Week 1: Eagles vs Pats: Let's Get This Season Started

AZ_Eaglesfan

17 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

If Howie didn't learn a thing with the 2020 LB corps he never will. 

He wants to stumble upon low cost talent, let it go and repeat. Which works like once every five years or so. 

I'm curious as to what exactly you would have allocated resources different.  Do you not pay Slay or Bradberry to pay TJ Edwards? Do you loose both Hargrave and Cox? Do you cut Graham? The Eagles couldn't keep everyone and for the most part rightly choose not to pay off ball LB's and RB's.  

The bigger issue Sunday was the lack of adjustment made by Desai once the Pats started dumping everything under the hook zones and didn't adjust coverages or adjust for the loss of Dean.  

Both coordinators really struggled yesterday.

5 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I'm curious as to what exactly you would have allocated resources different.  Do you not pay Slay or Bradberry to pay TJ Edwards? Do you loose both Hargrave and Cox? Do you cut Graham? The Eagles couldn't keep everyone and for the most part rightly choose not to pay off ball LB's and RB's.  

The bigger issue Sunday was the lack of adjustment made by Desai once the Pats started dumping everything under the hook zones and didn't adjust coverages or adjust for the loss of Dean.  

I wouldn't have brought Cox back, I was okay with letting one of our CBs go, I most definitely wouldn't prioritize rotational players over starters in other positions. Yes, that would have weaken the DL at some point, we wouldn't have it as a strength every year (Because the DL will always need resources), but in the not distant future would allow you to build on all levels and then add to it, someone with such a strong job security as Howie should be able to pull it off. I may be wrong but that's how the Steelers, Ravens and Cowboys do. The 49ers seem to do that as well but their neglect at CB is head scratching, but I digress. 

And yes you are very right about this game, but this isn't about just this game, it's a story that keeps repeating itself with our team every year. We have too many blind spots in team building. 

The LB's definitely weren't good yesterday, but just pointing at them and saying this was this issue with our coverage isn't fair or accurate. Our CB's were playing too soft as well. You have to give the pass rushers a bit more time get home which means we need to get up on guys more and stop dropping into 10 yard zones every snap. This was obviously expected as it is very similar to what we ran with Gannon, but it is still frustrating at times.

The worst player on defense imo was Evans, not any of the LB's. I am sure the Patriots did a good job of targeting him, but he looked lost numerous times in coverage. Would love to see Brown get some snaps at Safety sooner rather than later if that is how Evans is going to play.

I will say our run defense for the most part looked very solid yesterday which is a nice change of pace from last season when it felt like any team could just gash us at will. Cunningham looked serviceable. Pretty much what you would expect from him. Dean made some nice plays and some bad ones. Ellis can definitely move, but is probably going to make a lot of mistakes. Saw him over pursue players a couple times.

Just gotta wait and see if the D can gel going forward. Overall this wasn't a terrible performance from the unit, but they will definitely need to improve going forward. Hopefully Desai can get it figured out.

5 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

I’m sure Howie could’ve figured out a way to move money and pay Edwards $6.5M/year without cutting those guys, but honestly? Yes I’d have chosen Edwards over Cox or Graham. 

Agree though that coordinators were the bigger issue yesterday.

6 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

That was the biggest story to me yesterday was poor playcalling and scheming from Johnson / Sirianni…  Some bizarre and sloppy play design & the lack of RPOs was surprising.

Desai and the defense did a great job manufacturing two huge turnovers to get us points but their receivers were WIDE OPEN for huge gains wayyyy too often. 

I think missing nakobe is gonna hurt more than people realize. After the snap he might struggle right now, but he’s good with presnap reads and is good at putting teammates in the correct spot prior to the snap. That’s something I think nakobe has that Ellis doesn’t.

I love fletcher Cox and I still think he’s a good player, but he’s taking snaps away from Carter and I wonder if that’s not necessarily a good thing. I think Carter and Davis should get the most reps at DT and then cox should get the next amount of reps but I don’t think the team will do that because of the respect the team has for cox.

18 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

I love fletcher Cox and I still think he’s a good player, but he’s taking snaps away from Carter and I wonder if that’s not necessarily a good thing. I think Carter and Davis should get the most reps at DT and then cox should get the next amount of reps but I don’t think the team will do that because of the respect the team has for cox.

He's not taking snaps away from Carter. Carter doesn't have the motor to play more, at least at this time. Besides, the snap count was well managed all things considered. The DLine should have been really gassed by the 4th given how inept the offense was. 

15 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

He's not taking snaps away from Carter. Carter doesn't have the motor to play more, at least at this time. Besides, the snap count was well managed all things considered. The DLine should have been really gassed by the 4th given how inept the offense was. 

Well I don’t know if I’d say Carter can’t handle more than that. Cox played 50 snaps and Carter played 40 snaps. Carter’s second last snap he had a crazy spin move that he combined with a ton of power. That’s not exactly something that is seen by DTs very often, especially late in the 4th.

That being said, I’m not gonna argue against the depth. The depth is what makes the DL so strong in my opinion, keeps guys fresh. I do think Carter can handle a little more though and with cox’s age maybe it’d benefit him to have a little less. Ojomo probably takes some reps too once he’s back but not a whole lot. He’s probably DT 4 or 5 at this point

Edited by Jays3