GDT Week 14 - GB @ CLE. Brett Hundo vs Kizer So-So

skibrett15

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We're going to have 33 million dollars in cap space.  You cut Cobb that's 42 million in cap space.  You cut Matthews that's 53 million in cap space.

Has Ted Thompson ever spent 33 million in one offseason? 

We're fine.  People need to stop worrying about cap space.  We have it. 

We need it to sign the NFL equivalent of that Japanese babe Ruth guy

38 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We're going to have 33 million dollars in cap space.  You cut Cobb that's 42 million in cap space.  You cut Matthews that's 53 million in cap space.

Has Ted Thompson ever spent 33 million in one offseason? 

We're fine.  People need to stop worrying about cap space.  We have it. 

he spent $110 million on one guy in one offseason.

Nobody is worried about cap space that I'm aware of. It's just about intelligent roster construction. Nobody can tell me Cobb is anything but awful value next year.

Just now, incognito_man said:

he spent $110 million on one guy in one offseason.

Nobody is worried about cap space that I'm aware of. It's just about intelligent roster construction. Nobody can tell me Cobb is anything but awful value next year.

I have never argued that Cobb is good value.  EVER. 

Cobb is literally more valuable on our team than off our team.  He's not nearly worth his contract, but he's still better than anything we have after him and he's still better than 80% of receivers we could get in the offseason for the same amount we'd pay him. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I have never argued that Cobb is good value.  EVER. 

Cobb is literally more valuable on our team than off our team.  He's not nearly worth his contract, but he's still better than anything we have after him and he's still better than 80% of receivers we could get in the offseason for the same amount we'd pay him. 

who cares, even if that is true. He's not better than 80% of the whatever else you can get for that money next year. That's the only thing that matters.

Just now, incognito_man said:

who cares, even if that is true. He's not better than 80% of the whatever else you can get for that money next year. That's the only thing that matters.

At WR?  I beg to differ.  As far as talent probably definitely not, but you consider Aaron's anal retentive behavior when it comes to trusting a receiver and you're getting more out of Cobb next year than any other receiver at that price. 

And don't respond like a dingleberry.  Has Thompson ever spent 33 million of cap space in one offseason for that year? 

Do you foresee Thompson spending 33 million of cap space in this coming offseason for this coming year? 

If you have to worm your way through that answer, or if you say no to either question, what's the point in cutting Cobb/Matthews/Nelson?

You really want to see the Mark Murphy and Ted Thompson get bonuses that bad for not spending an extra 10-20-30 million dollars?

It's pointless.  Cutting any player is pointless if you're doing it for cap space because we have more cap space than we'll ever use next year. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

At WR?  I beg to differ.  As far as talent probably definitely not, but you consider Aaron's anal retentive behavior when it comes to trusting a receiver and you're getting more out of Cobb next year than any other receiver at that price. 

And don't respond like a dingleberry.  Has Thompson ever spent 33 million of cap space in one offseason for that year? 

Do you foresee Thompson spending 33 million of cap space in this coming offseason for this coming year? 

If you have to worm your way through that answer, or if you say no to either question, what's the point in cutting Cobb/Matthews/Nelson?

You really want to see the Mark Murphy and Ted Thompson get bonuses that bad for not spending an extra 10-20-30 million dollars?

It's pointless.  Cutting any player is pointless if you're doing it for cap space because we have more cap space than we'll ever use next year. 

Thompson has spent all but about 10m of our cap EVERY year since rollovers were allowed.

That tells me if we had 15m to spend, he'd spend 5, if we had 22, he'd spend 12, if we had 43, he'd spend 33, if he had 100, he'd spend 90.

Why are you arguing that he won't spend money? You think it comes to him as a Christmas bonus? Has Thompson ever had 43m in cap space? Maybe that's why he hasn't spent 33m in one off-season. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Thompson has spent all but about 10m of our cap EVERY year since rollovers were allowed.

That tells me if we had 15m to spend, he'd spend 5, if we had 22, he'd spend 12, if we had 43, he'd spend 33, if he had 100, he'd spend 90.

Why are you arguing that he won't spend money? You think it comes to him as a Christmas bonus? Has Thompson ever had 43m in cap space? Maybe that's why he hasn't spent 33m in one off-season. 

Mhmm, and how many years has he cut players to generate more money to spend?

Since rollovers were allowed, how many times has he spent 23 million? 

Who we gonna spend 23 million dollars on? 

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

the whole point is that he won't spend it on ANY WR. I don't care that it's Cobb. It's bad value, and terrible roster construction if we sign Adams. We aren't going to have that much on the books in WRs. That's literally the entire point. Cobb or Dobb or Bob, I don't care. Not going to keep $35million on the books in WRs.

And like Ray said, yes, it would be EASY to spend $33 million next offseason, and if TT had it, he would obviously spend it. Literally all of it could go to Rodgers and it makes sense. Or it couldn't and it would make sense too. But it doesn't make sense to keep Cobb, and it makes WAYYYY less sense to do it if we sign Adams.

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Mhmm, and how many years has he cut players to generate more money to spend?

Since rollovers were allowed, how many times has he spent 23 million? 

Who we gonna spend 23 million dollars on? 

We can all agree that Adams is going to get extended.

From there pick and choose, do you want Burnett, House, Linsley back?

Do you want to go get a top TE like Graham.

Do you want to sign a group of second tier defensive guys like House, RJF, Brooks, Dial?

Do you want to try and make a big splash in FA on D?

Do you want to extend Aaron and eat a big chunk of the bonus up front?

All very possible. The least likely scenario to me is keeping 3 WRs making 10+ million.

I agree that paying 3 WR each 10+ Million per year is not good management of salary cap funds.   

I would also say that I think Russ Ball is possibly smarter than most of us when it comes to the salary cap and allocating of the funds available.  Maybe the idea of playing 3 WR 10+ Million for the 2018 season is not that outlandish when the RB group is making all Rookie level deals, the CB group would have only 1 (Maybe 2) on 2nd contracts, ILB are on rookie deals, the DL group is rookie deals except for Daniels.  

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree that paying 3 WR each 10+ Million per year is not good management of salary cap funds.   

I would also say that I think Russ Ball is possibly smarter than most of us when it comes to the salary cap and allocating of the funds available.  Maybe the idea of playing 3 WR 10+ Million for the 2018 season is not that outlandish when the RB group is making all Rookie level deals, the CB group would have only 1 (Maybe 2) on 2nd contracts, ILB are on rookie deals, the DL group is rookie deals except for Daniels.  

and then i say: so maybe it makes sense to pay a vet CB and DL this offseason ;)

Lord knows those groups need more help than WR while we have Rodgers anyway!

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

and then i say: so maybe it makes sense to pay a vet CB and DL this offseason ;)

Lord knows those groups need more help than WR while we have Rodgers anyway!

I wont argue with that.  Just seems that GB has always seemed to have a good grasp of where the $$ is going and I do not think the 2018 WR contracts would catch them by surprise if there were 3 WR making 10+.

Time will tell, hopefully after a nice surprising playoff run!!!

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I wont argue with that.  Just seems that GB has always seemed to have a good grasp of where the $$ is going and I do not think the 2018 WR contracts would catch them by surprise if there were 3 WR making 10+.

Time will tell, hopefully after a nice surprising playoff run!!!

keeping all 3 wouldn't badly hurt or cripple the team, but man - that is BAADD value at that price point. You're not getting Bruce/Holt/Hakim or Harrison/Wayne/Stokely anymore out of those 3.

That would be the worst group of highly paid WRs ever assembled. ew.

I'd be disappointed if we rolled all 3 of them out there next year at the expense of more needy position groups.

Just watched the all 22s here are my thoughts.

Positives:

+ Damarious Randall

The big knock on him has always been he wasn't physical enough, although the refs were letting stuff slide out there, he was super physical with Josh Gordon. Neither of his big catches were on Damarious, and he played an excellent game. 

+Jamal Williams

O-Line didn't give him much but he fights for extra yardage and has surprisingly good vision especially when the O-Line could not generate any push.

+Davante Adams

Don't need to expand. He was open a lot more then he got the ball though.

Negatives:

-Jake Ryan

Missed tackles, overall pretty horrible in zones, he can run some but he doesn't seem to have the zone markers down and bites on play action like crazy

---Corey Linsley

CLE's nose ate his lunch all game. He was getting blown back in the run game constantly. 

_ Josh Jones

He simply doesn't have the feel to play in the deep half. Plays decently in the run game but am not at all comfortable with him playing in the deep half. Over pursuing routes constantly. Should get better with more experience, and decent in the run game fills.

_Clay Mathews

Sorry @HorizontoZenith

Not a good game by Clay. Dom started him as the WLB in a 4-3 alignment but quickly had to change him out for Fackrell. He simply cannot run like he used to. Offered almost nothing as a pass rusher except for one play. Granted it was an important one. 

Stray Thoughts:

Too bad Spriggs flinched on that offsides call because Trevor Davis was matched up on a safety and had him beat deep.

The tales of Jordy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He was open. A lot. Hundley has a habit of sticking to the half of the field where his first read is, and/or Davante Adams.

Our secondary is a mess.

Overall a pretty horrible game by our guys, but hey, they found a way to win. On to Godgers. 

Archived