Packers 2023 Practice Squad

Packerraymond

On 8/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, Uffdaswede said:

You would think that guaranteed means the original contractor is on the hook—else, what’s the point?

If the guarantee transfers to the next team it’s a poison pill…

and that just don’t seem right, Pa.

Players have guaranteed money in their base salary all the time. If nobody had picked this kid up, the Vikings would have owed him 100K. Somebody did and if it was contract bonus money, the acquiring team pays. It's simple really. 

The kid was going to make more than 100K with us anyway so it's really a non-starter. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Players have guaranteed money in their base salary all the time. If nobody had picked this kid up, the Vikings would have owed him 100K. Somebody did and if it was contract bonus money, the acquiring team pays. It's simple really. 

The kid was going to make more than 100K with us anyway so it's really a non-starter. 

All right, it’s making more sense. But he didn’t have a contract traded. I don’t see how the guaranteed portion of his contract would follow him to a team that didn’t trade for him and didn’t write the original contract.

Still, if the Packers keep him it’s a placebo and not a poison pill.

edit: In the unlikely case of a rookie receiving a million dollar contract offer and then being dumped before the season, must a team picking the player up off of waivers honor the original contract? Perhaps that is an aspect of acquiring players through waivers that I hadn’t understood.

Edited by Uffdaswede

47 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

All right, it’s making more sense. But he didn’t have a contract traded. I don’t see how the guaranteed portion of his contract would follow him to a team that didn’t trade for him and didn’t write the original contract.

Still, if the Packers keep him it’s a placebo and not a poison pill.

edit: In the unlikely case of a rookie receiving a million dollar contract offer and then being dumped before the season, must a team picking the player up off of waivers honor the original contract? Perhaps that is an aspect of acquiring players through waivers that I hadn’t understood.

Yes, the waiver claim means the team wants the player at their current contract. If the contract is a problem you just have to hope nobody claims them and then try to sign them as a free agent.

• Like 1

For curiousity, was Sims $110 in signing bonus or in guaranteed contract?  

1. Obviously it doesn't make any difference to the Packers, because two weeks on the roster will reach that anyway.  
  2. I'd assume signing bonus versus guaranteed-contract dictates whether it carries over to the pickup team?  If just a signing bonus, then it's Vikings? 
  3. Not sure what I'd prefer were I Sims' agent making the original deal.  *IF* its signing bonus AND he makes a team, then he gets paid both.   But if guaranteed contract encourages the original team to put him on the roster, I'd think making an NFL roster is in UDFA's better interest.  
  4. For the signing team, guaranteed contract makes better sense.  *IF* he doesn't make the roster, and sombody else snags him, then they take the bill?  I'd also assume that in the more common landscape where nobody claims him on waivers, then when the guy is in PS world, he'd be more likely to stick with signing team rather than signing to somebody else's PS.   

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

You guys get deep deep into who gives a **** money huh?? 

Hey…I learned something. And I’m always suspicious when it comes to the Vikings.

But, yeah, guaranteeing 100k in the NFL is like guaranteeing the new bag boy he’ll earn at least $20 on his first four hour shift. Until I finally figured out that waived players AND their contracts are picked up, it was puzzling me how the Vikes skated on the bait they used to lure Sims from us in the first place. 

• Like 4

Glad to have big DL Ford back to PS, Empey got cut.  Think Ford still has a shot to play in the league as a situational big-guy in run-stop packages.  

Curious what the story was with Carpenter ending up with Pittsburgh.  We didn't offer PS spot?  Or we did, but he preferred Pittsburgh for whatever reason?  Maybe they offered him a little more?  Some personal reasons, maybe some personal connection or just closer to home?  Or maybe they communicated some vision of a way to use him on the field, whereas he realized he was never going to play at safety for us, and didn't see a way to ever grow into the LB role for us?  

If we were only going to get one of the two back, personally I'm glad it was Ford.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, craig said:

Glad to have big DL Ford back to PS, Empey got cut.  Think Ford still has a shot to play in the league as a situational big-guy in run-stop packages.  

Curious what the story was with Carpenter ending up with Pittsburgh.  We didn't offer PS spot?  Or we did, but he preferred Pittsburgh for whatever reason?  Maybe they offered him a little more?  Some personal reasons, maybe some personal connection or just closer to home?  Or maybe they communicated some vision of a way to use him on the field, whereas he realized he was never going to play at safety for us, and didn't see a way to ever grow into the LB role for us?  

If we were only going to get one of the two back, personally I'm glad it was Ford.  

Tariq was not happy moving to LBer. There's a locker room interview, and IDK the dude maybe that's his attitude, but he openly seemed irritated that he had to make the switch and like said I don't know what I'm doing I've never done this and ****. 

I'm guessing that's what it is?

Edited by Norm

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

Tariq was not happy moving to LBer. There's a locker room interview, and IDK the dude maybe that's his attitude, but he openly seemed irritated that he had to make the switch and like said I don't know what I'm doing I've never done this and ****. 

He must not be able to play S worth a hoot if they decided to move him to LB.  Our safety room is about as bad as it gets.  I'd say safety in round one in 2024.  I'm guessing it's not a going to be a huge loss. 

I trust the Packers that he doesn't have the speed and flexibility to play safety.  I'd think a guy would be eager to try something where he might be successful.  Weird.  Yeah, I still wonder whether he chose Steelers because he didn't like what Packers were doing with him?  Or if the Packers didn't even PS-offer, because his attitude wasn't great?  Or because his aptitude at S and LB wasn't promising.  

One of the things MLF mentioned several time in pressers was how much the guys on the roster liked to play football.  I think he's really enjoyed a bunch of enthusiastic, aggressive young guys eager to learn, eager to hustle, eager to come to the facilities and get after it.  I could imagine that if you've got a really positive, upbeat, let's-work-let's-learn crowd, maybe you don't really want to offer even a PS spot to a negative guy, if his talent isn't really that irreplaceable.  

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Perhaps we should have tried to bring him back in a scouting role because he absolutely nailed this eval.

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm said:

He definitely wasn’t hiding his disappointment with the position change. Tweener body type probably not suited for safety but great for ST. At least they didn’t try to make the conversion with a high round pick like Josh Jones. Maybe he goes to the Steelers and sees how Fitzpatrick makes it work as a hybrid. Probably just fizzles out. 

• Like 2