The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I have no clue what people see in McCarthy? He does nothing at an elite level but I guess he's good at them if that makes sense?

I am getting more and more open minded to JJ.  Maybe I am reading to many of @ripsean21's posts.  But in terms of your statement above, I think he runs a pro style offense at a more elite level than Williams, Maye and Daniels.  I am pretty open minded to JJ.  I kind of think his pro comp is more like a brock purdy.  Not a spectacular athlete, but pretty darn good at all aspects of the qb position.  In some ways he is more setup to succeed in the pros mentally than any of these other guys and yet he younger than them all.  

By the way, I have to admit, I absolutely love Harbaugh's approach to the qb position at michigan.  It is the most important position on the field, but he took the approach of I am not making it any more important than it has to be.  I think that is the approach that can help an offense stay viable even if you lose a qb.  I also think it is a great approach to developing a young qb.  I am surprised we don't see more of this in the NFL where almost every team seems live and die by qb play.  Harbaugh just showed us how to de-emphasize the position and how you can still win with less.

• Like 1

Regardless of picks the fact that every local media person has said that inside information coming out of here is a vault that in itself is a win. We love having all these picks and some just won’t pan out. It always happens. But for nothing else for this offseason it’s a start of real organizational responsibility. That is a win and that in itself means whoever they decide on we should be happy

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am getting more and more open minded to JJ.  Maybe I am reading to many of @ripsean21's posts.  But in terms of your statement above, I think he runs a pro style offense at a more elite level than Williams, Maye and Daniels.  I am pretty open minded to JJ.  I kind of think his pro comp is more like a brock purdy.  Not a spectacular athlete, but pretty darn good at all aspects of the qb position.  In some ways he is more setup to succeed in the pros mentally than any of these other guys and yet he younger than them all.  

By the way, I have to admit, I absolutely love Harbaugh's approach to the qb position at michigan.  It is the most important position on the field, but he took the approach of I am not making it any more important than it has to be.  I think that is the approach that can help an offense stay viable even if you lose a qb.  I also think it is a great approach to developing a young qb.  I am surprised we don't see more of this in the NFL where almost every team seems live and die by qb play.  Harbaugh just showed us how to de-emphasize the position and how you can still win with less.

I love JJ because that is everything I missed on Purdy and he unlike Purdy has a plus level arm and even better legs. I try to learn lessons from every miss and this guy is everything you need as a pro for how he handled scrutiny whether directed at him or his program etc. He lead his team. And it doesn’t matter how good their scheme or players or run game is. If you’re gonna win the QB will always have to make 2 or 3 plays every single game especially the big ones. And he did just that. And he never complained or said hey I need to be highlighted to win an individual accolade the ring and team was always what he put first. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Jordan Travis clearly outplayed him. FSU scored 31 unanswered points in the second half and LSU was a top 5 team at the time. 

With the amount of propping up of QBs, if Jordan Travis stays healthy, he is a top 10 pick IMO. 

He is honestly the one QB, I hope we come away with, especially in the 3rd/4th, from this draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

With the amount of propping up of QBs, if Jordan Travis stays healthy, he is a top 10 pick IMO. 

He is honestly the one QB, I hope we come away with, especially in the 3rd/4th, from this draft. 

As an FSU fan who has watched every game, I can tell you that Jordan Travis is a great guy and a good college QB. But will not be a good NFL QB. 

He has some serious durability issues and is often inaccurate on the deep ball. He was made to look better this last season because of an outstanding supporting cast. FSU could have been even more dominant this past season with a more consistent QB. 

18 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

As an FSU fan who has watched every game, I can tell you that Jordan Travis is a great guy and a good college QB. But will not be a good NFL QB. 

He has some serious durability issues and is often inaccurate on the deep ball. He was made to look better this last season because of an outstanding supporting cast. FSU could have been even more dominant this past season with a more consistent QB. 

Man I didn't watch all of his games this year, but I got glimpses of what I think is absolutely NFL caliber. Maybe you are right and he is propped up by his supporting cast, but I also think it's important to note that he was a leading candidate for the Heisman before his injury and an undefeated Seminole team got left out of the college playoff specifically for Jordan Travis's absence. 

"The protocol requires the Committee to take into consideration the unavailability of key players that may affect a team’s performance during the post-season. Simply put, Florida State is not the same team without its star quarterback. That caused the Committee to believe that there were indeed four teams that should rank higher than FSU."

Based off that and the fact they got smacked in their bowl game 63-3, I think his impact is more than you are giving him credit for, but you follow them more closely than I do. 

I think a 3rd or 4th round flyer on Jordan Travis is a much better bet than a 2nd overall pick bet on Maye or Daniels if we were weighing cost-to-benefit. 

Edited by Slappy Mc

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I love JJ because that is everything I missed on Purdy and he unlike Purdy has a plus level arm and even better legs. I try to learn lessons from every miss and this guy is everything you need as a pro for how he handled scrutiny whether directed at him or his program etc. He lead his team. And it doesn’t matter how good their scheme or players or run game is. If you’re gonna win the QB will always have to make 2 or 3 plays every single game especially the big ones. And he did just that. And he never complained or said hey I need to be highlighted to win an individual accolade the ring and team was always what he put first. 

I'm big on McCarthy and have been for two months, before he rocketed up the board.

he's only 21! think of how much better, wiser, more adaptive, quicker, stronger he can still become. he should want to come to the Vikings, as we have the best environment for him to learn in and then flourish.

you guys should take Maye. take Daniels. heck, take Marvin if you want to.

let McCarthy roll to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I'm big on McCarthy and have been for two months, before he rocketed up the board.

he's only 21! think of how much better, wiser, more adaptive, quicker, stronger he can still become. he should want to come to the Vikings, as we have the best environment for him to learn in and then flourish.

let McCarthy roll to us.

Unless you’re moving to 4, we’re not the ones to worry about. Strong links are between JJ and the Giants. 

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

let McCarthy roll to us.

I’d be shocked if we took him but I’d love too see it. I’ve been on him since HS then when they split time at Michigan my best friend is a UM fan I told him if they just go to him full time I believe they can get a chip and did. He’s just the type of guy I have wanted here for a long time nothing special as far as one trait or the other but he has it upstairs and I agree he is going to make a staff look really smart for taking him because he does the things behind the scenes it takes that are very hard to scout. 

personally I think yall are SB contenders in 3 years with JJettas and Addison with McCarty. He’s just the one I love the most in this class and it’s just years and years of hits and lessons through misses and watching guys struggle with highs and lows that effect them on the field and working through them that I think he has all the things to handle those situations the way you have too.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Unless you’re moving to 4, we’re not the ones to worry about. Strong links are between JJ and the Giants. 

yeah. i want Az to stand pat on their 4 and use it, and we trade with the Chargers at 5.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Just now, vike daddy said:

yeah. i want us trading with the Chargers at 5.

My Michigan best friend is also a chargers fan and his buddy is a Vikings fan and they both want that also. But he also wants Bowers at 5 I think it’s a super talented exciting class I’m ready to go

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

he has it upstairs and I agree he is going to make a staff look really smart for taking him because he does the things behind the scenes it takes that are very hard to scout. 

McCarthy, at his Pro Day: “I just wanted to showcase the questions they had about out-breakers to the left and putting some air on the deep posts, stuff like that. I felt like I did that today. I’m pretty confident with the showing I put out there.”

“It’s also about potential, traits, character — all that little stuff. You could throw for 5,000 yards in a year, but if you have awful character and your teammates don’t like you, what’s that going to do for you? I pride myself on the intangibles and being able to be a leader.”

“With all this added pressure that comes with being a franchise quarterback and being drafted and all that, it just brings me back to the roots of, ‘Hey, this is just a game at the end of the day. When you zoom out on planet Earth and look down, all this pressure that you’re feeling really isn’t there at the end of the day.”

McCarthy eschews social media and focuses on meditation and positivity. He calls himself “unique” in that way. On Friday, McCarthy wore his signature smiley face, a symbol of his mindset, on the back of his workout shirt instead of his name.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-j-mccarthy-on-his-pro-day-results-im-pretty-confident-with-the-showing-i-put-out-there

i find this guy incredibly matured and balanced out, and he's only 21!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

McCarthy, at his Pro Day: “I just wanted to showcase the questions they had about out-breakers to the left and putting some air on the deep posts, stuff like that. I felt like I did that today. I’m pretty confident with the showing I put out there.”

“It’s also about potential, traits, character — all that little stuff. You could throw for 5,000 yards in a year, but if you have awful character and your teammates don’t like you, what’s that going to do for you? I pride myself on the intangibles and being able to be a leader.”

“With all this added pressure that comes with being a franchise quarterback and being drafted and all that, it just brings me back to the roots of, ‘Hey, this is just a game at the end of the day. When you zoom out on planet Earth and look down, all this pressure that you’re feeling really isn’t there at the end of the day.”

McCarthy eschews social media and focuses on meditation and positivity. He calls himself “unique” in that way. On Friday, McCarthy wore his signature smiley face, a symbol of his mindset, on the back of his workout shirt instead of his name.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-j-mccarthy-on-his-pro-day-results-im-pretty-confident-with-the-showing-i-put-out-there

i find this guy incredibly matured and balanced out, and he's only 21!

Totally agree, but be aware the last qb @ripsean21 was obsessed with ended up a viking and a bust.  I think it is a @ripsean21/viking curse.  Tread carefully.

• Like 2

The words “JJ McCarthy” and “pro style offense” really don’t belong in the same sentence, but I see it all over the place.

I understand that term has become shorthand for “he took snaps under center,” but what pro offense can anyone name that runs the ball over 60% of the time and doesn’t allow the QB to make even basic checks at the line? I’m not familiar with any.

I don’t think it has to be too complicated with JJ. If you draft him, you’re betting on traits. You’re betting on the intangibles and the legs and the impressive flashes with the arm. They're good traits. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have him as QB4 and I think these teams are being rational in considering trading up for him.

But it’s virtually impossible to translate what he was doing out there to the NFL, because in a draft filled with guys who had easy jobs (Daniels, Nix, even Penix), JJ carried less of the load than anyone. Making a few throws a game against stacked boxes is not the same game that guys like Maye and Williams were playing. We’re talking about a guy who started 15 games and threw a total of 34 passes (1 TD) in the 4th quarter — and tossed in a total of 6 rushing yards in the 4th quarter. He was along for the ride, as the best roster in the country won games. The college version of rookie Ben Roethlisberger.