San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

Just now, agarcia34 said:

The QB Kyle passed on from Brady to Mahomes and Watson…. Sick **** man. Now it’s down to the last pick in last years NFL draft. 

His decisions have been insane. Like, listen to some of this process just from 2017: 

Didn't scout 2017 qbs when their qbs were brian hoyer and matt barkley because they were set on signing Kirk Cousins in the off season. They instead drafted CJ Beathard because he "reminded me of Kirk Cousins" per Shanny and was the only QB that Shanny wanted in that draft. Insane. 

But wait, there's more!

Midway through the season, they decided to trade a second round pick for Jimmy G. So they couldn't even hold to their QB succession plan for an entire season! And they didn't even save money because they made Jimmy G the highest paid player in history when they signed him lol.  Let's throw out that the trade actually ended up being fine and just appreciate the insanity of the logic. They were 0-8 at the time, traded their own second round pick (which would have been 33/34 at the time) for a pending unrestricted free agent in a lost season. How many times can you think of a situation where a bad team traded for a rental player? LOL. Just some insane logic from Shanahan at the position multiple times. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeotheLion said:

Was the report that he initially liked Mac just not true at all then? 

Lance at this point is probably the worst draft pick in NFL history. It's remarkable that they can whiff that much and it basically not even mattering to their present too much. 

He liked Mac and Lance which he said flat out. Both kind of insane thoughts though. 

But he has all the power in the organization. Its him. 

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

The QB Kyle passed on from Brady to Mahomes and Watson…. Sick **** man. Now it’s down to the last pick in last years NFL draft. 

I think we're good with that one in retrospect.

Think they were planning to make an offer for Watson and then ended up giving what they planned to give the Texans to the Dolphins for #3 instead after a certain thing happened (the trade happened just ten days after the story broke)

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He liked Mac and Lance which he said flat out. Both kind of insane thoughts though. 

But he has all the power in the organization. Its him. 

Another example of why coaches should coach and GM's should GM. 

Kyle is a great coach, but you have to think with better management of resources they would have won a SB under him by now. Lynch obviously takes some blame here as well, but obviously Kyle gets the brunt of it.

Hard to fault a team that has had so much success the past half decade, but lots of what-ifs there.

• Like 3

Just now, malibuspeedrace said:

Justin fields / Debo / CMC run game would be a thing of absolute beauty too.

I wanted Fields, but I think that just based on Kyle being Kyle, a marriage of him and Fields may have been really bad. I think Fields would have driven him nuts. That's not a knock on Fields as a player. But watching what Kyle is doing with Lance, I don't know how much he loves Lance from a timing perspective either. 

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Another example of why coaches should coach and GM's should GM. 

Kyle is a great coach, but you have to think with better management of resources they would have won a SB under him by now. Lynch obviously takes some blame here as well, but obviously Kyle gets the brunt of it.

Hard to fault a team that has had so much success the past half decade, but lots of what-ifs there.

I don't think saying Mac should be worth 3 1sts to move up really helps the GM out here.    No argument on the HC-should-stick-to-HC argument, but I wouldn't say Mac is this amazing pick for R1 in general, let alone 3 1sts.     Neither Lynch or Shanny look good here IMO.

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

is thier another example of a team going through a successful run, but have a roster building screw up like this? 

The closest thing I can think of is when the Pistons drafted Darko and Bosh, Wade, and Melo all went after him. They immediately won a title and then made the next 4 conference finals. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

is thier another example of a team going through a successful run, but have a roster building screw up like this? 

If you follow Hockey, the Rangers have had some brutal mess ups at the top of the draft in recent years and are consistently competitive at the very least. Haven't won a cup, but they are often a playoff team. 

Nathan Peterman starts with Buffalo - 4

Trey Lance starts with 49ers after SF used 3 firsts and a third on him - 4

Just crazy. I mean, even if you think that Lance isn't good...my lord...how bad is that from a team perspective. Some of it is totally bad luck, I get that. Purdy should be the starter if we are being honest. But damn, what awful optics. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The closest thing I can think of is when the Pistons drafted Darko and Bosh, Wade, and Melo all went after him. They immediately won a title and then made the next 4 conference finals. 

At least they didn’t pass on a QB that would’ve ensured a dynasty like Wade or Melo would’ve done for Detroit.  

I agree with Nick Wright's thesis on the subject which is that Kyle Shanahan's management of Trey Lance (i.e. giving the guy all of two games after investing 3 first-round picks and essentially telling the guy who took you to two NFC title appearances and within inches of a Super Bowl to kick rocks in favor of Lance) is complete coaching malpractice, and that part of the challenge of getting Trey Lance was going to be sticking with him, coaching around his limitations and developing him. Kyle balked at the challenge. That's an indictment on him as a coach. 

• Like 4