GDT Week 14 - GB @ CLE. Brett Hundo vs Kizer So-So

skibrett15

Just now, squire12 said:

There were a few PI calls that GB benefited from ....some they got while on offense and some that were not called when GB was on D.  

@Packerraymond  The PI/illegal contact that Adams was given, I would say he did not do much to earn that call either.  

He got grabbed on a double move. Am I the only one who thinks that's fairly obvious? He was running a sluggo and ended up running an out because he was re-routed at the point on the double move. You can do that at the LOS (like Randall) not 10 yards down field. Easy call.

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

none of this matters. It's terrible roster management to have 3 WRs making that much. NO TEAM has done that EVER. And GB isn't going to be the first to do that.

I know I keep Adams around instead of Cobb, "loyalty" or not. Cobb collected already.

I'm not arguing whether or not it's good roster management.  Unless you think the Packers are going to be big spenders in FA, they have to spend the money somewhere.  Right now, the Packers have $34M in cap space according to Spotrac.  Slot $7M for roll over and $3M for draft picks, and you're closer to $24M.  Using the numbers I used earlier, you're committing $10M/year to Adams, $8M to Burnett, and $4M to House.  That's still $2M leftover.  But you also have to believe that those contracts probably aren't evenly distributed. Have to figure that Adams' contract gets structured similarly to Cobb's, and that his cap hit Y1 probably isn't more than $6M.  Let's say $5M for simplicity's sake.  Probably not going to too heavily backload Burnett's contract, but figure they can save an extra million or two.  Let's say $6M for simplicity's sake.  And Davon House probably has a pretty flat contract, unless they structure it similar to Lance Kendricks.  But we will call it $4M.  The Packers just opened another $7M in effective cap space, which would put them at $9M.

Last offseason, only 15 players got a contract with an AAV of over $9M.  Of those 15, six were either OT or QBs something that the Packers likely aren't in the market for this offseason.  That's still more than enough for them to make one splash signing, but they could go with a couple of smaller signings instead.  The only way they "need" to release Cobb is if they're planning on being significantly more aggressive than they have in recent years.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He got grabbed on a double move. Am I the only one who thinks that's fairly obvious? He was running a sluggo and ended up running an out because he was re-routed at the point on the double move. You can do that at the LOS (like Randall) not 10 yards down field. Easy call.

Gordon was being mugged for (what I thought) was well past the 5 yard limit.  GB fans would be begging for a flag there.  I thought that Adams did not really fight through the contact on his route and it was a weak call.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not arguing whether or not it's good roster management.  Unless you think the Packers are going to be big spenders in FA, they have to spend the money somewhere.  Right now, the Packers have $34M in cap space according to Spotrac.  Slot $7M for roll over and $3M for draft picks, and you're closer to $24M.  Using the numbers I used earlier, you're committing $10M/year to Adams, $8M to Burnett, and $4M to House.  That's still $2M leftover.  But you also have to believe that those contracts probably aren't evenly distributed. Have to figure that Adams' contract gets structured similarly to Cobb's, and that his cap hit Y1 probably isn't more than $6M.  Let's say $5M for simplicity's sake.  Probably not going to too heavily backload Burnett's contract, but figure they can save an extra million or two.  Let's say $6M for simplicity's sake.  And Davon House probably has a pretty flat contract, unless they structure it similar to Lance Kendricks.  But we will call it $4M.  The Packers just opened another $7M in effective cap space, which would put them at $9M.

Last offseason, only 15 players got a contract with an AAV of over $9M.  Of those 15, six were either OT or QBs something that the Packers likely aren't in the market for this offseason.  That's still more than enough for them to make one splash signing, but they could go with a couple of smaller signings instead.  The only way they "need" to release Cobb is if they're planning on being significantly more aggressive than they have in recent years.

None of this matters. There are a million ways to construct a roster. I just know that we're not going to have Cobb and Jordy on their current contracts and Davante Adams in 2018 because that is an example of very, very poor roster construction and our FO is better at their jobs than that.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Gordon was being mugged for (what I thought) was well past the 5 yard limit.  GB fans would be begging for a flag there.  I thought that Adams did not really fight through the contact on his route and it was a weak call.  

Like I said, lots of Packer fans cry foul when we get hosed by the refs. But when it's the other way around they turn a blind eye. 

How in the world can anyone say that was PI on the Adams play?? LOL

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

None of this matters. There are a million ways to construct a roster. I just know that we're not going to have Cobb and Jordy on their current contracts and Davante Adams in 2018 because that is an example of very, very poor roster construction and our FO is better at their jobs than that.

Again, nobody is arguing that it's not the best use of our resources.  But like I said, unless you believe the Packers are going to be more proactive in FA than they're going to have to spend their money elsewhere.  They're not going to just release Cobb or Nelson simply because they don't want the image of paying 3 WRs $10M+.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Again, nobody is arguing that it's not the best use of our resources.  But like I said, unless you believe the Packers are going to be more proactive in FA than they're going to have to spend their money elsewhere.  They're not going to just release Cobb or Nelson simply because they don't want the image of paying 3 WRs $10M+.

I can't figure out what the hang-up is here for you. It's not an image thing. They'll release/restructure Cobb if they sign Adams because they're not going to pay 3 WRs that much money.

3 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Like I said, lots of Packer fans cry foul when we get hosed by the refs. But when it's the other way around they turn a blind eye. 

It wasn't pass interference. It was illegal contact. A text book case in a matter of fact. Look at the rules. Interpret it ANY other way. You can't. 

Just now, wgbeethree said:

It wasn't pass interference. It was illegal contact. A text book case in a matter of fact. Look at the rules. Interpret it ANY other way. You can't. 

Yup. You're right, my bad. Point still stands. Instead of punting it gave us an automatic 1st down.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I can't figure out what the hang-up is here for you. It's not an image thing. They'll release/restructure Cobb if they sign Adams because they're not going to pay 3 WRs that much money.

So...in other words, they're going to release a player simply because they feel it's bad PR...good to know.

6 minutes ago, Slinky said:

what is the overarching point you are trying to make?

Did you excuse Dom Capers or MM or TT or anyone else when calls didn't go our way? Are YOU consistent? Or do you just expect it from others?

Archived