San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

I think it may be a theme that the younger coaches just aren't as good at the developmental side of the game, especially at QB. I don't know if it is from lack of experience or patience but we've seen it with Shanahan and McVay. They want a guy that can win outside of structure but they are also so reluctant to let any young guy have the full reigns of the offense and play out of structure. 

Taylor has had a ton of success w/ Burrow. I'm not sure what he is doing differently other than we know that Burrow is given a lot more responsibility on offense. It will be interesting to see what Lafleur does with Love this year.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Narrator: "There was no trade market" (at least not a real one...there may be a flip of late round picks) 

I've expected this since Darnold was signed. Kyle loves him some Sam Darnold. 

Worst trade in NFL history? 

This regime responsible for the two worst picks in 49er history and the worst trade in team history at the very least. 

Seems bad. 

We'll give you a ham sandwich for him. Stetson needs a young man to mentor.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

We'll give you a ham sandwich for him. Stetson needs a young man to mentor.

LOL 

Honestly, i'm hoping miami trades like a swap of 7ths for him. The only thing that makes this even funnier is Miami getting all of those picks and then ending up with Lance as well. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think it may be a theme that the younger coaches just aren't as good at the developmental side of the game, especially at QB. I don't know if it is from lack of experience or patience but we've seen it with Shanahan and McVay. They want a guy that can win outside of structure but they are also so reluctant to let any young guy have the full reigns of the offense and play out of structure. 

Taylor has had a ton of success w/ Burrow. I'm not sure what he is doing differently other than we know that Burrow is given a lot more responsibility on offense. It will be interesting to see what Lafleur does with Love this year.

It's easier said than done to mess with a good roster that can already make it to a Super Bowl with a boom/bust guy like Lance. Andy Reid did it with Mahomes, but Smith and the Chiefs had already failed for half a decade to come even close to the SB (sort of contradicted myself), and Mahomes was so much more polished than Lance.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Arizona sends a 6th 

For 

Lance + 7th

Get Lance some starting reps and see what he has.  Wosrt case is Arizona sucks and picks 1 in 2024

Stop playing the worst case scenario is Trey Lance is better than Colt McCoy and they pick 6th or something lol.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Arizona sends a 6th 

For 

Lance + 7th

Get Lance some starting reps and see what he has.  Wosrt case is Arizona sucks and picks 1 in 2024

This seems reasonable, but I think they are all in on Caleb. No reason to upset that with an unknown quantity. 

But something like this elsewhere makes sense. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

He's probably an awful fit for Shanny. He probably needs to be with an air coryell / bruce arians system. Someone bring back Mike Martz!

Daboll would have been a good fit, I think as he has done a little of everything...but that closed with Daniel Jones. 

Arians is still in tampa and I don't think that there is any harm in them taking a shot, but I'm not sure if they run an Arians variant offense any more? 

Is anyone an awful fit for Shanny? The only requirement he seems to need from a QB is a pulse (which is why I am pretty high on Darnold finally panning out for someone).