Randy Gradishar 1 of 3 finalists for Vet Selection to HOF

Broncofan

LONG overdue for all 3 guys, but you can make an almost irrefutable argument for Gradishar.  It would be downright shocking to see any of the 3 not get 80 percent of the votes TBH.

To show how overlooked Gradishar has been - how many players who have been DPOY and made 7 pro bowls (yeah, yeah, I get it, Pro Bowl nods nowadays suck and are meaningless - but back then in the 70's they actually counted for something) - EVERY OTHER PLAYER except Gradishar is in the HOF.

I grew up as a kid cheering for the Crush with Gradishar as the leader (and Morton/Deberg as the old QB's lol), this is so great to hear, and great to see him alive and in decent health to see it come true.  If it happens, will def tune in for his speech.   Fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Even I didn’t know this trivia, but that every team that made the Super Bowl - won or loss, one time or 7 times - from 1966 to 2002, has at least one player in the HOF except for the 1977 Broncos. That wrong has been righted. 

We now have a nice compliment in the HOF - Elway, Zimmerman, Sharpe, TD, Peyton, Champ, Mr. B, DWare, Atwater, Lynch, Floyd Little, and now Randy Gradishar. 

And I’ll refrain from sharing my thoughts on Mike Shanahan being snubbed, again, because I don’t want to get banned before the real season starts. On that note, however, for those of you who aren’t local or haven’t heard, Adam Schefter had some very pointed words he shared on The Fan about Mike being snubbed. It’s worth looking up. 

• Like 2

It’s about damn time! My favorite bronco ever. 

Tackles has only been an official stat since 1979 (thanks in large part to Gradishar!) but if you look at the broncos game stats he compiled 2,049 tackles over 10 seasons. Averaging 204.9 tackles per season! A number that has only been topped in 2 other seasons! Both after they moved to 16 games. He was so dominant, on a team that was so far removed from the public eye that the media just discounted it as not possible. But he WAS that dominant. someone made those damn tackles. If it was someone else don’t you think that player would say something? He had an amazing instincts. He hit the hole before the running back. A sure tackler who never let the back thorough. Also the second member of the 20 INTs, 20 sacks, and 10 fumble recovery club (after Jack Lambert) Besides the sin of playing in Denver, Gradishar’s biggest problem was he wasn’t a head hunter like Lambert.

fully admit that i am biased but if I’m picking a defensive player to start my team with its gradishar everyday of the week and especially on Sundays!

• Like 1

Got to have dinner with him (my brother-in-law won a raffle), one of the most humble people I've ever met. Had some great stories, especially about Raiders/Broncos games. Sooooo deserving, that East-Coast bias has dissed so many members of the Orange Crush its pathetic. Gotta be thankful they didn't do this posthumous, he deserves to enjoy this while he's alive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad that most of you never got to watch him play. Without a doubt the greatest "short yardage" LB I've ever seen. It was amazing watching the guy but with Lambert, Lanier and other bigger market teams he was never really recognized.

The same happened to Louis Wright. Best shut down corner I've seen and a standout against the run. He never got the INT's but quite simply, no one would throw his direction. Another Steeler, Mel Blount got all the press but like Gradishar, Louis was the best of the bunch.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 10:08 PM, Cutler06 said:

Got to have dinner with him (my brother-in-law won a raffle), one of the most humble people I've ever met. Had some great stories, especially about Raiders/Broncos games. Sooooo deserving, that East-Coast bias has dissed so many members of the Orange Crush its pathetic. Gotta be thankful they didn't do this posthumous, he deserves to enjoy this while he's alive.

One guy that bashed Gradishar was the late Dr. Z (Paul Zimmerman) of Sports Illustrated. He seemed to be against the Broncos for some reason. He said that Randy's tackle stats were inflated. 

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

One guy that bashed Gradishar was the late Dr. Z (Paul Zimmerman) of Sports Illustrated. He seemed to be against the Broncos for some reason. He said that Randy's tackle stats were inflated. 

He did like Rich Jackson though. Called him the best DE he'd ever seen.

• Like 1