Week 14 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Houston Texans

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yeah, most are pretty convinced Colbert is pretty good and should be starting in the secondary somewhere next season. The only thing I want to see before I anoint him the starter is a forced turnover or two. It's the only thing we should be getting from that position that we're not. He does that, I'm 100% sold. As of now, I'm still a solid believer in his play. 

He did force a fumble today. Had a very good shot at an INT as well but he couldn't hang on. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

You think Bowman regrets jumping ship?

Why would he? Raiders could still make the playoffs. They have much better talent currently. AND he's starting and playing significant minutes...I think he got excatly what he wanted. And he gets to choose where he wants to play next year as well so he could land in a even better situation in 2018.

Mind you, he saw a lot of Clowney until the Texans got smart and moved him to the other side so he could feast on Beadles. 

Staley may not be the elite LT he was for a three or four year stretch from 2011-2014, but he is still pretty damn good. He's still closer to being a top 7-10 LT in the game than just barely above average. Not only is he still good in pass protection, but he's clearly our best run defender as well. In terms of just pass protecting, Staley and Brown have to be a top 3 duo in the league. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Dontae Johnson was bad. But for some reason I have sympathy for him and not Zane Beadles struggles. I felt like Johnson was going to start shedding tears once he got that penalty and threw his fist in the air in frustration. There was nothing he could do against Hopkins. 

He got destroyed on damn near every single pass attempt. He was over matched and knew there was nothing he could do. 

I know we all want Nelson and it would suck to miss him by winning another game or two, but I look at it this way: As currently presented, this is about an 8-8 ball club that will still draft much earlier than we actually should. We will likely draft in the 5-9 range, while a 8-8 type of team usually drafts around 15-16. And the nice stretch to end the season could attract a free agent or two that wouldn't have thought of coming here had we finished the season 1-15 or 2-14. Granted, money is the most important thing to free agents, but there are plenty of other teams with a lot of cap space themselves.

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know we all want Nelson and it would suck to miss him by winning another game or two, but I look at it this way: As currently presented, this is about an 8-8 ball club that will still draft much earlier than we actually should. We will likely draft in the 5-9 range, while a 8-8 type of team usually drafts around 15-16. And the nice stretch to end the season could attract a free agent or two that wouldn't have thought of coming here had we finished the season 1-15 or 2-14. Granted, money is the most important thing to free agents, but there are plenty of other teams with a lot of cap space themselves.

I completely agree, and I don't foresee us losing enough ground in the draft to miss out on Nelson. For me, it's a win-win. If Garoppolo can do all this while missing important players, having Zane Beadles as his RT, and with only 40 days' worth of immersion in the complicated Shanahan playbook, and if Garoppolo is clearly an improvement over Hoyer, then there are zero reasons for me to think that he wouldn't have won those 5 games lost by 3 points or less had he been here all year. Ignoring that we'd be more competitive in those other games as well, that would still currently seat us at 7-6. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say Garoppolo could have won 4 of the 10 games we lost, anyway. At least not based on what he's already shown.

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think that we will miss him. I think he's actually the "consolation" price. I think he's a legit top 3 talent in this draft, but the fact that he plays guard I'm beginning to think will push him down. I think so long as we pick ahead of Cincinnati, we should be fine in getting him. If we pick at 7, I think Nelson is still there (if we want him).  The biggest question I have is wehther or not Shanny and Lynch will consider it as dire a need as we do. 

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that we will miss him. I think he's actually the "consolation" price. I think he's a legit top 3 talent in this draft, but the fact that he plays guard I'm beginning to think will push him down. I think so long as we pick ahead of Cincinnati, we should be fine in getting him. If we pick at 7, I think Nelson is still there (if we want him).  The biggest question I have is wehther or not Shanny and Lynch will consider it as dire a need as we do. 

Oh not saying we will miss him for sure, just saying IF we do miss him by winning another game or two. I do agree as long as we are in the 5-7 range, we should be fine. But I can't see the Bengals passing on him. Their run game is terrible in big part due to their guard play. So we have to finish ahead of them in the draft to get Nelson. But I don't think that should be too much of a problem. They already have five wins, while it will be hard for us to get two more considering we're facing three current playoff teams to end the season. I mean it is possible, especially if the Rams don't have anything to play for in week 17, but Bengals may get one more themselves before seasons end. 

Archived