Thursday Night Football- Vikings @ Eagles

KingOfNewYork

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Eagles
    • Vikings

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Completely unrelated to the game but HOLY HELL do the Eagles have a tough schedule starting in the middle of October

vs Miami, @ Commanders (ignore this), vs Cowboys, @ Chiefs, vs Bills, vs 49ers, @ Cowboys, 

Miami, Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills, and 49ers very well could be 5 of the 6 best teams in the NFL (the other team being the Eagles).  And they play them all in a 7-game stretch.

Not sure they can afford to get upset in one of their next 4 games.  

Divisional game on the road vs WFT is no walk in the park either… absolutely brutal stretch and if the Eagles want any hope at the 1 seed, 5-1 or better is pretty much a must going into this stretch. Come out of it 10-3 best case, but 4-3 much more realistic expectation… and that’s assuming we’re legit contenders. 

Although I guarantee by the time we reach that stretch, at least 1 of those games doesn’t look nearly as hard as we’re projecting it to be (and hell, same goes for us, we’re a big bad on everyone’s schedule but through 2 weeks it’s feasible this is just a 10 win, good not great, squad. TBD).

Cousins chucked the ball well. Some really impressive throws. Jefferson continued to dominate as usual. I wonder if regardless of how the season goes, will the Vikings just find a way to give Cousins a new contract if he has another quality year??? Assuming Cousins wants to keep playing, and is healthy enough to do so. Justin Jefferson is going to need somebody to get him the ball, and Cousins at least does that. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I can assure you it wasn’t meant to be complimentary. 

I only watched a few minutes, right after halftime. I have no doubt Kirk looked great at times, even in the first half, and dotted a lot of throws. But the script with him is usually pretty similar. Sharp start, then you eventually get the patented back-breaking turnover that puts the team behind the 8 ball. And if they do fall well behind, he’s going to light it up. I could have told you the second Smith caught that deep ball to put the Eagles up 20 that Kirk was going to catch fire — I actually turned the game back off because I didn’t want to watch that.

I’ve been closely following Kirk for over a decade now — I’m very aware of what he is. 85% of the time, he’s one of the very best QBs out there. Not many have ever thrown a better ball between 20-40 yards than Kirk Cousins when he’s hot. But the other 15% of the time, it’s like he’s actively trying to break your heart as a fan. Like he just blanks out for a bit. That’s just who he’s always seemed to be.

You mostly lost me at talking about turnovers. Kirk doesn’t turn the ball over to any egregious extent at all. 

As far as breaking your heart goes? This isn’t Washington Kirk, and that much should be obvious. How many miracles did he help produce last year? How many come from behind victories and game winning drives?

The guy plays hero ball. He stands in there and takes shot after shot landing into the turf slinging accurate mid-deep shots while his line gets him killed. 

I’m not saying the guy is in the very top tier of quarterbacks.. but the criticism he gets is laughable at best.

Keep in mind this is coming from a Cowboys fan. Definitely glad Washington let the guy get away.

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KFP7 said:

what the point of a hail mary to the 20....just do a lateral play to at least give guys a chance to run

Mattison and Hock were running upfield towards the clump of WRs/DBs right around the time the ball landed near Osborn and Jefferson. My honest guess is they hoped you could get Osborn or Jefferson to catch it and then pitch it back to one of those guys, or at least maybe knock it up or deflect it to one of them. Cross between a hail mary and a hook and ladder. Otherwise, if it was meant to be a pure hail mary, the routes Hockenson and Mattison run make absolutely no sense. Even Addison, actually, starts kind of crossing the field around that same point and time, underneath that same group of players. Not early enough to join in on the jump ball, but at the right time to be a few yards shallow of Jefferson/Osborn when the ball lands.

Unlikely to succeed, but honestly, about as likely as anything else.

• Like 2

Why haven’t they changed that fumble rule out of the end zone yet? The offense should retain possession. Onus should be on the defense to recover the ball. I think the ball should come out to the 20 but with the offense retaining possession.

Edited by WheatieMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Now that I think of it, in Vikings history Kirk might already be the 2nd most prolific QB in franchise history after Tarkenton when taking into account number of games played in addition to consistency. Crazy how time flies. 

I think he surpassed Culpepper for games started so yes he’s up there. History will reflect kindly on him if he can manage a deep playoff run, but the Vikes are a cursed franchise so it may not happen here. Can’t imagine he’s terribly far from what people think of when they think of Tony Romo or Philip Rivers at the end of the day. Cousins receives a lot of hate. Probably too much; every fan wants a Burrow or Hurts under center. And rightfully so. 

3 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Why haven’t they changed that fumble rule out of the end zone yet? The offense should retain possession. Onus should be on the defense to recover the ball. I think the ball should come out to the 20 but with the offense retaining possession.

Another rule favoring the offense ? Damn. 

The rule is fine. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

The rule is fine. 

It’s not like the defense possessed the ball at any point during the play. Still think the offense has more right to the ball then the defense but I don’t know, stick the ball on the 20 with no shot of a first down and continue the next down, it shouldn’t be an automatic first down. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

The rule is fine. 

The issue is the goal line plays. You can't have teams sticking the ball over the endzone carelessly on 3rd and 4th & Goal at the one yard line. That has to be punitive. What you can do is, in a Goal to Go situation, you keep the rule in place, but on a big play like that with a 1st down being converted, the ball comes back to the 20 yard line for the offense. 

5 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

You mostly lost me at talking about turnovers. Kirk doesn’t turn the ball over to any egregious extent at all. 

???

Third in turnovers in 2022.

Second in turnovers in 2020. 

Third in turnovers in 2018.

Second in turnovers in 2017.

In 2021, 2019, 2016, 2015 he was middle of the pack with double digit turnovers. 

• Like 1