San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

Oof, the 3 1sts end up being a big L for Lynch/Shanny.

Problem will be the only teams that will be interested in Lance have to be almost out of contention AND have no QBOTF they're committed to.   TAM is one thought, but man....tough combo.   Guy needs so many reps given he's not even had 700 college / pro reps combined (and it shows).   In theory you can let him learn some more - but then by next offseason you have to decide on a fully guaranteed 5th-year option.   In this cap era, it's so hard to sit guys for 3 years (and I know that wasn't the original intent on SF's part, Jimmy was supposed to leave after 2021, but here we are).

Edited by Broncofan

Narrator: "There was no trade market" (at least not a real one...there may be a flip of late round picks) 

I've expected this since Darnold was signed. Kyle loves him some Sam Darnold. 

Worst trade in NFL history? 

This regime responsible for the two worst picks in 49er history and the worst trade in team history at the very least. 

Seems bad. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

The only two coaches I could see Trey Lance working out for are Shanny and Reid, so I have no clue where he could go now and actually live up to what SF expected of him.

He's probably an awful fit for Shanny. He probably needs to be with an air coryell / bruce arians system. Someone bring back Mike Martz!

Daboll would have been a good fit, I think as he has done a little of everything...but that closed with Daniel Jones. 

Arians is still in tampa and I don't think that there is any harm in them taking a shot, but I'm not sure if they run an Arians variant offense any more? 

7 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I wonder if the Broncos would have any interest in Lance.

The ONLY circumstance where I think Sean Payton would have interest in Lance would be if he thinks Lance can be his Taysom Hill - the Swiss Army Knife weapon as a runner, who happens to also be able to throw.  But as a future QB, the problem with Payton (and teams like LV with Josh McDaniels) is that they require a TON of quick recognition from their QB.    Lance's greatest draw was an ungodly set of physical tools, but he needed a TON of reps to develop those cognitive skills - and injury last year (and sitting behind JimmyG in 2021 on a SB contender) prevented that growth.  Add in that you need to commit to an expensive and FULLY guaranteed 5th year option next offseason, and it's tough to see many teams who want to pay anything for a guy who literally needs 600+ more reps to even know what you have (having only had <700 college + NFL reps, and none in Div-1).

Then you add in that most teams with total rebuilding ideas already have a guy they are committing to (TAM is the one exception I see, and you can argue if they see a rebuild as their main goal in a much weaker NFCS), gonna be interesting to see who shows interest...and at what price.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The ONLY circumstance where I think Sean Payton would have interest in Lance would be if he thinks Lance can be his Taysom Hill - the Swiss Army Knife weapon as a runner, who happens to also be able to throw.  But as a future QB, the problem with Payton (and teams like LV with Josh McDaniels) is that they require a TON of quick recognition from their QB.    Lance's greatest draw was an ungodly set of physical tools, but he needed a TON of reps to develop those cognitive skills - and injury last year (and sitting behind JimmyG in 2021 on a SB contender) prevented that growth.  Add in that you need to commit to an expensive and FULLY guaranteed 5th year option next offseason, and it's tough to see many teams who want to pay anything for a guy who literally needs 600+ more reps to even know what you have (having only had <700 college + NFL reps, and none in Div-1).

Then you add in that most teams with total rebuilding ideas already have a guy they are committing to (TAM is the one exception I see, and you can argue if they see a rebuild as their main goal in a much weaker NFCS), gonna be interesting to see who shows interest...and at what price.

He needs to play. He holds on to the ball way too long right now which is his biggest drawback in the limited time we have seen him (he's also a closer athlete to Dak than he is to guys like Kyler Murray). He's missing his NFL open throws. That's something that can definitely improve with time, but you have to have the patience to do it and I don't know that anyone will have that time for him, pragmatically thinking. 

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Kyle’s seat should be a lot hotter then it is. Massive fail from Kyle. 

3 out of the last 4 years in the conference championship. Nobody cares about a bust if they are winning. His time will come in 3-5 years if he can't replace the vets who are leaving over that time and they lack the depth from the missing picks. 

If Shanahan can avoid that too and just replace those guys he loses, he definitely shouldn't lose his job then because that is even more impressive lol. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He needs to play. He holds on to the ball way too long right now which is his biggest drawback in the limited time we have seen him (he's also a closer athlete to Dak than he is to guys like Kyler Murray). He's missing his NFL open throws. That's something that can definitely improve with time, but you have to have the patience to do it and I don't know that anyone will have that time for him, pragmatically thinking. 

Agreed.  In today's cap era, you can let a guy learn with a clipboard for 1 season.   But for a guy like Lance who's literally only had <700 college & NFL snaps, he NEEDS actually playing time experience.   But it will be rough watching.   Think of Josh Allen first 2 years....and Allen had 2x as many college snaps and against better competition.

Ppl forget Josh Allen was downright awful his first 2 years.   Brian Daboll & those reps (a LOT of credit on Daboll) were the key to his emergence, combined with his work ethic and his ungodly toolset.    Lance has the toolset, but is sushi-raw compared to Josh Allen college version.   And I'm not saying Lance is just Allen-in-waiting, just comparing that college Allen looks like a 5-year vet compared to where Lance is now.  

Tough combo for sure - TAM would be really intriguing if they embraced the rebuild - but their coaching staff being on the hot seat, and the weak division they play in, maybe not.   It's really just teams looking for gadget guy appeal, or who would let him sit (when what he needs are reps, reps, reps...and a QB developer).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nobody else to fire. It's 100% Kyle's call. 

Was the report that he initially liked Mac just not true at all then? 

Lance at this point is probably the worst draft pick in NFL history. It's remarkable that they can whiff that much and it basically not even mattering to their present too much. 

• Like 2