2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

i suspect minnesota will be aiming higher than us to go get their QB but man...there's a dream scenario where they want mccarthy at 7 and we get 11 and 23 in return. fashanu or mims at 11, then things get really fun at 23....we could go WR, CB, DT, EDGE....because we'll be turning around and picking at 38 anyway. a guy can dream

16 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Do people really think McCarthy is going top 10. Idk man, I just don't get it or see it. It feels like smoke just being drummed up behind the scenes to scheme.

i watched mitch trubisky go 2 overall knowing full well at the time the dude was a career backup type player after watching him in ACC play for years. i can no longer muster up the surprise when nfl teams overrate the hell out of these dudes.

it is pretty nutty though. like, will levis was clearly a better prospect to me and i didn't even love him.

• Like 1

I personally don't think there's any way Minny trades with us. It's been speculated it's 2 or 3 they're looking to move up to, but even if not, Chargers at 5 I think is still the way more likely destination.

Also, in a vacuum perhaps McCarthy is not necessarily a top 10 pick, though I think a lot of people are still sleeping on him, but in the perfect storm he definitely is. I'd even say there's probably a pretty good chance he goes ahead of us.

Yeah, I don't see how the Vikings aren't aiming higher than us. If we want a trade down with them, we have to hope the teams picking 3-6 are locked in on who they want and won't trade down. 

#11 and #23 is a lot for #7 as well. We'd not only need 3-6 to be locked in, but a bidding war to start for #7 for us to get those 2 picks without giving something else back as well.

I said from September JJ would go top half of the draft and since the season was over that he was in competition for the top ten. People who don't watch him week in and week out don't get the full skill set. His biggest knock was his slight build(besides the lack of volume in the passing game due to the offense) and he was able to add significant weight prior to the combine. He is literally the same size a Burrow when burro was drafted right down to the smallish hands. He is about to turn 21 and is a great in the room presence by every single account. 

No of that means he is going to be great(I think he will be the best or 2nd best personally), but as someone said above Trubisky went 2 and so did Zach Wilson. GM's know they have to have a QB and have to take swings. 

i'm fully on the ricky pearsall train at this point. wouldn't even mind taking him in the 2nd. he has a near-identical athletic profile and playing style to calvin ridley (and in fact tested better than ridley) and would be an excellent WR3 to start out while having the potential to replace ridley in his role as he ages.

(i feel similarly about keon coleman and deandre hopkins tbh- similar testing and play style, and we'll need to replace hopkins much sooner- but it's also a much riskier comp. i feel very confident about pearsall being a successful nfl player at some level, whereas coleman feels boom-or-bust)

Edited by -Hope-

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i'm fully on the ricky pearsall train at this point. wouldn't even mind taking him in the 2nd. he has a near-identical athletic profile and playing style to calvin ridley (and in fact tested better than ridley) and would be an excellent WR3 to start out while having the potential to replace ridley in his role as he ages.

(i feel similarly about keon coleman and deandre hopkins tbh- similar testing and play style, and we'll need to replace hopkins much sooner- but it's also a much riskier comp. i feel very confident about pearsall being a successful nfl player at some level, whereas coleman feels boom-or-bust)

This is how I feel about Xavier Legette. I was anti him prior to the Ridley signing (probably because of some similarities to Burks and him being thrust into WR2 role early on seems disastrous) but him as the 3rd WR who can potentially replace Hopkins in a year or two is an ideal situation imo.

Where I wish we had an 3rd rounder. 
Should be some good Corners on the board there.

I think WR has been pushed down to almost 4th or 5th round if we pick one. Hopkins, Ridley and Burks. Regardless of anyone's opinion on Burks that's an 1st round pick and a lot of investment in that position money and pick wise. 

I don't see us going WR in the 1st two rounds. 

• Like 1

Just now, KingTitan said:

Where I wish we had an 3rd rounder. 
Should be some good Corners on the board there.

I think WR has been pushed down to almost 4th or 5th round if we pick one. Hopkins, Ridley and Burks. Regardless of anyone's opinion on Burks that's an 1st round pick and a lot of investment in that position money and pick wise. 

I don't see us going WR in the 1st two rounds. 

100%.  This is such a good class for our needs that it really hurts not to have that third.

I think it really just depends on who's there for who we take at 38.  I really think if we don't go WR at 38, we pretty much have to at 106.  The class is so good, so deep, and we're looking at a 32 and 29 year old as our top two receivers.  Take a young guy now.

And every time I do one of the mock simulators, the best player available at 38 is almost always a receiver.  But in real life, someone like Johnny Newton, or Kool-Aid McKinstry, or whoever, could fall.  Or the run on receivers could start just a little early.

But honestly, for me, it's hard to see very many guys at positions of need falling to the degree that they make sense to take over receiver.  Especially at CB.  Titans are doing a lot of work on late Day 2/early Day 3 receivers.

I think it'd be a very good idea to trade down at some point and get more picks, so that could be the plan at 38, since it looks more and more like Alt will fall into our laps at 7.

• Like 1