The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If they choose to pass on QB to trade back for an OT and Maye or Daniels end up being great its going to look very bad on this regime. 

It does. But it looks a lot worse if you take them and you get Daniel Jones or worse and for Daniels if he doesn’t look like Kyler or close to any of the other runners your in bigger trouble.

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

It does. But it looks a lot worse if you take them and you get Daniel Jones or worse and for Daniels if he doesn’t look like Kyler or close to any of the other runners your in bigger trouble.

I don't agree. Not trying at all is far worse than being too scared to get it right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't agree. Not trying at all is far worse than being too scared to get it right. 

I'm fairly confident that only Caleb Williams has the tools to be a franchise QB and that is if he figures out how to mature and be a professional. 

I know there are a lot of people that feel differently, but I would take MHJr or Alt/Fashanu over every QB prospect-wise. 

It sounds so dramatic that on April 25th pick 2 can’t be stressed enough on how important it will be. Ton of pressure on Peters to get this right and hate to say this but there are lot more misses than hits for QBS in the first round. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It sounds so dramatic that on April 25th pick 2 can’t be stressed enough on how important it will be. Ton of pressure on Peters to get this right and hate to say this but there are lot more misses than hits for QBS in the first round. 

And you have to consider the pressure of the last 1st round QB he was involved in drafting, total whiff and a massive outlay of draft capital.  He should be scared of trading up after that incident.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, offbyone said:

And you have to consider the pressure of the last 1st round QB he was involved in drafting, total whiff and a massive outlay of draft capital.  He should be scared of trading up after that incident.

You know -that is VERY scary indeed ! Boy Genius ain't peffect though maybe it wasn't his call at all.I think Caleb is the only Q B worth a top 5-6 pick. I'm trading down if I can't get him .

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

You know -that is VERY scary indeed ! Boy Genius ain't peffect though maybe it wasn't his call at all.I think Caleb is the only Q B worth a top 5-6 pick. I'm trading down if I can't get him .

Yeah, we can't just look at the good moves in San Fran, we have to acknowledge he was there for some bad too.  And that was a debacle of epic proportions.  No doubt it wasn't his call but I believe he was the top dog of college scouting at the time.  He failed to convince Kyle that Lance wasn't worth 3 1st round picks.

Hopefully he learned from that.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t agree. Because swinging and missing puts you back here and going through hires and fires. Moving back accumulating more picks allows you more chances to infuse a roster with youth and talent and allows you to give whatever QB you select a better chance to develop. Yes if you make a pick at 2 and it’s not a QB and you miss or the QB hits you passed on hits even if your guy hits that puts pressure on you. I see what you’re saying if you don’t have YOUR guy you have no shot. That I am lock step with you on. But there’s nothing saying that the guy they expect taken at 2 is their guy. So if hypothetically because what I posted was I’d trade back in for JJ McCarthy. What if they took him 2? How would you feel? If that’s their guy? You’d be chanting the same thing fire them just like if they don’t make the pick they dont think is their guy. 

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t agree. Because swinging and missing puts you back here and going through hires and fires. Moving back accumulating more picks allows you more chances to infuse a roster with youth and talent and allows you to give whatever QB you select a better chance to develop. Yes if you make a pick at 2 and it’s not a QB and you miss or the QB hits you passed on hits even if your guy hits that puts pressure on you. I see what you’re saying if you don’t have YOUR guy you have no shot. That I am lock step with you on. But there’s nothing saying that the guy they expect taken at 2 is their guy. So if hypothetically because what I posted was I’d trade back in for JJ McCarthy. What if they took him 2? How would you feel? If that’s their guy? You’d be chanting the same thing fire them just like if they don’t make the pick they dont think is their guy. 

I wouldn't be chanting to fire them. I'd be completely perplexed hoping for the best but I don't think McCarthy is any good. I think there are potentially three top-flight QB prospects in this draft. There absolutely none of those next year so you're most likely not drafting one next year if you don't take one this year and then hoping and praying you can get one in 2026. Its dumb to me. You're in a prime position right now to take a major swing and you don't have to give up extra assets to do it. The Bears only look like they made the right choice because they ended up with the first pick in a QB heavy draft class. If we trade this pick away and end up with the first pick next year what are we doing? Taking Ewers or Sanders? Both of whom aren't anywhere near as good as Maye or Daniels. 

It took near divine intervention for them to end up with this pick. So many crazy things had to break our way and they all did. Stop looking the gift horse in the mouth and take one of these damn QBs. If it doesn't work out but Peters builds a great squad like they did in San Fran he'll get another chance to find a QB. But to not even try? Nah I'm not okay with that. We've selected like two QBs in the top 5 of the draft in 50 years or something crazy. Just take Maye or Daniels and build a team around them. I like Maye a lot more but at this point I don't care, just pick one of these two and lets get rolling. I'm tired of kicking this can down the road trying out middling backups or late round picks while other teams select their young guy and are in the playoffs every year. This second overall pick was an absolutely gift with three potential franchise QBs and two of them we're guaranteed to have a shot at. Don't blow this opportunity trying to get greedy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

end up with the first pick next year what are we doing? Taking Ewers or Sanders? Both of whom aren't anywhere near as good as Maye or Daniels. 

Preach. PREACH. 

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It took near divine intervention for them to end up with this pick

The football gods must be smiling upon us.  lol.  But it is kind of true.  There was a long time we were more just thinking about how we might be lucky enough to get a top 10 pick.  How we got #2 is still fairly shocking. 

I hate the losing for draft picks game, but with us rebooting, it is a fortuitous year to have the draft capital.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm fairly confident that only Caleb Williams has the tools to be a franchise QB

Maybe it’s just a phrasing thing and I’m being too literal because I’m accustomed to “tools” meaning “abilities.” But this feels like an odd thing to say.

What “tool(s)” do you feel Maye and Daniels lack?

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3