GDT Week 14 - GB @ CLE. Brett Hundo vs Kizer So-So

skibrett15

Just now, incognito_man said:

we aren't keeping cobb, jordy and a new contract Adams in 2018. So you have to pick at least one to lose.

I'm not sure that's the case.  Both Nelson and Cobb are FA at the end of the next year according to Spotrac.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I suspect this way more to do with not having bad contracts on the books before.

What is the worst pay for play we've had recently? Didn't we cut Hawk when he was awful value?

Yea there was something with Hawk - I don't recall exactly but it was an extension so not exactly cutting ties. Sitton's situation is probably the closest but don't know exactly what the reasons were. Also can't think off the top of my head names of guys who could have been cut but weren't. The Packers are loyal and still don't think they make any high profile cuts. Fans also make the mistake of thinking players are more than happy to take paycuts. If anything, we've seen them leave to flame out and die rather than stay for less money

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

We're the Browns. We would have probably still found a way to lose. It's what we do. B|

I like the Dorsey addition at GM .. hopefully he does good things for you guys.  He's got the eye for talent, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve that roster a lot this offseason.  I know the Browns record is horrid the past few years, but they don't seem like they are light years away from winning.  

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure that's the case.  Both Nelson and Cobb are FA at the end of the next year according to Spotrac.

We aren't spending $35million on those 3 in cap hit next year. Our FO isn't that dumb.

Cobb is an easy cut. He's collected $30 of his $13 million guaranteed. He's not unhappy. He'll find a team easily in FA. No one is going to view that GB mistreated him somehow, or didn't live up to the spirit of the contract. And we save $9.5 million on the cap (and real money) when he's released.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Yea there was something with Hawk - I don't recall exactly but it was an extension so not exactly cutting ties. Sitton's situation is probably the closest but don't know exactly what the reasons were. Also can't think off the top of my head names of guys who could have been cut but weren't. The Packers are loyal and still don't think they make any high profile cuts. Fans also make the mistake of thinking players are more than happy to take paycuts. If anything, we've seen them leave to flame out and die rather than stay for less money

i haven't seen anyone here advocate for a paycut.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

We aren't spending $35million on those 3 in cap hit next year. Our FO isn't that dumb.

Cobb is an easy cut. He's collected $30 of his $13 million guaranteed. He's not unhappy. He'll find a team easily in FA. No one is going to view that GB mistreated him somehow, or didn't live up to the spirit of the contract. And we save $9.5 million on the cap (and real money) when he's released.

I would cut him loose, but I don't think it's a sure thing.  I get the idea he is very juiced in with the right people .. Rodgers, McCarthy, and Thompson.  Thompson will make the tough decisions on occasion, but I bet they end up keeping Cobb, and probably Nelson as well.  They will re-sign Adams though .. no way he gets away.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It's not like we've got a TON of free agents that need to be re-signed.  Outside of Adams, our biggest FA decision is probably Morgan Burnett and probably depends on what kind of contract he's demanding.  If it exceeds 3 years, $24M I think he's gone.  But if he's willing to sign that kind of deal I think he's probably back in Green Bay for another contract.  I think the Packers like Josh Jones quite a bit.  Behind those two, Davon House is probably next in terms of pecking order but I don't think his next contract is going to be much more than what he made this year.  2 years, $8M or so seems about right.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Eh Calais Campbell has 12.5. I agree in not cutting Clay, but there are always vet pass rushers (like Clay) that come available and do good things for their new team.

Calais Campbell I'll give you, but how many people expected the season he's having?  The dude never had double digit sacks in his career and now he's got 12.5.  Campbells don't happen every year, and probably not every five years. 

Still, he's the type I'm looking at this coming year.  28-31 year old veterans who fans of his team say is washed up. 

Only reason I'd be happy Matthews gets cut is the fact that he'd have 20 sacks for some team like the Patriots. 

It just bothers me a lot.  "Hyde sucks!"  "We should have re-signed Hyde!"  "Casey!  Sucks!"  "We should have re-signed Casey!"  "Matthews sucks!" 

Just now, CWood21 said:

It's not like we've got a TON of free agents that need to be re-signed.  Outside of Adams, our biggest FA decision is probably Morgan Burnett and probably depends on what kind of contract he's demanding.  If it exceeds 3 years, $24M I think he's gone.  But if he's willing to sign that kind of deal I think he's probably back in Green Bay for another contract.  I think the Packers like Josh Jones quite a bit.  Behind those two, Davon House is probably next in terms of pecking order but I don't think his next contract is going to be much more than what he made this year.  2 years, $8M or so seems about right.

none of this matters. It's terrible roster management to have 3 WRs making that much. NO TEAM has done that EVER. And GB isn't going to be the first to do that.

I know I keep Adams around instead of Cobb, "loyalty" or not. Cobb collected already.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Calais Campbell I'll give you, but how many people expected the season he's having?  The dude never had double digit sacks in his career and now he's got 12.5.  Campbells don't happen every year, and probably not every five years. 

Still, he's the type I'm looking at this coming year.  28-31 year old veterans who fans of his team say is washed up. 

Only reason I'd be happy Matthews gets cut is the fact that he'd have 20 sacks for some team like the Patriots. 

It just bothers me a lot.  "Hyde sucks!"  "We should have re-signed Hyde!"  "Casey!  Sucks!"  "We should have re-signed Casey!"  "Matthews sucks!" 

I hear ya ... it's Capers defense that sucks.  We've watched some of these guys move on to post better numbers with other clubs.  Throw Peppers in there too .. he's wearing down, but he's got 9.5 sacks this year.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hear ya ... it's Capers defense that sucks.  We've watched some of these guys move on to post better numbers with other clubs.  Throw Peppers in there too .. he's wearing down, but he's got 9.5 sacks this year.

Peppers had 10.5 with Capers though.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

none of this matters. It's terrible roster management to have 3 WRs making that much. NO TEAM has done that EVER. And GB isn't going to be the first to do that.

I know I keep Adams around instead of Cobb, "loyalty" or not. Cobb collected already.

This is what a lot of GB fans seem reluctant to accept.  Having 3 separate 10M/YR receivers on a roster is a terrible use of cap space, especially when 2 of the three are not playing at anythiung near a 10M/YR level.  Adams is getting paid by GB next season, and at least one of Nelson/Cobb are not.  For myself, parting ways with Cobb would be a pretty easy decision.

Archived