Surprising cut from the 53 man roster

squire12

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Tenuta hasn't returned after his ankle injury.  But I don't know if we need to keep 6 tackles around.  Goodson and Nichols have also been hurt for a while.  Again, I don't think either of them really warrant that type of move though.  Just waive them injured and have an injury settlement and then re-sign them to the PS later.  

Tenuta had snaps in the Seattle game, or did he get injured again?

As for my surprise cut. I honestly don't see any.

Most notable names for me would be Newman, Jean-Charles, Leavitt, Carpenter, Hollins.

If you put a gun to my head and force me to name a big name player to be surprise cut I would have to say either Bakhtiari or Preston Smith. Obviously I don't see this happening due to the dead cap hits.

Really ticks me off that all of Savage's contract is guaranteed.  

He's done nothing this camp to show that he's a decent safety.  And we have tons of corners.  It isn't like we keep him for help at slot corner.

He would be my surprise cut if there was anything financial to gain by his release.  But there isn't, so this will be another year of watching him miss running backs and basically look lost in deep coverage.

We swung on a few other safeties in FA while bargain bin shopping and I guess I feel like they couldn't do any worse than him.  Just disappointed.  

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's done nothing this camp to show that he's a decent safety.  And we have tons of corners.  It isn't like we keep him for help at slot corner.

He would be my surprise cut if there was anything financial to gain by his release.  But there isn't, so this will be another year of watching him miss running backs and basically look lost in deep coverage.

We swung on a few other safeties in FA while bargain bin shopping and I guess I feel like they couldn't do any worse than him.  Just disappointed.  

They can trade him.  That's their only recourse.  I long felt they should have traded him for literally anything just to move off his deal then use the money to keep amos or sign whoever, but he's probably better than the other current safeties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

They can trade him.  That's their only recourse.  I long felt they should have traded him for literally anything just to move off his deal then use the money to keep amos or sign whoever, but he's probably better than the other current safeties.

No one in their right mind is trading for that JAG.  Not with that contract.  I have little doubt that Savage is any better than Moore or Owens, if they had the same opportunity.

That being said?  Jerruh is still running things.  Too bad Gruden and Maylock aren't in the NFL any longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Why? There's nothing waiting to get on the field behind him. He had one series a game to impress you, and with the DL balling out its not much of a chance at all. 

In practice he showed he is what he is. A solid albeit unspectacular player.

If there was a logjam like there is at a few other spots I'd agree that he could go. But you can still do worse than that player there. He's not MD Jennings or Daniel Sorensen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd hardly call myself a Savage fan, but I think it's pretty clear he's a top 4 safety.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a nice year from Savage.  

I think we'll go without any surprising cuts, or at least any more surprising than O'Donnell.    

But I wonder if one possibility might be Hollins?  Does he have a ST role?  I know he gave us some pass-rush snaps last season, and came into camp ahead of Cox and VanNess.  But as camp has progressed, I wonder if Gute might see more upside for Cox, and go with the younger guy with more cheap, club-contolled years ahead of him?  I imagine they'll keep both of them; but if not, keeping the rookie and cutting the 5-year vet could be a rebuilding choice Gute might make?  

16 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Why? There's nothing waiting to get on the field behind him. He had one series a game to impress you, and with the DL balling out its not much of a chance at all. 

In practice he showed he is what he is. A solid albeit unspectacular player.

If there was a logjam like there is at a few other spots I'd agree that he could go. But you can still do worse than that player there. He's not MD Jennings or Daniel Sorensen.

He's worse than MD Jennings.  He did more with less talent than Savage has done.

Horrible draft pick.  Bust city.  There is really only one hope for him.....

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd hardly call myself a Savage fan, but I think it's pretty clear he's a top 4 safety.

Lol.  No.  Maybe on this roster of nobodies, but he's a crap safety for the league.

There is really only one way he can get better......

15 hours ago, craig said:

I'm looking for a nice year from Savage.  

I think we'll go without any surprising cuts, or at least any more surprising than O'Donnell.    

But I wonder if one possibility might be Hollins?  Does he have a ST role?  I know he gave us some pass-rush snaps last season, and came into camp ahead of Cox and VanNess.  But as camp has progressed, I wonder if Gute might see more upside for Cox, and go with the younger guy with more cheap, club-contolled years ahead of him?  I imagine they'll keep both of them; but if not, keeping the rookie and cutting the 5-year vet could be a rebuilding choice Gute might make?  

You can look for that year and poop into your hand.  I'll tell you which one you will find.

Savage sucks.  Outside of 4-5 games, he's been sub par his entire career.  He's done nothing to earn his spot on the defense.  He got it due to draft status and our inability to spend any draft capital on the position lately.  

Even our 7'th rounder looks to have more safety talent in him than Savage has..... 

...more to come.