Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I mean I want my QB in the building ASAP if I am a coach.  It only makes sense.

For Poles/Bears more people that solve their QB position the more the interest in Fields drops.

If you are trading him, which I think they are, it benefits everyone to get it done ASAP.

My guess is a deal is made for Fields at combine.  

The coaches aren't allowed to have much contact with the players at this time of year. The players can meet with trainers and conditioning folks if they are rehabbing or when OTA starts. But Williams or Fields won't get on field coaching until minicamp. 

10 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The coaches aren't allowed to have much contact with the players at this time of year. The players can meet with trainers and conditioning folks if they are rehabbing or when OTA starts. But Williams or Fields won't get on field coaching until minicamp. 

Poles is taking best offer for Fields that he gets this week in all the informal meetings is my take.

Not getting it done before FA on March 13 would be a mistake.  Value starts dropping in all likelihood after that.  

I know nothing.  That is way wind is blowing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

https://x.com/udontknowri/status/1762647811470852247?s=46&t=SQdrLo9OvA4uiIQWb73aCg

Lot of smoke around the Falcons over the past few hours as the potential landing spot for Fields…

Fields + #9

for

#8 + their 2nd & 4th round picks

I think that is pretty fair value all round if it is the case.

Almost sounds like he says “Ready to go hooooome,” at the end there.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

https://x.com/udontknowri/status/1762647811470852247?s=46&t=SQdrLo9OvA4uiIQWb73aCg

Lot of smoke around the Falcons over the past few hours as the potential landing spot for Fields…

Fields + #9

for

#8 + their 2nd & 4th round picks

I think that is pretty fair value all round if it is the case.

I think it’s a bit rich - if we get their 2 and move up in R1 I don’t think we get the latter pick. Strictly by the trade value chart, the difference between pick 8 and 9 itself is about the value of a mid 4th.

• Like 1

A deal with ATL has the possibility to have unusual immediate gains because of the pick they got from JAX for Ridley, which converts from a 3 to a 2 if JAX re-signs Ridley.

Say we don’t get ATL’s own 2 but instead get both their current 3s (74 and 79) plus a future conditional pick. The two 3s on their own value on the chart as 415 points, equal to about pick 48, BUT if pick 79 turns into a 2 with a Ridley re-sign, that value kicks up to 640 points, equal to pick 29.

Gun to my head, I think I’d rather have the two 3s than just the 2 if presented with both options because of that uniqueness. Even if Ridley signs elsewhere, having picks 74, 75 and 79 in R3 lets us get into R2 easily if we want to anyway, and if not that’s a great place to add volume high quality prospects at several of our need positions. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

A deal with ATL has the possibility to have unusual immediate gains because of the pick they got from JAX for Ridley, which converts from a 3 to a 2 if JAX re-signs Ridley.

Say we don’t get ATL’s own 2 but instead get both their current 3s (74 and 79) plus a future conditional pick. The two 3s on their own value on the chart as 415 points, equal to about pick 48, BUT if pick 79 turns into a 2 with a Ridley re-sign, that value kicks up to 640 points, equal to pick 29.

Gun to my head, I think I’d rather have the two 3s than just the 2 if presented with both options because of that uniqueness. Even if Ridley signs elsewhere, having picks 74, 75 and 79 in R3 lets us get into R2 easily if we want to anyway, and if not that’s a great place to add volume high quality prospects at several of our need positions. 

Think it depends on Poles’ strategy at 9. If you’re moving off that pick, you’re likely getting enough mid-rounders to build depth. If not, it makes sense to get extra picks from a Fields trade.

7 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Think it depends on Poles’ strategy at 9. If you’re moving off that pick, you’re likely getting enough mid-rounders to build depth. If not, it makes sense to get extra picks from a Fields trade.

I don’t think you can have too much depth, but I agree that a lot rides on the plan at 9. If we’re targeting WR or OT there I don’t think they’ll want to move off of it. DE maybe a small move depending on how many of them they like. If we add a 2 somewhere I keep coming back to us taking Fashanu/Alt or a DE at 9. I love all 3 of the top WR prospects but there is year 1 starter talent all the way through R2 and maybe into R3, and I’m sure we’ll sign a starting caliber WR early in FA too. I think Brax is a capable LT but I’m not sure I could pass on Fashanu or Alt at 9. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wonder if ATL is able to trade that conditional pick? if they traded us at pick next week, then in two weeks the jags re-sign Ridley and it bumps to a 2nd for us - I'm not sure i've ever seen a conditional pick traded in this league before

12 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

JF1 is better than all the rookie QBs.

Give him a C and a WR.... and play defense... we will be in the playoff this season.

He may be, he may not be. 

The problem is decision must be made now before Williams takes an NFL snap. I've come to terms with the fact that talent is not the only part of this equation, even though maybe it should be. Fields may very well end up having a better career than Williams. But the bottom line is, at the end of the day if you're Ryan Poles and you keep Fields and he doesn't lead us to at least a playoff win next season, you most likely lose your job. Poles is going to end up drafting Williams because it buys him leeway. Simply changing the quarterback buys Poles at least 2 more seasons to keep building.

These front office guys aren't dumb, they know teams aren't built overnight. As much as their job is to identify guys who will thrive in the NFL, an equal part of their job is "gaming the system" when it comes to the relationship with the owner. The owner isn't going to fire you one season or less after you took a QB first overall, unless the owner has more money than sense and/or is David Tepper.

Williams with his pedigree is extremely unlikely to be worse than Justin Fields. So Ryan Poles will make the easy decision and buy himself a minimum of two years of job security. Maybe it doesn't get to that point, and they decide Williams is the guy for other reasons, but at the end of the day Poles would have to either be a fool or have the world's biggest set of stones to not draft Williams.

And I say this as someone who thinks Fields is good enough to build around, and that maximizing the #1 pick by trading down likely generates the most value long term. Fields is a goner.

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 2