Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

3 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I get that the OL sucks, especially the IOL.  That is why I said what I said....  Fields can do a lot to help his OL... He should do those things and do it quick and take off....  He can take off every play if they rush hard all the time...  But it's not what we want.

Fields is completing passes, this is good.  Now, he just needs to complete passes when they rush hard and when the OL fails to protect.  Great QB does this a lot.  This helps slow down the pass rush and let the D know that they suck... and dare the D to rush hard again and get beat again....   This is what I am saying.

Yes you are right we must scheme when necessary in order to overcome IOL deficiencies and Fields can certainly do more to help out move around roll out etc 

...my issue is with the arrogance of coaching staff not making ANY adjustments, staying in 11 the whole game few if any 12. Their evaluation of their own guys, sticking w Cody Lucas and Davis straight up, running predictable play after predictable play. GB guys were perfectly comfortable all game and always in great position.

Coaching, Oline play, and then JF are to blame in that order imo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Don't be that guy.

Fields does not have elite processing efficiency which is what a qb must have to overcome that kind of rapid collapse and pressure every snap. Not many QBs would've fared better in our 11 scheme on sunday behind this IOL, vs that GB front. 

Fields played similar to how Josh Allen did against the Jets. Under pressure, fleeing the pocket, running for his life. I could argue both QB's have comparable talent around them. We can blame the play calling or QB, but until the offensive line wins their battles against the opposing defensive lines we wont have a fair evaluation

Fields

WK OPP RESULT COMP ATT YDS AVG TD INT SCK SCKY RATE ATT YDS AVG TD FUM LOST
1 Packers L 20 - 38 24 37 216 5.8 1 1 4 27 78.2 9 59 6.6 0 1 1

Allen

WK OPP RESULT COMP ATT YDS AVG TD INT SCK SCKY RATE ATT YDS AVG TD FUM LOST
1 @Jets L 16 - 22 29 41 236 5.8 1 3 5 19 62.6 6 36 6 0 2 1
  • Like 1

If the speculation about Flus/Getsy making Fields gun shy due to their coaching is true then I don’t want them around anymore. Playing not to lose is just a pathetic way to play sports, especially football. We’ve seen that enough with this team. If it’s Justin just being gun shy for whatever reason that’s also very frustrating because he has the arm talent to rip it downfield with accuracy. He needs to just do it even if they’re preaching ball security to the max. 

• Like 1

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/one-uncomfortable-revelation-from-justin-fields-game-vs-packers/

(paraphrasing since copy/paste isn't working on  the article)

NFL next gen stats has Fields charted with a 4th longest time to throw at 3.12 seconds (Career), and an aggressiveness percentage of 9.1 (lowest in the NFL)

vs the packers he had an nfl 7th longest time to throw at 2.95 seconds and an aggressiveness rating of 2.7%

36 total pressures on Fields, but only 25 of those caused by blocking..... A full 11 of which caused by Fields himself

This is why I'm saying Bagent can do better (especially in the kind of offense we ran vs Greenbay).... The kid uses great footwork, throws with anticipation, and gets the damn ball out fast. 2.95seconds is enough time for an NFL level QB to throw the damn ball.... it was more time than all but 6 other QBs had this week. It's not enough time for Fields, and he's missing all of his throwing windows because of it... and then gunshy about taking shots at "NFL open" targets unless they're running wide.

EDIT: It's also why I was upset about his throwing motion in training camp clips. Adding even more time to an already slow processor, and tendency to double clutch vs just throwing the damn ball all compounds together.

Edited by Epyon

26 minutes ago, Epyon said:

This guy summed it up exactly why I posted this thread.  This tells me that Justin Fields is not confident with ripping it because he is afraid of the interception.

Fields needs to wake up.  You can't win if you play scared!

Edited by JibjeResearch
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

This guy summed it up exactly why I posted this thread.  This tells me that Justin Fields is not confident with ripping it because he is afraid of the interception.

Fields needs to wake up.  You can't win if you play scared!

That video was a lot more than just Fields not seeing it and throwing it. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

That video was a lot more than just Fields not seeing it and throwing it. 

Yeah, there was plenty of Fields hate there, and some stray bullets at kmet, Claypool, the offensive line, and nate Davis (who I'm not counting as an offensive linemen yet)... But the most telling thing from the video to me is that Luke Getsy is even more over his head than Nagy was... And honestly shouldn't even last to the bye week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Yeah, there was plenty of Fields hate there, and some stray bullets at kmet, Claypool, the offensive line, and nate Davis (who I'm not counting as an offensive linemen yet)... But the most telling thing from the video to me is that Luke Getsy is even more over his head than Nagy was... And honestly shouldn't even last to the bye week. 

I think Fields and the team/players are capable of correcting most of the issues mentioned on that video.  It comes down to how smart Fields is during the game.  For an example, allow the motion to go on and see if the defense changes, don't look to run, throw it during the hard rush, look away to move the defender(s) and come back to the intended WR, and ...so on....  Fields need to learn how to play chess/strategy with the defense, be the field General.  Great QB does it all the time, they are unpredictable, their target is spontaneous, they know how to set up the defense to fake them out of position...

I hope Fields is reading this thread, there are many solutions to his issues mentioned on here..... in addition to his coaches.

• Like 1

18-23 for 193 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT (a ball thrown really late over the middle into double coverage), with 12 rushes, many by design. That’s Jalen Hurts’ line from last night. 117 of those yards came on 2 passes to Smith too, meaning the other 16 completions netted just 76 yards. Checkdown City. Is anyone going to be killing Hurts for a whole week for that showing? Is anyone going to do a play-by-play breakdown of Every. Single. Pass. Drop. and commenting onto where he definitely should’ve done something differently? Of course not. Now attach that exact performance to Fields this coming Sunday. How differently is that performance handled?

I know their track records are different. That’s not the point. My point is that expectations for other guys are that they will have plays and games where things aren’t perfect or even good, and that’s okay. Why can’t we apply the same filters here? Give me a 35-pass All 22 breakdown of any QB in the NFL. I’ll bet you $500 I can find reps in every single one of them where they came off a guy too early before they got really open, made the 2nd best decision in their progression, held a ball longer than they should have and/or threw unnecessarily into a right window. Nobody is ever going to hold up under that kind of scrutiny. PHI talk radio isn’t going to spend the next 10 days after Hurts’ underwhelming performances yesterday and in week 1 doing this though: “Is Hurts bad?” “It’s year 4… that can’t happen! Why isn’t Jalen seeing the things he should be seeing?” “Should the Eagles be considering a look at Mariota if this play doesn’t improve?”. That’s an us thing, and nothing good has or ever will come from it.

Everyone talks about how progression, especially with QBs, isn’t linear. So why are we so quick to go berserk about it when it’s not linear? We spent 8 months talking endlessly about how Fields looks too much for the big play and needs to take more of the gimmes, then in game 1 he takes too many of the gimmes and isn’t aggressive enough, but we don’t want to allow aaaaaaaaany time for finding the balance between the two? That’s irrational. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

so far through his career he hasn’t progressed as a passer. 

Also, this is a completely false statement. If you want to say he hasnt progressed enough for your liking, thats completely different. But you can not objectively put on tape from him at Ohio St and then Now and pretend he hasnt progressed. 

Im sure you or someone else will say "you know what we mean" but no, thats not how it works. Use your words correctly.

• Like 1