Week 1: Eagles vs Pats: Let's Get This Season Started

AZ_Eaglesfan

Lots of reasons we could start slow. I will take a slow start that is a win over a loss though.

Coaching needs to adapt. Two new coordinators so they get chances to grow but the offensive play calling was terrible in the first half. The defense for the most part played good enough, but we can't allow teams to just get the ball out in 2 seconds every play. Our pass rush was close to getting home so many times, but the coverage was so soft they had no chance.

LB's are going to be a liability and Evans had a really rough game. Reed looked great though and should be a stable part of our D going forward.

• Like 1

That was really ugly. I’m definitely concerned with our new coordinators and Hurts (hoping just rust, we’ll know soon enough). Run game in general, which is what made us feel so dominant in 2022, was shameful. However, you have to cherish every W in this league especially week 1 on the road. D made plays when it needed, Jake hit clutch FG after clutch FG. Carter might be a star by the end of the year. If we can win playing like that… then plenty of reason for optimism, because we have the talent to play A LOT better. 

• Like 2

Also, that Pats team isn't a bad team. They aren't a great one either, but they fought hard in this game. Their defense in particular is very talented. We should have beaten them much more soundly, but they kept it close because they executed well.

Lots of room to grow. Hopefully we can take some steps forward by Thursday Night.

49 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That was really ugly. I’m definitely concerned with our new coordinators and Hurts (hoping just rust, we’ll know soon enough). Run game in general, which is what made us feel so dominant in 2022, was shameful. However, you have to cherish every W in this league especially week 1 on the road. D made plays when it needed, Jake hit clutch FG after clutch FG. Carter might be a star by the end of the year. If we can win playing like that… then plenty of reason for optimism, because we have the talent to play A LOT better. 

There is going to be some regression from Hurts.  New coordinator+play caller not to mention the efficiency last season.  They will be fine, but this was definitely the worst game Hurts has played in 2 years.

Rough to watch. We certainly didn’t deserve the win. But again, good teams find ways to win when the game goes against them. I’ll chalk this up to no pre season practice with coordinators that are brand new going against the best that’s ever done it. We’re probably getting a pissed off Vikings on a short week but I fully expect us to look better. If we don’t, this season may be a little tougher than expected. 

Some solid stuff to be positive about today but also some concerning stuff too. It’s early, it’s a long season. We need time to iron stuff out. Week one was really weird. As usual. I’ll take the win with some trepidation.