 

• Like 1

Yosh is not a starter, he's not even OL 6 at this point. On a team that clearly is prioritizing development over record there is absolutely a point in which you sell off OL #7 who is a FA next year. I would say that point is being offered a 4th round pick. Anything less than that and he's worth more as depth. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yosh is not a starter, he's not even OL 6 at this point. On a team that clearly is prioritizing development over record there is absolutely a point in which you sell off OL #7 who is a FA next year. I would say that point is being offered a 4th round pick. Anything less than that and he's worth more as depth. 

No one is trading Yosh this season. If you want to get on the trade wagon wait until March.

Let's focus on 2023. 

4 minutes ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Not trading Yosh THIS SEASON. That means 2023. Got it?

Yosh is a valuable swing tackle for this team this season. It would make zero sense to trade Yosh this season.

Nijman is a FA after this year. You can't trade him in March without Franchise Tagging him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Not trading Yosh THIS SEASON. That means 2023. Got it?

Yosh is a valuable swing tackle for this team this season. It would make zero sense to trade Yosh this season.

So are Rasheed Walker and Caleb Jones. 23 and 24, not 27. If someone offers a quality pick, you run with it and let the young guys be the depth. Not to mention Zach Tom and Elgton Jenkins can play both OT spots. 

• Like 1