GDT Week 14 - GB @ CLE. Brett Hundo vs Kizer So-So

skibrett15

1 hour ago, gizmo2012 said:

What exactly is the "circumstances of this season". Sure the team lost Rodgers but the guy replacing him has ben groomed for 3 years, so there should have been better expectations.  If no changes are made then all us fans have to look forward to is more of the same and, sorry, that just doesn't cut ut any more. I look at the defense and think jesus they will have to draft another CB in the 1st or 2nd round again because they still have not hit on what the team needs. I see a front 7 on defense and an OL that is perhaps barely mediocre. Is it personnel or scheme, or both. My opinion is Capers is a stale coach and Thompson is a stale GM and both have to go. I remain believing Mike McCarthy is a very good head coach. Not hopeless but not working either. 

It isn't just losing AR.  Here is the list of other players on IR:  Bryan Bulaga, Kevin King, Ty Montgomery, Kyle Murphy, Quinton Rollins and Herb Waters.  There are numerous other players who have been in and out of the lineup at various times this year.  The O line tackle position has been in flux and again CB has been ravaged and now we are stuck with guys who belong on a PS who will be asked to start.  With all of our challenges this year for this team to gut out three wins without AR is a testament to MM and his staff to keep the team together and fighting.  

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea Gordon posted this after Randall said he had one catch against him:

I don't think Gordon is any position to be too boastful.  If this "kid" he is dissing couldn't hold his jock strap on his worse day how come he couldn't score in the 4th quarter after his team got a 2 TD lead going into the 4th quarter?

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

I don't think Gordon is any position to be too boastful.  If this "kid" he is dissing couldn't hold his jock strap on his worse day how come he couldn't score in the 4th quarter after his team got a 2 TD lead going into the 4th quarter?

Damarious fired back with .... 

Damarious Randall Retweeted Flash Gordon

?? You must be on that **** again

21 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I suspect this way more to do with not having bad contracts on the books before.

What is the worst pay for play we've had recently? Didn't we cut Hawk when he was awful value?

Aside from the others mentioned earlier... Tramon was slightly overpaid at the tail end of his deal.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not arguing whether or not it's good roster management.  Unless you think the Packers are going to be big spenders in FA, they have to spend the money somewhere.  Right now, the Packers have $34M in cap space according to Spotrac.  Slot $7M for roll over and $3M for draft picks, and you're closer to $24M.  Using the numbers I used earlier, you're committing $10M/year to Adams, $8M to Burnett, and $4M to House.  That's still $2M leftover.  But you also have to believe that those contracts probably aren't evenly distributed. Have to figure that Adams' contract gets structured similarly to Cobb's, and that his cap hit Y1 probably isn't more than $6M.  Let's say $5M for simplicity's sake.  Probably not going to too heavily backload Burnett's contract, but figure they can save an extra million or two.  Let's say $6M for simplicity's sake.  And Davon House probably has a pretty flat contract, unless they structure it similar to Lance Kendricks.  But we will call it $4M.  The Packers just opened another $7M in effective cap space, which would put them at $9M.

Last offseason, only 15 players got a contract with an AAV of over $9M.  Of those 15, six were either OT or QBs something that the Packers likely aren't in the market for this offseason.  That's still more than enough for them to make one splash signing, but they could go with a couple of smaller signings instead.  The only way they "need" to release Cobb is if they're planning on being significantly more aggressive than they have in recent years.

You could cut cobb and sign a different receiver for less money who is better than Cobb.  Then you can do whatever the heck you want to with that money, up to and including giving that money to players who might be FAs in 2019.  Or you can just pay Burnett.  Burnett is a much better player than Cobb, even though he's older.  Pay Burnett 7M for 1 year, and pay a WR like Kendall Wright 9.5 M.  There's so many way to skin this cat.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As I've showed with my numbers, the Packers can re-sign all of their key FA and still have some cap space left over.  Hell, they can even dig into their "second tier" FA and re-sign some of them with some change left over.  The only thing that keeping Randall Cobb under contract prevents them from doing is being active in FA.  Now...if you believe that the Packers' activity in FA last year wasn't a fluke and that they're going to continue to be active in FA, then a Cobb release has to happen in order to do so.  If you believe he's going to revert to previous years, Cobb likely is still under contract for another year.  It's not nearly as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Yeah, why the heck not?  Why wouldn't you look to improve the team by pulling the Cobb lever?  It gives you the most options heading into the season to improve the team.  It allows you to sign Davon House as 2nd outside CB, it allows you to sign a FA DL who is actually a contributor and takes snaps from Dial and/or Lowry.  You could sign a top flight RT if you don't think Bulaga is in the future plans for the team.  You could sign a long term replacement for our RG who is 34.  You could pay up for Corey Linsley and front-load the deal giving yourself future cap room down the line.

Cobb is an awful contract, an average player, and has an easy out!  Don't overthink it.

54 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I never meant King was a waste which I thought you implied. It is almost a completely wasted year for King. Just fact.

No. 

Ialways was questioning the comment that his 'season' was a waste. The entire time. But it's pointless to keep bumping old posts

Also, not a fact. It's clearly an opinion. You dudes need to learn what facts are...

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Has TT ever not spent it?

Not even sure I have a side here but has he ever had anywhere near the kind of dough if Cobb is cut? Plus maybe others? I feel like he's never had anything near this without a ton of guys who cost a lot who need to come back or whatnot 

Just now, incognito_man said:

Has TT ever not spent it?

We're going to have 33 million dollars in cap space.  You cut Cobb that's 42 million in cap space.  You cut Matthews that's 53 million in cap space.

Has Ted Thompson ever spent 33 million in one offseason? 

We're fine.  People need to stop worrying about cap space.  We have it. 

3 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Man it would have been nice to get AJ Bouye

I thought that contract was hilarious and he was a fluke. Whoops. He had flat out impressed me one game last year when I watched him close, but still

Archived