2024 Draft

Ftn49

32 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I actually really like Kool Aid but where's the obvious roster spot and role? We absolutely need Farrell, Givens, Feliciano and Jennings replacements at the bare minimum and it would be nice to add a McCloud replacement and another OL upgrade and a real dude at DE to take on a chunk of Chase Young duties, too. instead of just a Farrell replacement. Even with Drake Jackson, we need quality bodies in that rotation and we don't have them.

At corner, it would be tremendous to knock Ambry Thomas to first outside backup and keep Charvarius, a rookie, Lenoir, Thomas, and Womack/Luter. But I legit think they like Womack/Luter/Thomas enough to stand pat. Those guys are cheap and you've already invested the assets.

I think that they are more likely to go receiver than corner in the first round, and I don't think that's at all likely. I think it's DL all the way.

Yea, I just don't see the need @CB.

You have Thomas, Lenoir & Mooney who will all be your penciled-in starters heading into next season.

You have young guys with high upside in Luter & Womack waiting in the wings.

We're more than likely going to add a vet CB with experience at some point during the off-season/free agency.

I just don't see the need to invest a premium pick at the position right now, considering the needs elsewhere.

Both interior lines and maybe WR have to be the focus early imo.

• Like 1

I think this will be a very OL/DL heavy draft for us. Maybe replenish depth at the offensive skill positions.

There are a lot of young defensive players who have a shot at bigger roles next season - Beal, Graham, Winters, Luter, Womack, Brown for example. 

On offense we really only have Mason & Bell with potential. Maybe Willis

This is assuming we're already out on guys like Cameron Latu, Danny Gray & Drake Jackson

So maybe something like 2 picks on OL, 3 picks on DL, & depth picks at QB, RB, TE & WR, thats 9 picks total, seems reasonable 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 8:05 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

and maybe it's just because I'm a fan of that old school noseguard type who's role is just to be a mountain as a 0 tech or 1 tech. 

Same!

Feel like we have missed a guy to play that role up front, could really help clog those gaps and sure up the run defense

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I think this will be a very OL/DL heavy draft for us. Maybe replenish depth at the offensive skill positions.

There are a lot of young defensive players who have a shot at bigger roles next season - Beal, Graham, Winters, Luter, Womack, Brown for example. 

On offense we really only have Mason & Bell with potential. Maybe Willis

This is assuming we're already out on guys like Cameron Latu, Danny Gray & Drake Jackson

So maybe something like 2 picks on OL, 3 picks on DL, & depth picks at QB, RB, TE & WR, thats 9 picks total, seems reasonable 

I unironically want the staff to draft a running back later on via some outside zone metrics wizardry. Even a relatively premium 3rd round pick (if he makes it there) on Marshawn Lloyd wouldn't annoy me too much. Mitchell just can't be counted on to be available and it's clear that the staff considers the rest of the guys to be unreliable/not versatile/barely rosterable depending on the guy.

• Like 2

Yeah, Kollmann with the Malik Washington love! Isaac Guerendo at RB is an interesting bring up by him. Never heard of the guy, but if you say a 210 lb RB has high 4.3 speed, ripped off a ton of explosive runs per carry, and is a converted wide receiver, you certainly are going to pique my interest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JIllg said:

I actually really like Kool Aid but where's the obvious roster spot and role? We absolutely need Farrell, Givens, Feliciano and Jennings replacements at the bare minimum and it would be nice to add a McCloud replacement and another OL upgrade and a real dude at DE to take on a chunk of Chase Young duties, too. instead of just a Farrell replacement. Even with Drake Jackson, we need quality bodies in that rotation and we don't have them.

At corner, it would be tremendous to knock Ambry Thomas to first outside backup and keep Charvarius, a rookie, Lenoir, Thomas, and Womack/Luter. But I legit think they like Womack/Luter/Thomas enough to stand pat. Those guys are cheap and you've already invested the assets.

I think that they are more likely to go receiver than corner in the first round, and I don't think that's at all likely. I think it's DL all the way.

Yeah, I get why CB is a popular pick, I just don't think it's nearly as desperate as the situation at defensive or offensive line. 

I like Kool Aid as well and I think that's one of the reasons that Trevor and Conor make this type of selection - that they have guys like Kool Aid and Wiggins well above guys like Jordan Morgan (haven't seen either's big board, so I'm just sort of guessing based on some of their pods). I think Conor likes Morgan more than Trevor. 

But truthfully, drafting a corner in late first and relying on him to start at cb2 on a super bowl team is a really, really tough ask. It's just a hard position to transition to. I'm not even joking that I would rather sign a guy like Adoree Jackson for near the league minimum and go that route. Let me try Murphy-Bunting, etc. It doesn't always work (see Oliver), but a lot of competent corners just kind of fall through the cracks like that (Rock Ya Sin was a perfectly capable CB this year, for example). 

Nixon would be awesome to sign given that he's an excellent return man, though I think that the fact that he was a major contributor this year on the Packer's defense likely pushes him out of our price range given the limited cap space we have. 

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

I unironically want the staff to draft a running back later on via some outside zone metrics wizardry. Even a relatively premium 3rd round pick (if he makes it there) on Marshawn Lloyd wouldn't annoy me too much. Mitchell just can't be counted on to be available and it's clear that the staff considers the rest of the guys to be unreliable/not versatile/barely rosterable depending on the guy.

I've been making sure to put running back in my mocks with pretty decent regularity. 

Obviously I had previously mentioned Ali as a late round explosive option, and Lloyd seems like a guy to grab in that round three range if we decide to go that high with the position. I know that a lot of people were in on Davis but that's a thick boy lol. 5'8, 220 is more dense than Frank Gore lol 

I'm curious about Dylan Laube.  I don't know too much about him because he played at New Hampshire, but some of the reviews have been promising, especially in pass game work,  so I want to see if I can find some stuff. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've been making sure to put running back in my mocks with pretty decent regularity. 

Obviously I had previously mentioned Ali as a late round explosive option, and Lloyd seems like a guy to grab in that round three range if we decide to go that high with the position. I know that a lot of people were in on Davis but that's a thick boy lol. 5'8, 220 is more dense than Frank Gore lol 

I'm curious about Dylan Laube.  I don't know too much about him because he played at New Hampshire, but some of the reviews have been promising, especially in pass game work,  so I want to see if I can find some stuff. 

Laube was an incredibly prolific receiver in college. I just haven't watched the tape to know if he isn't just a Danny Woodhead or James White, though. I think in 2024 teams are wiser than ever to respond to those types with an additional db in no fear of their running prowess.

• Like 1

I don't have any trust in the CBs not named Ward and Lenoir. That will and can only come down to what they're showing week to week for the coaches. 

So on a blinded fan basis, this is why I'd be good with a CB as an early pick. 

Of course for me, early rd OL x2 is a pound the table desire. 

We'll have to see what happens with our DC. I'm not convinced yet that upgrading edge rushers will matter, if we are just allowing easy coverage underneath all day. 

a good TE 2+3 falls in line with the CB philosophy. Only the coaches can judge what they are seeing of the backups week to week. 

We should be good with our top WRs of 11, 19, and 15 as the top 3 next season. Not at all sold on the rest.

I'm good with McCaf and Cajun and Mason. Add in a later rd guy to push. 

Time to find another day 3 gem QB? Need another S in case HUF recovers poorly?

• Like 1

Curious when do we have to consider paying Lenoir? I can possibly see us grabbing one in the first 3 rounds. I just don’t see us going first since we have needs at Oline or Dline. 

Don’t we have to consider extending Ward as well 😅

Probably get an extension for WARD after this next season. 

Lenoir, likely in the coming months, maybe.

Unless they plan to go cheap in the secondary, considering all the cost at DL and LB. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Curious when do we have to consider paying Lenoir? I can possibly see us grabbing one in the first 3 rounds. I just don’t see us going first since we have needs at Oline or Dline. 

Don’t we have to consider extending Ward as well 😅

I agree with @oldman9er that we are likely to get a ward extension this off season. 

Lenoir falls into that camp where I don't think that he's good enough to hold himself out for a new contract already, so I think he'll play on this deal. The niners will address that mid 2024 or before the 2025 off season in my opinion (if they address it at all) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I don't have any trust in the CBs not named Ward and Lenoir. That will and can only come down to what they're showing week to week for the coaches. 

So on a blinded fan basis, this is why I'd be good with a CB as an early pick. 

Of course for me, early rd OL x2 is a pound the table desire. 

We'll have to see what happens with our DC. I'm not convinced yet that upgrading edge rushers will matter, if we are just allowing easy coverage underneath all day. 

a good TE 2+3 falls in line with the CB philosophy. Only the coaches can judge what they are seeing of the backups week to week. 

We should be good with our top WRs of 11, 19, and 15 as the top 3 next season. Not at all sold on the rest.

I'm good with McCaf and Cajun and Mason. Add in a later rd guy to push. 

Time to find another day 3 gem QB? Need another S in case HUF recovers poorly?

I do generally take a CB at some point in the middle rounds, same with Safety. I'm not sure what do with the safety group. Hufanga needs a new deal as well, but at some point we just can't pay everyone. I do also just like grabbing another meh vet to fill in some snaps. 

I haven't taken too many TEs in my mocks...generally just depends on how the board falls when I do them. 

I'm a big fan of Jordan Travis for a qb...he's older than I prefer, but with NIL and covid super seniors, I feel like I need to be a little more lenient on the age thing. 

• Like 1

The team is very high on Luter and I think it is likely he is CB3 next season or he at least competes with Thomas. Unlikely the team takes a CB in the first two rounds. 

OL/DL with three of our first four picks. 

• Like 1