San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

As a Washington fan I can confirm this is accurate.  Mike Shanahan intentionally tanked the 2011 season by starting a combination of John Beck and Rex Grossman at QB for the season with the hopes of landing Andrew Luck. Unfortunately Grossman pulled 5 wins out of his butt and we ended up with the 6th pick instead of the 1st. Shanahan had pitched the idea of tanking for a QB to Snyder, and RG3 had just wont the Heisman and was this dynamic running threat so Snyder pushed hard for him. He was not however anything like what Shanahan had used or wanted at the QB position before. So with really no other option, Shanahan agreed to Snyder's demand for trading up for Griffin. It should be noted that Shanahan also selected Kirk Cousins in the 4th round of that draft, so it further proves he wasn't all in on Griffin.  All of this decision making was between Snyder and Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan at the time was only the Offensive Coordinator and would have had very little input on such things. 

It should be noted that once they got Griffin in the building they identified right away that he was incapable of running a traditional NFL offense, and Kyle came up with a pretty ingenious NFL version of the option that won Griffin ROTY.  

Great insight.

With the Johnathan Taylor trade fiasco/compensation fresh in my mind--I wonder what the 49ers would accept in a trade for Lance. What is the asking price. Are they going to play hardball like the Colts trying and get a 1st+ out of him based on his draft position despite the 49ers themselves not thinking he's better than Sam Darnold OR do they jump at the first decent offer to rid themselves of the mess and take like.....a conditional 3rd.

The other question I would love to know is who is more valuable in a trade right now. Trey Lance or DTR?

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Great insight.

With the Johnathan Taylor trade fiasco/compensation fresh in my mind--I wonder what the 49ers would accept in a trade for Lance. What is the asking price. Are they going to play hardball like the Colts trying and get a 1st+ out of him based on his draft position despite the 49ers themselves not thinking he's better than Sam Darnold OR do they jump at the first decent offer to rid themselves of the mess and take like.....a conditional 3rd.

The other question I would love to know is who is more valuable in a trade right now. Trey Lance or DTR?

Mike Silver reported earlier this year that the best offer they got for him was a fifth. So I would imagine at this point that they are good with a swap of late round picks. Lance  + 7th for a 6th. They seem to be open to the idea of keeping him on the roster as QB3 though, so that should hopefully keep them from cratering the entire value of Lance and requiring to attach a pick for him. 

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Great insight.

At the end of the day he's still a former top pick at QB with a cost controlled contract for another 2 seasons, 3 if you count the 5th year option. The best comparable is probably the Sam Darnold trade to Carolina, which was for a 6th rounder and future 2nd and 4th rounders. That trade occurred during the offseason though which allowed Darnold to learn the playbook. Josh Rosen was also traded in the offseason for a 2nd rounder and future 5th. With Lance unable to have an offseason to absorb the playbook this year which basically makes this season a wash, I think a sole 2nd round pick is a likely return for him. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Mike Silver reported earlier this year that the best offer they got for him was a fifth. So I would imagine at this point that they are good with a swap of late round picks. Lance  + 7th for a 6th. They seem to be open to the idea of keeping him on the roster as QB3 though, so that should hopefully keep them from cratering the entire value of Lance and requiring to attach a pick for him. 

That sounds way too low to me. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

That make sense. Unless he gets PO'd by being 3rd string I dont think the compensation would be worth it. Just hang onto him as insurance given the 49ers injury history at the position for 1 season. If hes worth a late pick swap this year, he will be next year too.

• Like 1

Just now, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Lance going to Minnesota actually makes some sense.  Isn't he from there?

Minnesota makes the most sense for Lance imo.  It's probably too late for him to learn anyone's playbook this season, so sitting behind Cousins is ideal. Cousins is on the last year of his deal, so let Lance sit this year then you have one year to see what Lance can do next year while he's still on his rookie contract. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If any team shouldnt take a garbage offer for a QB its the 49ers. After what happened in the NFC championship game, they should hold on to anyone that is aware of what color the playbook is

But but but, Phillip Rivers might be available when that undoubtedly occurs.

What would Trey Lance cost in terms of a trade?  

To call his career a failure already is totally premature, if he only cost a 6th or a 7th rounder he would absolutely be worth it. 

Nick Mullens was traded for a 7th rounder last year by Minnesota, so I guess it is absurd to consider Trey Lance at that value but who knows.  Baker Mayfield for a 5th rounder and he was a proven starter with four 3000+ yard passing seasons so clearly the NFL trade market is pretty crazy.  

Raiders got Jarrett Stidham, a 7th rounder and Jade Silvera DT for a 7th round pick.  Colts got Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick that turned into DeAngelo Malone....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What would Trey Lance cost in terms of a trade?  

To call his career a failure already is totally premature, if he only cost a 6th or a 7th rounder he would absolutely be worth it. 

Nick Mullens was traded for a 7th rounder last year by Minnesota, so I guess it is absurd to consider Trey Lance at that value but who knows.  Baker Mayfield for a 5th rounder and he was a proven starter with four 3000+ yard passing seasons so clearly the NFL trade market is pretty crazy.  

Raiders got Jarrett Stidham, a 7th rounder and Jade Silvera DT for a 7th round pick.  Colts got Matt Ryan for a 3rd round pick that turned into DeAngelo Malone....

I would expect a late round pick or a flip of late round picks. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

There are only a handful of elite QBs. You're going to fail finding one a lot more than you're going to succeed. If you keep stacking wins, you can keep yourself afloat for a long time as a head coach. 

Andy Reid didn't lose his job in Philly because he never won the super bowl. He lost it because in his last two years he went 8-8 (started 4-8) and then 4-12. 

If the niners fire him, Shanahan has a job the next day as a head coach if he wants it and its very likely that whomever is replacing Kyle isn't nearly as good. 

I agree that its hard to find elite QBs so Im not really knocking Kyle for that as much as the possible QBs he couldve had in that span he stuck with Jimmy G and/or went all in on Lance.

The bottom line in the NFL is winning a Superbowl. Kyle hasnt. No doubt if he gets fired he will immediately get another job. Pederson got fired and he won a Superbowl with Philly. He ended up getting the Jags job. Thats not the point Im making. And maybe its not Kyle who would get fired. Maybe its Lynch who gets fired. But the point Im trying to make is just like we have seen countless of times, someone will have to pay for this disaster when it comes to Lance if they indeed move him and they dont win a Superbowl soon. Unless the owner just turns a blind eye and act like this never happened. Which is possible. But idk how that can be if the Niners either keep failing short or take a step back you keep both Lynch and Kyle running the ship after this unless Purdy looks like a really good starting franchise type QB for the long term. 

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree that its hard to find elite QBs so Im not really knocking Kyle for that as much as the possible QBs he couldve had in that span he stuck with Jimmy G and/or went all in on Lance.

The bottom line in the NFL is winning a Superbowl. Kyle hasnt. No doubt if he gets fired he will immediately get another job. Pederson got fired and he won a Superbowl with Philly. He ended up getting the Jags job. Thats not the point Im making. And maybe its not Kyle who would get fired. Maybe its Lynch who gets fired. But the point Im trying to make is just like we have seen countless of times, someone will have to pay for this disaster when it comes to Lance if they indeed move him and they dont win a Superbowl soon. Unless the owner just turns a blind eye and act like this never happened. Which is possible. But idk how that can be if the Niners either keep failing short or take a step back you keep both Lynch and Kyle running the ship after this unless Purdy looks like a really good starting franchise type QB for the long term. 

Yes, if the niners start to suck or regress substantially, someone will pay the price. 

If they don't, nobody will care.

We will know where that stands in 3-5 years. 

• Like 1

If Im the Niners I wouldnt trade Lance. Id keep him on my team and let the dude play. Yes two things can be true. You can start Purdy bc he earned it last season. You can also have Lance as your next in line that if Purdy gets hurt or have a few bad games in a row where he looks exposed and his talents just cant overcome then you put Lance in and let him play. Give Lance at least two years maybe three to develop. 

I dont want to hear about the Niners being a Superbowl ready team and they cant afford to wait. Well they were a Superbowl ready team when they went all in to get Lance so they made that decision live with it. To use an NBA example, the Pistons were coming off an NBA title and they choose to take Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony. This isnt hindsight but Carmelo was easily the best player and pick but the Pistons tried to get too cute. Didnt work out at all. Epic failure. So now the Niners went all in on Lance knowing he is a project thats going to take time to develop on a Superbowl ready team they need to not act differently now. Lance could definitely end up a stud that even in two or three years when the Niners start losing pieces his talents can make up for some of the Niners flaws. So thats just my thoughts. Niners need to keep Lance and let him develop. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, if the niners start to suck or regress substantially, someone will pay the price. 

If they don't, nobody will care.

We will know where that stands in 3-5 years. 

Basically it comes down to really the Niners winning the Superbowl. I put two teams that have to win a Superbowl this year or next year. Thats the Jets with ARod and the Niners with Kyle. You might be right we might not know in 3-5 years but my thinking is this year and next year if the Niners fall short again or they take a step back by the 3rd year that someone will pay the price bc you have to bake in the previous seasons of falling short. Its how many times falling short will be ok in this regime?