The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Well, mark me down as one who believes we trade down from #2.

My Prediction: We trade down with Arizona.

Washington gets Arizona's #4 in 1st, #27 in 1st & either their 3rd rounder in 2024? Or their 2nd in 2025.

Arizona gets our #2. (Perhaps a late day 3 pick)

Arizona moves up for MHj. They don't want New England taking him there at #3 & they're concerned with the Giants or any team in the top 10 moving up to #2 or even #3(NE) & taking their WR.

Bears take Caleb Williams @#1.

Arizona takes MHj @#2.

New England takes QB Drake Maye @#3.

And Washington takes QB Jayden Daniels @#4.

Then, they either stay at #27 & take best player at that spot?

Or they package #27 & our 2nd to move up in the draft for our OT. (Perhaps back in the top 10)

This is what I'm predicting.

This is crazy lol. Why would Arizona trade up for a receiver nobody before them is going to pick? 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This is crazy lol. Why would Arizona trade up for a receiver nobody before them is going to pick? 

His premise was a team jumping to #3

• Like 1

Ken Johannesen

A name to keep an eye on is Owen Glascoe - a tight end for Long Island Univ.  At 6'4' 245 lbs., Glascoe attended Syracuse's Team Pro Day and stole the show.  

His measurables were impressive and he is a transfer from Penn St.  Glascoe could be a late round or priority UDFA steal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He's not. He left the SEC where he mostly struggled and went to an offense where he could dump the ball off 75% of the time. 

"His average depth of target was 6.9, aka 4th shortest in college football last year (default 20% filter on PFF).

Behind LOS - 95.8% on 118 attempts for 780 yards

Short (0-9 yards) - 80.9% on 173 attempts for 1,334 yards"

Ripped from Reddit per soupcansam21

His Comp is actually Marcus Mariota. Comping anyone in college this year to Breese would def be Penix. He slings that ball Vertically

Man I know we need a bigger body but the idea of X Worthy and that speed man that’s a serious game changer. Also I really like the Oregon WR!!! He was on his way early in the year to having a similar season to Rome and I think they are very similarly smooth players who can pluck the ball out the air. I love Jahan and Terry but if you were staring Worthy in the range of our 3rd selection our second 2nd round pick I know it isn’t size but the kids route running is on Zay Flowers level but his speed is absolutely deadly and all of it shows up on tape. I do hate the concentration drops that do show up but most burners have them coming out of college. It’s do they master their reps and work on the jugs as a pro that really determine correcting those issues.

• Like 1

Also I went back to do some work for next years A&M defenders and good lord Edge Cooper is a tank. I’m just excited at the idea of this staff no longer ignoring any position group. Get the best player no matter the position and find dominate players.

• Like 1

My only hope for Jayden Daniels and as exciting as he is and as much as I like the person of the field; my hope is if he’s our guy is we get to get the years of excitement we missed out on with RG after the first season that really looked like it was changing the game.

13 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

My only hope for Jayden Daniels and as exciting as he is and as much as I like the person of the field; my hope is if he’s our guy is we get to get the years of excitement we missed out on with RG after the first season that really looked like it was changing the game.

I just don't think he's anywhere near the talent RG3 was. I think Daniels is good but RG3 was faster, better built and had a much better arm. He wasn't as good or advanced a passer as Daniels but he was just an overall better athlete. I think the things Daniels got away with in the college level just won't be there for him in the pros because he doesn't have the arm to beat NFL level defenders. I think its the same issue Bo Nix is going to have at the next level. I genuinely believe he falls on draft night beyond the top 5. I think McCarthy goes before him. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don't think he's anywhere near the talent RG3 was. I think Daniels is good but RG3 was faster, better built and had a much better arm. He wasn't as good or advanced a passer as Daniels but he was just an overall better athlete. I think the things Daniels got away with in the college level just won't be there for him in the pros because he doesn't have the arm to beat NFL level defenders. I think its the same issue Bo Nix is going to have at the next level. I genuinely believe he falls on draft night beyond the top 5. I think McCarthy goes before him. 

I mean we all know my feelings on McCarthy. He’s actually the guy I’d take at one if I was a GM job on the line. But that said I’d sit him atleast 6 weeks also which would be another not popular opinion.
That said I can see all that with Jayden. I love the guy I love his story loved breaking down his HS tape and I think he’s got just as much chance to be the guy in this class as anyone. But his concerns are real. I think my stance on how I feel about McCarthy and my concerns with Daniels has really opened it up to put Maye as my 3 because like JJ I’d sit him too atleast 6 games. But it’s just for the player it isn’t because I don’t think either couldn’t earn the spot. They have a very similar skillset. Maye is bigger maybe alittle more gas in the arm but it’s not far off both throw differently. JJ has a quicker twitch and levels better Maye is winded up but threads this pistol missles better.

6 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

IMO, no one is trading up for a non-QB in the top 3. If NE passes on a QB for MHJr, I would be extremely shocked. 

Yes. 100%.

These top 3 picks represent the opportunities to try to land the single most coveted asset in the sport — potential franchise QBs. Players who have a genuine chance — and all the requisite physical and mental tools — to be stars in the league.

I believe extremely strongly that Williams, Maye, and Daniels are going 1-2-3, in some order. I just see no way, when it’s basically a free market, that a team seeking a WR will value that pick more than a team seeking a guy they see as the future face of their franchise. That goes for the decisions of teams trading up and for the decisions of the teams considering trade downs (like us and NE, as well as maybe ARI).

I think the most interesting questions are (a) whether NE just takes the last remaining “top” QB or trades their pick to someone who wants him badly and (b) whether anyone from that DEN-OAK-MIN group loves McCarthy enough to make a power offer to get him at 4. 

• Like 1

Is it weird that one of the points for me against Daniels is the general field we play on? Like I know sometimes things are freaky, but, I'd be lying if I didn't say that wasn't a concern. YES, I AM THAT GUY.

Related point: I also just have to say, the love fest the draft community has for MHJ is a little much. Exceptional prospect, terrific player, any team would be lucky to get him on board. But folks are acting like he’s a great bet to be Jerry Rice, and the downside out is just Jamarr Chase or something. 

I think I have him as WR1, but Nabers and Odunze are both absolutely legit. In my book, they’re probably the three top non-QB prospects in the draft. And it’s not like he doesn’t have any question marks. Production is a tick lower than the other two, especially the last season (I know, bad QB, but it is what it is). Had the highest drop rate of the three. And now he refuses to work out, so it will be impossible to truly compare pure athletic traits. Odunze had a great combine, and Nabers will likely run in the 4.3s and put up great shuttle/cone times at LSU’s pro day. Harrison’s probably a great athlete, but…who the hell really knows?

I’m still a big fan of the player and all that. It’s just this concept of teams trading up into the highly coveted top 3 to get Harrison or turning down massive trade packages because they’ve gotta have Harrison — I think it’s a bit much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Agreed, and that was my point. As far as everything I saw he is doing this. He just isn’t running around in his underwear. 

Then he's getting great advice from his agent. No need to do that other stuff. But yeah he definitely needs to get some face time with the teams and let them take a look at him.