Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it’s a bit rich - if we get their 2 and move up in R1 I don’t think we get the latter pick. Strictly by the trade value chart, the difference between pick 8 and 9 itself is about the value of a mid 4th.

The full trade value would still only be worth a pick between #31 & #32…for me a late first would be more than fair for all.

56 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The full trade value would still only be worth a pick between #31 & #32…for me a late first would be more than fair for all.

I get that… I just don’t think there are enough other potential suitors to drive the price that high. If not ATL or PIT, is there a legit other suitor to give him a starting role with LV having hired Getsy? I’m not seeing one. 

Albert Breer said today the Bears had inquiries about Fields from 3 teams, the Falcons, Steelers, and Raiders. So I wouldn't rule LV out yet. If they think they've solved their QB problem without having to give up their first round pick, that would be valuable to them.

It's worth keeping in mind there are lots of draft pick trade value charts floating around and it's not uncommon for 2 teams to value a trade differently on each side. That's part of why deals get done, even when most people would say Team A fleeced Team B. Desperate teams will always overpay for QBs and teams will overpay for "potential". That's why guys like Darnold, Zach Wilson, and Lance were top 3 picks. 

21 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It’s weird that LV has interest.  I always figured Fields and Getsy didn’t get along well.  Guess their relationship improved over the year.

The interesting part to me is... if Getsy is okay with Fields, is it insane to think Fields feels okay with Getsy as well? Then take it one step further--if Fields doesn't think Getsy was the problem in 2023, and Getsy doesn't think Fields was the issue in 2023... what are they perceiving the issue with the offensive performance to be?

16 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The interesting part to me is... if Getsy is okay with Fields, is it insane to think Fields feels okay with Getsy as well? Then take it one step further--if Fields doesn't think Getsy was the problem in 2023, and Getsy doesn't think Fields was the issue in 2023... what are they perceiving the issue with the offensive performance to be?

The biggest issue on offense last year was the C/G's play.  The interior line was so bad it made the whole OL worse than it really was.  The OL didn't play together/well until the second half.  Even that second half level wasn't good enough either.

The WRs/Getsy's play calling and issues piled on...; however, if we had 50% better plays from the C/G all year long, the Bears would have been in the playoff.

1 or may be two 1st downs, the offense didn't get it.  One stop, the defense didn't get it done.  It's the reason why we lost 3 games late in the 4thQT.

49 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Maybe Flus?

Bears were verrrry conservative in the 2nd half of the season. And they won games. But Fields and Getsy took a lot of criticism. A lot of that blame was originally directed at Flus. People were calling for his job.

Wouldn’t be the first or last time a defensive HC pissed people off by heavy-handed risk aversion.

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Albert Breer said today the Bears had inquiries about Fields from 3 teams, the Falcons, Steelers, and Raiders. So I wouldn't rule LV out yet. If they think they've solved their QB problem without having to give up their first round pick, that would be valuable to them.

It's worth keeping in mind there are lots of draft pick trade value charts floating around and it's not uncommon for 2 teams to value a trade differently on each side. That's part of why deals get done, even when most people would say Team A fleeced Team B. Desperate teams will always overpay for QBs and teams will overpay for "potential". That's why guys like Darnold, Zach Wilson, and Lance were top 3 picks. 

The Breer thing feels like Poles floating their “interest” to Breer for potential leverage. Whether last year’s issues were more Fields or Getsy is irrelevant - they clearly aren’t a good fit together. 

On 2/28/2024 at 7:34 AM, AZBearsFan said:

A deal with ATL has the possibility to have unusual immediate gains because of the pick they got from JAX for Ridley, which converts from a 3 to a 2 if JAX re-signs Ridley

Pretty sure the Jags have to sign Ridley before the free agency period opens for that to convert. So they really have little incentive to do so when they can just wait for the deadline to pass and then agree to it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Pretty sure the Jags have to sign Ridley before the free agency period opens for that to convert. So they really have little incentive to do so when they can just wait for the deadline to pass and then agree to it. 

I don’t recall seeing that part of the condition anywhere but it would certainly change things. 

15 hours ago, CBears019 said:

It’s weird that LV has interest.  I always figured Fields and Getsy didn’t get along well.  Guess their relationship improved over the year.

I still need to see it happen to believe it.  

But maybe the interest isn’t coming from Getsy.  Also, maybe Getsy doesn’t hate it.   

But I can’t think he loves it.  Maybe he thinks they were close to some breakthroughs and just needed more time.  

Who knows really.  Without being on staff and in meetings you will never know.  

All three teams reportedly interested have some flags that they wouldn’t be.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

I still need to see it happen to believe it.  

But maybe the interest isn’t coming from Getsy.  Also, maybe Getsy doesn’t hate it.   

But I can’t think he loves it.  Maybe he thinks they were close to some breakthroughs and just needed more time.  

Who knows really.  Without being on staff and in meetings you will never know.  

All three teams reportedly interested have some flags that they wouldn’t be.  

It might be a thing where the alternatives are just worse.  No perfect option. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t recall seeing that part of the condition anywhere but it would certainly change things. 

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/lists/calvin-ridley-atlanta-falcons-trade-jaguars-nfl/

They break it down here. Unless they are really scared of some other team stealing him and they feel like they have to Franchise Tag him, there is no reason to let him “hit free agency”

Because there is no real “threat” of other teams talking to him once that hits, because we all know that happens way before those useless timeframes anyway. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Or maybe the current options are Take a chance on Justin Fields, or roll with Aidan O’Connell…

And even in the draft, they are looking at best at JJ McCarthy, but probably Michael Penix without moving up significantly. 

Nothing in Free Agency is a better option than Justin Fields right this second. A healthy Kirk Cousins would surely be, but that’s not a sure thing. Plus is he going to the Raiders???

The Bears are under no pressure to rush a trade of Fields. 

Raiders board poster had a nice summation of options they are facing (other than their status wuo) ditto for Atl and Pitt.

So basically our options include...

Kirk Cousins - Likely requires a 2 year deal at $35M+ fully guaranteed

Russell Wilson - Veteran minimum for his first year under contract, after that I'm not sure

Justin Fields - Likely costs a 3rd/4th and a $25M commitment for 2025-2026

Draft

Maye/Williams/Daniels - Likely costs three FRP's + more to get into position for one of them

Nix / Penix - Reach at #13, could be decent value with a trade back or trade back into the late 1st

McCarthy - Will require a trade into the top 10 that will cost at least a 2nd, possibly a future 1st

I think Fields goes for a 2nd.  A 2nd and change if all 3 are really interested.

I think deal gets done before FA.  It’s probably agreed in principle shortly after this week.  

• Like 1